my first indoor growing - need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash

Reaction score
i purchased a 25inch, GE plant & aquarium brightstik flourescent. it puts out 33watts and 470 lumens. im hanging it roughly 3 inches from the tip of my baby plant (little over a week old) it was previously growing from natural sunlight on the windowcell. is it ok if i start it on a 24/24 light cycle? how long should i keep it on 24/24 or not keep it on? ALSO - is this light manageable for growing or was it a bad choice to buy it? THANKS

also i forgot to ask if i need a fan in my grow room constantly on and where should i face it

The light will do somethin' for you but don't expect much, most people will run a 18/6 cycle for veg and 24 for clones only. As for fans the more the air the better, 24/7 is fine, put it so it makes a good breeze on the plant but not thrashing it about until it gets big and strong, a good breeze will give you more co2 and help promote strong stems.

For optimum growth you need to supply 6,000 lumens per sq/ft.

i think that 24/0 light in the veg stage is awsome, your plants do not need a dark period while they are veging and will grow about 30% faster then they would normally.

But you need more light.

Biffdoggie said:
The light will do somethin' for you but don't expect much, most people will run a 18/6 cycle for veg and 24 for clones only. As for fans the more the air the better, 24/7 is fine, put it so it makes a good breeze on the plant but not thrashing it about until it gets big and strong, a good breeze will give you more co2 and help promote strong stems.
If you read several hundred of the books, magizines and posts on the subject of 24/7 or 18/6, you'll discover that by far the majority of people use 24/7 for the vegetative cycle, not the 18/6. Studies quoted by Ed Rosenthal have shown a very slight increase in yeild with a 24/7 in some cases, and no difference what-so-ever in others. It doesn't matter if a plant is being grown for clones or for product. The plant doesn't know what you have in mind and doesn't care. The healing of clones cuts should NEVER involve more than 30% of the entire plant mass.

Also, giving the plant more than a slight, light breeze at any time will only slow it's growth. A very light intermittant breeze is all it needs to strengthen it's structure. Pointing a fan at the top of the grow area with just enough wind to slightly move the plants is the best method. It will supply lots of fresh air and not hurt the plants.

stash said:
i purchased a 25inch, GE plant & aquarium brightstik flourescent. it puts out 33watts and 470 lumens. im hanging it roughly 3 inches from the tip of my baby plant (little over a week old) it was previously growing from natural sunlight on the windowcell. is it ok if i start it on a 24/24 light cycle? how long should i keep it on 24/24 or not keep it on? ALSO - is this light manageable for growing or was it a bad choice to buy it? THANKS
Even indirect sunlight from a window will be many thousands of lumens. The light you've got is great for an aquarium. 470 lumens won't do a thing for your plant but make it stretch. You need to get at least a 4 foot shop light for vegging. They cost 10 bucks or so at walmart. You'll need more light than that for flowering.

You need to go to the home page of this group and read the grow guide there. Or buy one of the many, many guides in stock at Barnes and Noble. By asking if that toy light is appropriate, you've shown that you've not read any grow guide at all. They all cover how much light is needed.

Latest posts

Back