My first grow (some pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. This is my first grow and it's being done in my closet.

I currently have:
400w HPS bulb
fan
nutrient water

and that's about it. However, being that I'm a chemist, I managed to make two CO2 generators to feed the plants. Great fun!

I'm only growing one plant currently as an experiment to see what conditions should be carried out for my other 11 seeds. :)

This is a Sensi Star, Indica. :)

*note* I've been looking into the "white spot" areas. I realize now that I've given the plant far too much light, so I turned off the lamp. I'll start with 12 hours light, and 12 off from here forward. But, to my knowledge, I think they'll go away. (please let me know if im wrong)

:fid:

samn1.jpg

samn2.jpg

samn3.jpg

I am not the most experienced grower myself but I have been coming here to chat with the farmers club for a while and have learned that this is a really good place to learn a boat-load about growing MJ from some very sharp people...The white spots on yer plant's leaves looks like nutrient spillage of some kind of chem film. Yu should not have any problems with keepin yer light on too long though. I would not recommend cutting them back to 12 on/12 off at this stage. All that I talk to have their plants under 24hours light while the plant is in veg stage then only switch to 12/12 when promoting flowering. I would also recommend that yu get some different lights for the vegetation stage of growth as plants (especially MJ) like certain spectrums of light during the different stages of growth. Yu can grow them entirely to harvest under sodium (hps) light but they will grow better and look much healthier when grown under the more "white" light, and then put under the sodium light during the flowering stage. If yu go to the lighting section of this forum, there is some good information on lighting types and differences. I would be glad to answer any questions for yu, and most anyone here is quite willing to help as well...As for the white "spots" on the plant, I would say take a CLEAN spray bottle and put ph balanced water in and spritz the plant until the water runs off the leaves, a couple of times, and see if that eliminates those spots. Good luck and welcome to yer new addiction...MJ farming that is:watchplant: :farm:

I agree dont cut back the lights to 12/12 untill you see sexual maturity ( the branches will start growing asymmetrical rather than symetrical) usually about a month or so or about 2' in hieght. untill that point you should run your lights 18/6 although some plants can process all 24 hours but usually just a waste of energy. also try to keep the temp below 80 and the ph of you nutrient mix around 6.5. theres so much more...let us know if any questions.

I just read both of your posts - very informative! Thank you very much for the information!!!

I'll get to turning the lights back on, then spray some de-ionized water(chemistry jargon, hehe) , err..filtered and see if that gets rid of those tiny white spots.

Thanks both of you! I'll post some more pictures in about two weeks to show the progress of the plant.

Again, as I want to one day be an experienced grower, this is more of a test-plant to see how to properly grow and harvest some body-loving indica. :eek:

Welcome Samantha, most growers here like to use either T-5 high output flouresent tube lighting or CFL's for veg growth.. Keep in mind those prefered have a 6500 k color rating with high luman output as well.. Also 24/7 hour cycle with the lights promote max growth and will not hurt the plants.. most generally switch over to HPS lights for flowering cycles 12/12. good grow medium is important too. Read read read is what I do as well as ask questions.. Have you got a PH meter yet? ph up and down solutions? you will need to adjust your PH when watering and feeding your plants so they can absorb nutes and promote max growth. I found alot of stuff suggested from people here at HTG supply online or a local hydroponic store in my area. If you google either there is an endless supply of everything you might need.. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Hero

24/7 light is best for growth, less stretch! The white isn't from light stress!

I would really recommend that you do some more reading. You really need to get the basics down. Check out the Resource Section and then read all the Stickies that apply to the way you are growing.

For starters, your plant need 24 hour light at this point in its life. You are not giving it too much light. You should plant more than 1 seed (once you get the basics down). I would forget the CO2 right now--there is a whole lot required for CO2 enhancement and it needs to be controlled and regulated. You need ventilation in your space--fresh air brought in and old air exhausted. You need an oscillating fan to move the air around and help strengthen the stem. Do not spray your plant with water (deionized or otherwise)--it doesn't need it and it is not good for it. Make sure the spots are not spider mites.

Hey THG; Why would yu not spray off the leaves to see if that is just a chem film (what it looks like to me)? I do a limited foliar feed on my girls with excellent results. I have had no problems using spray but I don't recommend it to others as it can be tricky

For most ppl, folier feeding is to fight a problem and isn't a nessasity to growing.

Get a microscope and look at the leave top and bottom make sure you don't have bugs on them.

Starting out forget the CO2 and concentrate on fresh air in the room and heat removel.

To much light causes bleaching of the top and new growth not little pin size dots.

ozzydiodude said:
For most ppl, folier feeding is to fight a problem and isn't a nessasity to growing.

Get a microscope and look at the leave top and bottom make sure you don't have bugs on them.

Starting out forget the CO2 and concentrate on fresh air in the room and heat removel.

To much light causes bleaching of the top and new growth not little pin size dots.

In response to this, im getting mixed opinions. Some people say not to have too much light, others say that at this stage to leave the light on 24/7.

I have noticed that some ends of the leaves are turning a lighter green....I can't help but think that isn't good :(

I think you are confusing light cycle time with lighting strength. For young seedling you want a weaker lights(lower lumen output(cfl,T-5, fluors)) on a 24 hours a day and after 2 or 3 weeks you switch the the stronger MH light (higher lumen output) and keep growing under a 24 hrs of light a day.

The tip of the leaves turning lighter or burnt looking just means you are close to overloading the nutes and should just back off a little on the nutes you are feeding them

ozzydiodude said:
I think you are confusing light cycle time with lighting strength. For young seedling you want a weaker lights(lower lumen output(cfl,T-5, fluors)) on a 24 hours a day and after 2 or 3 weeks you switch the the stronger MH light (higher lumen output) and keep growing under a 24 hrs of light a day.

The tip of the leaves turning lighter or burnt looking just means you are close to overloading the nutes and should just back off a little on the nutes you are feeding them

Great advice! Thank you very much!

Hushpuppy said:
Hey THG; Why would yu not spray off the leaves to see if that is just a chem film (what it looks like to me)? I do a limited foliar feed on my girls with excellent results. I have had no problems using spray but I don't recommend it to others as it can be tricky

LOL--I recommended no foliar spray to a new grower, you question me as to why, and then you close with this: "....but I don't recommend it to others as it can be tricky." :doh:.....

I don't think she has any kind of chem (chemical?) film on the foliage, especially since she has been spraying with plain water. She is not foliar feeding--she is just spraying with water. This serves no purpose and can contribute to mold and mildew. I see no reason to foliar spray unless you have a bad deficiency you are trying to treat.

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--I recommended no foliar spray to a new grower, you question me as to why, and then you close with this: "....but I don't recommend it to others as it can be tricky." :doh:.....

I don't think she has any kind of chem (chemical?) film on the foliage, especially since she has been spraying with plain water. She is not foliar feeding--she is just spraying with water. This serves no purpose and can contribute to mold and mildew. I see no reason to foliar spray unless you have a bad deficiency you are trying to treat.

Im spraying with nutrient water, about 15-20 drops of miracle grow nutrients(mostly just nitrogen) into 34oz of filtered water.

Don't folier feed IMO it just cause the plant to have problems with it nute up take. Folier is a last ditch effort to treat problems that could not be fixed in the medium.

Hi Samantha.
I was going to reply a couple of days ago but did not want to sound like I was criticising.
I think you are doing ok for your firts grow and your baby looks very nice apart from the spots. Now you have said you are spraying with nuted water, it explains my suspicion that the spots are nutes. Don't feed foiliar unless you have a deficiency as THG said or feeding fresh clones. The main reason for this is that by foiliar feeding, you are providing what the plant needs fia the leaves, which means it does not have to grow roots. Roots are like the foundations of a house, have a good foundation and the house is strong, get the idea?? The better your roots, the better your plant.

As for lights, Ozzy was on the money, lots of light but not too bright for babies. This means HPS is too powerful if kept close to seedlings, at a distance it is ok (How do you know if it is too close? Put your hand just above the plant with the light on and if your hand gets warm, its too warm for the plant. Many of us here use T5's or flourescent lights in the BLUE spectrum for young plants and run them 24/7.

Lastly, again THG was on the money mentioning an oscillating fan, I notice you have a fan in there, but make sure it is blowing across the plant to strengthen the main stem, I also turn my plants daily to ensure even growth.

Keep up the good work, listen to the wise "old" (mature) heads such as those trying to help you here and you will get some great results.

Lastly, again TGH, the giver of good advice, was right about reading, read, read a bit more, then some more and when you think you know enough, read a lot more!!! There is no such thing as too much knowledge when it comes to growing.

Stay frosty. W

woodydude said:
Hi Samantha.
I was going to reply a couple of days ago but did not want to sound like I was criticising.
I think you are doing ok for your firts grow and your baby looks very nice apart from the spots. Now you have said you are spraying with nuted water, it explains my suspicion that the spots are nutes. Don't feed foiliar unless you have a deficiency as THG said or feeding fresh clones. The main reason for this is that by foiliar feeding, you are providing what the plant needs fia the leaves, which means it does not have to grow roots. Roots are like the foundations of a house, have a good foundation and the house is strong, get the idea?? The better your roots, the better your plant.

As for lights, Ozzy was on the money, lots of light but not too bright for babies. This means HPS is too powerful if kept close to seedlings, at a distance it is ok (How do you know if it is too close? Put your hand just above the plant with the light on and if your hand gets warm, its too warm for the plant. Many of us here use T5's or flourescent lights in the BLUE spectrum for young plants and run them 24/7.

Lastly, again THG was on the money mentioning an oscillating fan, I notice you have a fan in there, but make sure it is blowing across the plant to strengthen the main stem, I also turn my plants daily to ensure even growth.

Keep up the good work, listen to the wise "old" (mature) heads such as those trying to help you here and you will get some great results.

Lastly, again TGH, the giver of good advice, was right about reading, read, read a bit more, then some more and when you think you know enough, read a lot more!!! There is no such thing as too much knowledge when it comes to growing.

Stay frosty. W

Absolutely! I've already raised the 400w HPS another foot to give the plant a breather in regards to heat. The fan is on 24/7 and the air-stream is just above the plant. I've stopped the nutes and gone back to filtered water.

Her growth was definitely stunted, but hey, that's why this is my test plant :p

Thanks very much for the kind and wise feedback, every bit of it has been noted and used. :)

it's just...so very slow :(
I end up just staring at the plant...waiting for it to produce :watchplant:

awww que triste .. You know Samantha your plant is at the stage where it should be growing rapidly.. everyday . new growth, new leaves excitement.. Do you have good grow medium? a good soil? Not many people use HID for veg growth , more seem to be using CFL or T5 during veg growth.. Get 2 or 3 CFL bulbs 6500k if possible.. You can find them if you look around.. 6500k is the kelvin temp measurment.. find a few and put them directly over your plant INCHS away.. she will love you for it. I promise. Hero

Latest posts

Back