My first grow with more than 1 plant!V.I.S.C. Vertigo (Blackberry x F'ing incredible)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a little confused at first as to what everyone was trying to say but yea i figured it out haha.

Also Puffin

to quote that link you posted about flushing. the first few sentences are still pretty ambiguous as to the terms actual meaning. It says "Flushing for our purposes typically implies"

The term flushing in regards to what I'm doing is still an accurate use of the word, but since it's not a universal meaning for the purpose of growing I probably could have avoided the debate by explaining what I was actually doing a bit further than "flushing" haha

Actually, this is my normal procedure for flowering plants. I generally go about 10 days between res changeouts. I top up if needed with pH'd water. I do not consider this in any way to be flushing.

Topping your rez up with only ph'd water is just weakening the nute solution bit by bit isn't it? I wouldn't consider that to be flushing if that's the case anyway. if you're still feeding them but just not adding more nutes it wouldn't make sense to think of that as flushing. I imagine it's a bit different with hydro than it is with soil. It still makes sense to me to call what I'm doing with a soil grow flushing though, maybe it's just me :)

Yup, that's it.

This is my definition of flushing: Pouring plain water amounting to 3-5 times the container size through your medium.

I have always thought there is 2 versions of the flush..1 is one you may have nute burn on your plants and need to flush or wash away the nutes that are lingering in the soil so you do not feed any nutes until u can see an improvement in your plant not so bad with hydro i have discovered if keeping an eye on the ph and nute levels with a ph pen and nute stick and just keep changing that bucket or whatever u are using for your hydro lol.

The 2nd version of the flush that i find most common is the final process of flushing or again washing away the nutes to give a nice taste i have used pk 13/14 is it? i cant remember the name properly and the taste of the bud was **** realy realy bad and i should have flushed the plant properly and that was used in week 6 of flowering. I like to flush after learing the hard way i like to see my plants use the last of the nutes they have and the leafs to go yellow maybe thats an old school look on it :D
I would honestly hope and beleive that most growers even first timers by the time they come to harvest would know all about the flush and the terms used for it as i am sure like me they would need to use it by then on there first grow ;) but diffrent folks diffrent strokes each to there own and all that.... but in all honesly as long as your weed tastes nice however you get there doesnt realy matter.

TGM

7greeneyes said:
If you're growing organic or "natural" barring a better word, then no need to flush. I feed organically (w/molasses waterings) literally up till I bring the plant down. Soley using chemical-based veg/bloom nutes, ime, you need to flush w/ plain water for ~7-10 daze.

I've taken samples and dried properly of chem prematurely vs. organic samples taken premature (i.e. no flush or straight water) and have gotten headaches from the chem's vs. no headaches from the organically fed (no flush or straight water)...jme

this is the right thing to do............dont feed them anything but a carb if you have to during flush with synthetic nutes! IE bud candy, molasses....

it will crackle, not burn proper.....headaches etc....flushing is the right thing to do!

PartyBro420 said:
Topping your rez up with only ph'd water is just weakening the nute solution bit by bit isn't it? I wouldn't consider that to be flushing if that's the case anyway. if you're still feeding them but just not adding more nutes it wouldn't make sense to think of that as flushing. I imagine it's a bit different with hydro than it is with soil. It still makes sense to me to call what I'm doing with a soil grow flushing though, maybe it's just me :)

your doing the same thing basically by just adding plain water for the next 2 weeks.....allows the soil to be diluted each time you add the next feed of water! therefore thinning out the amount of nutes left in the soil

Kushluvr said:
your doing the same thing basically by just adding plain water for the next 2 weeks.....allows the soil to be diluted each time you add the next feed of water! therefore thinning out the amount of nutes left in the soil

Indeed it is and lets face it even if the plant neded the most severe flush due to high nute levels i wouldnt flush it with 5 times the volume of my container anyway.

what i mean is if i had a 15 litre pot i would not flush 75 litres of water through it at once i am sure we all know that would realy bog down the plant if not kill it in some strains. I would flush with ph adjusted water as i live in a very hard water area and would flush every other day a little at a time so the plant could take up the fresh water and dilute the nutes down as said above.

TGM

Kushluvr said:

I see what you mean, and it is kinda the same now that i think about it, the only difference would be that with hydro you're still using a nute solution and weakening it as opposed to just stopping nutrients altogether, but the soil is obviously going to hold nutrients and moisture.

TGM said:
Indeed it is and lets face it even if the plant neded the most severe flush due to high nute levels i wouldnt flush it with 5 times the volume of my container anyway.

what i mean is if i had a 15 litre pot i would not flush 75 litres of water through it at once i am sure we all know that would realy bog down the plant if not kill it in some strains. I would flush with ph adjusted water as i live in a very hard water area and would flush every other day a little at a time so the plant could take up the fresh water and dilute the nutes down as said above.

TGM

Flushing is the same whether you are doing it for overnuting or before harvest. What you have described is not flushing--you are just diluting your nutes much in the same way I top up my res. Flushing is putting a large amount of plain water through your medium. The amounts are generally at the minimum 3 times your container size. Flushing properly will not bog down or kill your plants, but it is unnecessary most of the time. Most of us here only flush our plants in an emergency like overnuting, not at harvest.

i have had to do an emergency flush and i would no way reccomend putting 5 times my container volume i just think that is very OTT to me and i have had in no way needed to do that and i have been very casual with my nute feeding in the past and of course i am talking on a soil basis if i was doing hydro like i used to then i would change my water res twice daily until i felt the ppm was steady and had gone to where i wanted it to be.

TGM

Well, figured i'd go off topic of the "flushing" for now since THG was kind enough to start a new thread with a poll in regards to the topic!

Here's a photo of two of my Bongs. First is a HiGuy, blown in Vancouver. It's a beautiful piece, second was the first bong I ever bought. I got both at "The New Amsterdam Cafe" which is a cool little head shop that you can get stoned in hassle free. They also sell clothing, food (obviously duhhhh, it's a cafe for people getting the munchies after all hahaha) and host small parties.

This first piece in particular I don't smoke from often, since it's more suited for sharing.

newbong.jpg

TGM said:

TGM

right! when i feed nutes, i used drip clean, i feed nutes every time, with 5% run off that got sucked back up 1 minutes later....virtually no run off...so when i would flush, i wouldnt want runoff till the last couple of waterings...therefore utillizing the leftover nutes in the soil for the first week of flush, and minimizing the yellowing...

a friend of mine runs liquid budswell just for the flush only...? but hes organic..teas/coco..etc

Kush

Kushluvr said:
there getting frosty!!!!!! looking good!
Thanks mang!

A few more with different lighting. You can really see the colours a lot better this way. A nice frosty bud with some sexy purple leaves, and the cola from the tallest of the 3 plants.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Let's party bro. LOL Pretty purple colors coming out. Looks like some dank. Stay safe brother. :)

When's the annual MPF Picnic!!?!? haha Everyone should come to Vancouver for April 20th! The Marijuana festival is awesome. I hope to have a table set up this year to sell some clothing too.

Latest posts

Back