my first growroom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work 4 days a week. So that gives three full days to do work. The days I work I will have 2 solid hours to water and check on them. I have a laid back job and can take a day off whenever as long as I get my days in. Also my job involves me sitting on my *** for 48 hours a week so the last thing I wanna do at home is sit down.

If I get held up after 2 months with 24 plants I will put a hold on cloning. Actually I just got 10 Waikiki Queen seeds yesterday in the mail. So I wont have a full 12 my first go around. I was kind of thinking of doing 8 plants per month to make the room a little less congested. Maybe ill just do that. 8 per month.

I'm doing super soil so I only have to water straight water. Some say a small feeding at the end but by the sound of it they were using the same dirt from veg through flower. Ill be transplanting mine between cycles. That takes all the feeding scares out for the most part.

Back when I tried out growing the first time I grew one lady under reptile lights lol. she was fairly ugly. I cut her down and made 6 and grew them into some beautiful plants under a 600watt light. I was growing in dirt and not at any point did I find it labor intensive. I pruned them and cloned them. Trimming the bud is always time consuming but I will have help with that.

Ill make sure I don't over do myself. Thanks everyone for your input. Ill be posting pics once I get the dry wall installed. Should be this weekend.

Most of us aren't referring to the "time" factor, we're advising you on the "knowledge" factor. One you get a system down, then you can step your game up...but do as you'd like :)

72 plants is max. if your a care taker. 12 for myself and 12 for up to 5 patients. As long as your under 90 something plants its under federal even without a med card. I wouldn't go over 48. In my town meth and heroin are so bad the authorities don't care about marijuana. And it would be 12 clones a month. Not 50.

I'm not worried about the plants. I just wanted to know if the grow room plan sounded solid. I'm worried about light, heat, cooling and space. Not if I'm capable to handle that many plants. We will all find out if I'm capable in the end lol.

I'm not worried about the plants. I just wanted to know if the grow room plan sounded solid. I'm worried about light, heat, cooling and space. Not if I'm capable to handle that many plants. We will all find out if I'm capable in the end lol.

If you think that super soil can grow quality product, from start to finish with no nutes added,,,or checking soil condition on 48 plants at a time....or that growing is a "plug & play" hobby....well, good luck to ya :bolt:

If you are willing to step head long into this, then do a grow journal so that we can watch your progress and help you along the way. The only thing I would stress is to have your vegging/work room adjacent to the doorway going into the "complex" that way you can go in anytime and do work without having to go into the flower room as they do not like being disturbed at dark during flowering.

Also make sure you have solid air flow going from the grow spaces to the outside to vent heat,moisture, and oxygen that will build up from the lights and plants. You also need to have as good an input of fresh air that is cool enough and has plenty of CO2 in it. It should be fresh air that isn't heavy with moisture as high moisture is bad for MJ during flowering. Maintaining the atmosphere is as important as the lighting and soil, and water. :) You will either become a good, successful grower, or a sound advocate for starting out slow. It will be interesting to see which way it works out. You may end up being both :)

If you think that super soil can grow quality product, from start to finish with no nutes added,,,or checking soil condition on 48 plants at a time....or that growing is a "plug & play" hobby....well, good luck to ya :bolt:

I don't think that at all but first things first. I'm building my grow room and would like to focus on that at the moment. I'm not trying to blow off your advice.

If you are willing to step head long into this, then do a grow journal so that we can watch your progress and help you along the way. The only thing I would stress is to have your vegging/work room adjacent to the doorway going into the "complex" that way you can go in anytime and do work without having to go into the flower room as they do not like being disturbed at dark during flowering.

Also make sure you have solid air flow going from the grow spaces to the outside to vent heat,moisture, and oxygen that will build up from the lights and plants. You also need to have as good an input of fresh air that is cool enough and has plenty of CO2 in it. It should be fresh air that isn't heavy with moisture as high moisture is bad for MJ during flowering. Maintaining the atmosphere is as important as the lighting and soil, and water. :) You will either become a good, successful grower, or a sound advocate for starting out slow. It will be interesting to see which way it works out. You may end up being both :)

I already leaped head first into this lol. I bought a house specifically for growing and between supplies and materials im around the $10,000 mark spent. Where the door is located I cant make the first room veg with out making the room odd shaped. Ill have 6 hours when im awake when the lights are on though and clones will not be in the veg room. In the future I want to install a watering system.
I have vented light hoods which will be vented out side. ill have hot air exhaust vents in the ceiling vented outside and floor vents for fresh air from the basement with clean air from outside. I'm in MI so humidity wont be a problem until summer. Ill have the AC and dehumidifiers going in the basement as well and fans on thermostats pulling the air into the room.

Green mojo my friend. You came to the right place to get help,,thats for SURE.

Just reading about this venture has me worn out...lol
I wish you all the success in the world. One thing no one mentioned is your estimated electrical usage. You mentioned. $250/month? I run 1000 watt HPS, 4'8 bulb T5, 2 exhaust fans along with 3 oscillating fans and my monthly cost is $200. So you might want to recalculate your cost.

Green mojo!!!

a sketch of your design would help. it sounds like you are relying on active intake and passive exhaust? Try and take more time taking tips to minimize the errors. on such a scale grow errors can be much more costly, I have seen several growers who managed to pick decent first grows, but yours would surely be the biggest decent first grow that i had ever seen lol i hope so, good luck!

Just reading about this venture has me worn out...lol
I wish you all the success in the world. One thing no one mentioned is your estimated electrical usage. You mentioned. $250/month? I run 1000 watt HPS, 4'8 bulb T5, 2 exhaust fans along with 3 oscillating fans and my monthly cost is $200. So you might want to recalculate your cost.

Green mojo!!!

I did a quick calculation. My math could of been off but there is this thing called a "time of use meter" (I think that's the name) that my electric company hooks up. There is off peek power usage at night and on peak power usage during the day. Its12/12. The benefit is off peak power is around 5 cents per kilowatt hour. The downfall is on peak price almost doubles the normal price of power. On a regular power bill your charged an average rate between the two. Also weekends and holidays are off peak *** well.

a sketch of your design would help. it sounds like you are relying on active intake and passive exhaust? Try and take more time taking tips to minimize the errors. on such a scale grow errors can be much more costly, I have seen several growers who managed to pick decent first grows, but yours would surely be the biggest decent first grow that i had ever seen lol i hope so, good luck!

I tried to upload a pic. Idk what im doing wrong. In the winter the fans will pull air from the room through the lights and out of the room. Fresh air will come in through floor Vents. In summer the lights will be on a closed loop. Cool air in from the floor vents and hot air out through the ceiling vents. I installed the vents today and thought it might be more efficient to have the fans on the hot air exhaust rather than trying to push cold air into the room and mixing the hot air with the cold in the process. There will be a portable AC unit in the basement. I just insulated all the walls of the room. Interior as well.

View attachment IMG_0514.jpg

imo---i love your enthusiasm and the big picture sounds awesome---i believe you will achieve your goal---ime i tell you the set up is super most important to you getting to where you want to be---with the #'s you are talking about you will need reliable drainage for water overflow accidents etc---don't forget a dedicated sub panel for your electrical needs---some how some way it's best if you can tie into a 2 to 3" water waste line like for a washing machine---if you plan on ever using co2---the sliding door between veg and flower is not such a great idea---seal the room now so you are not doing the same work a second time---with such an investment in top equipment you will likely be running way too hot with only 6" venting and should consider how you will keep those rooms cool in the summer---i would go 8" air cooling---you might also re-consider transplanting idea---veg from 1-2 gal pots into final flowering 5-7 gal pots---instead of transplanting from 5 to 7 gal is waaaaay to much work for the payback---that to me just makes no sense at all---back breaking work---lastly off the top of my opinion is how you handle the odiferous scent of top shelf flowers---you will likely want a top shelf 100lb scrubber---legal or not---no reason to invite any attention from any lookie loos, popo. or possible thieves---would love to see pictures of the space---best to get the space dialed in before you start popping beans---looking forward to the show :lama:

imo---i love your enthusiasm and the big picture sounds awesome---i believe you will achieve your goal---ime i tell you the set up is super most important to you getting to where you want to be---with the #'s you are talking about you will need reliable drainage for water overflow accidents etc---don't forget a dedicated sub panel for your electrical needs---some how some way it's best if you can tie into a 2 to 3" water waste line like for a washing machine---if you plan on ever using co2---the sliding door between veg and flower is not such a great idea---seal the room now so you are not doing the same work a second time---with such an investment in top equipment you will likely be running way too hot with only 6" venting and should consider how you will keep those rooms cool in the summer---i would go 8" air cooling---you might also re-consider transplanting idea---veg from 1-2 gal pots into final flowering 5-7 gal pots---instead of transplanting from 5 to 7 gal is waaaaay to much work for the payback---that to me just makes no sense at all---back breaking work---lastly off the top of my opinion is how you handle the odiferous scent of top shelf flowers---you will likely want a top shelf 100lb scrubber---legal or not---no reason to invite any attention from any lookie loos, popo. or possible thieves---would love to see pictures of the space---best to get the space dialed in before you start popping beans---looking forward to the show :lama:

I like the drain idea. It would be super easy to install one. Its an old house with an open unfinished basement. There will be three 6in vents coming from the floor and two 8in for the exhaust in the ceiling. Plus the Lights will be on their own loop. I'm in the Midwest so it doesn't get crazy hot and the lights will be on at night. 8pm-8am for flower and 6pm-10pm for veg. Its rare if it get in the 90s. I'm worried about January when it gets down to -30f but with how this winter started I don't think it will get that cold. Its been 25 degrees above average. I definitely need something for smell. I'm worried about thieves. Meth and heroin use skyrocketed in the past few years and the crime rate to go with it. What does a scrubber do? I was leaning towards two 1000CFM Filters

6pm to10pm for vegg?????? 4hrs???? I must be high and missreading. Sorry.

Yeah I think so. Or hes saying 6pm to 10pm the next day,,,which would be 16hrs,,,but even that to me is not enough for vegging. I have always vegged 24/0,,,no off time.

Latest posts

Back