My First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main concern now is plants getting enough sunlight. I am not set up to give artificial light. Oh well, as a longtime friend reminded me, I have the instincts to grow anything.

You guys are doing things all wrong. This is what plants need. Brawndo!

Won't be able to repot until next week considering extreme rainstorms coming all week long. Then I have to weigh my options.
20210704_175315.jpg

Yes, they have gotten used to rainwater outside, on the surface of the earth. Now shrink that environment down to a few gallon pot,
What you put in it makes a much larger difference. I have always used distilled water, but since getting a reverse osmosis machine I am a convert. Seems to not only filter my water, but its PH is usually perfect, around 6.6-6.7 with my tap water going in. Adding a teaspoon or a little less of cal mag to a gallon of this RO water usually needs no adjustment up or down. It sure did with distilled water, every time. Soon we will see how flower nutes affect the RO water. Plus this thing can output some water in very short order, making hydro a possibility...With distilled it would be a continuous process, very time consuming. If the water stays PH good with my nutes (I anticipate it will need a little adjustment) I will indeed be pleased. Adding anything to the distilled water caused PH shifts that were sometimes hard to reverse, requiring over 40 drops of GH UP to get to 6.3 with nutes and cal mag.

Bubba

Was a little while ago someone suggested rainwater might not have the ideal pH. Awww... come on, I think plants have kind of got used to rainwater, before people came along, even!

Old holdover advice from the 70-80's maybe? We avoided rainfall when using buckets back then to keep pH from dropping . . . normal clear rain water is about 5.5, acid rain has a pH around 4 and was much more common in the eastern U.S. back then and wasn't the best for potted plants.

Of course at that time I was just a kid still growing with Peter's Pro 20-20-20 and garden soil . . . didn't even know about pH in relation to growing, but knew spring or well water was better than rainwater. A friend who went to ag school explained the pH thing to me a bit later on . . . not enough soil in a container to buffer the acidity of the rain.

Both from Crop King seeds. One on left was a smaller seed but I think it will catch up. White Widow Autos. Looking out to my front yard. Used to be filled with old oaks, downed by Hurricanes Charlie, Frances and Jean back to back.

I was just about to say the yard looks like Florida lol

That's a hybrid I see, similar to one of mine, 50% sativa.

Latest posts

Back