my first veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

adyyy

hey all im looking for a lil advice on veging.. Right this is my 1st veg(my second grow my first grow was a couple of afganny kush which was ready to go striaght into flower).. Im gonna be growing 4 white skunk( picked up from mp that these was really the best for begginers).. Im running a 600w light in a 1 by 1 grow room.. Growing media is coco with the canna nutes.. seeds are sitting in a glass of water now they will be ready to go in tomorrow night.. What i wanna now really is wat nutes do i give them wen i pop the seeds in and what light is optimum for veg... Think im gonna drop them straight into the big pots( they are 11L air pots)(( dont really wanna be transplanting this grow from smaller pots not confident enough)).. There gonna be getting 2.5L air per hr( will upgrade my air pump wen i can)..

usually t5's are what most ppl use (i use an old Boeing surplus office light for clones/seedlings and newly rooted cuttings...lol.) to veg under, then switch to my 400 watt hps/mh, I veg for 24/7 till round 4 weeks or they show gender. When I flip them to (12/12) bloom they go under my 1kwhps.

You said yourself you're using canna nutes, so what's your questions regarding nutes? I'm a not the sharpest in the a.m. but I'm a bit cornfuzed... :confused2: I myself use only the nutrients available in the FFOF soil and pot up after four weeks when all the goodies have been consumed, utilizing BigBloom in veg and bloom and then molasses after second week of flower along with BigBloom...So I pretty much only use one nute throughout...

I'm not really familiar with coco but the only thing I'd give them (seedlings) is some trichoderma & mychorrizae mayhaps, like Great White or something like that but cheaper to boost the rhizospheric beneficials and produce some solid roots...

:48:

I have learned quite a bit about coco medium but I am not sure what you mean by "11L air pots" and "2.5Lper hr of air". It sounds like you are planning on running a hydro setup with a top feed into 11L coco dilled pots. Is that correct? then the air you are talking about is going into the resevoir of water?

If you are using Canna nutes, unless they are organic nutes and you are intending to run organic, I wouldn't recommend using the beneficial microbes that GreenEyes is talking about. These is nothing wrong with using those if you are in standard soil and/or you are running all organic. But if you are using hydro/soilless/chemical nutes, you will kill off the beneficial microbes before they can do any good. In that case just run the chem nutes roughly according to the schedule that they provide.

To expand further on the nutes per yer request; You should not feed the seedlings anything for a couple weeks. The reason is that they are very sensitive to chemicals at the seedling stage before the roots have fully developed. The little round leaves that first emerge are the "feeder" leaves called cotyledons. Those actually serve the purpose of feeding the seedling until it has developed roots to feed itself.....Once you see new leaves emerging and the plant is starting to take off growing, you will see the cotyledons start to "yellow-off". This means the plant has used them up and is dumping them. That is when you start feeding (usually in the 2nd or 3rd week). If you look at the feeding schedule that is supplied by Canna, either on the bottles or in some literature, it will tell you how much of each nutrient to use and different stages or each week. I cut that number that the nutes have down to about 1/4 or 1/3 of the recommended dosage, then increase it some each week until I think the plants are getting what they need or until I see the leaf tips start to burn a bit. The reason for this is that MJ is very nute sensetive and each strain has a different appetite. It is always better to under feed them starting out than to over feed them as it causes fewer problems. It will take you a couple grows to really learn the plant and what it needs, so don't be suprised if you have problems with this grow (everyone has learning pains starting out) But we are glad to help you get through the learning curve.

Tell us a bit more about your set up per my questions so that we can give you some more tips :)

7greeneyes said:
usually t5's are what most ppl use (i use an old Boeing surplus office light for clones/seedlings and newly rooted cuttings...lol.) to veg under, then switch to my 400 watt hps/mh, I veg for 24/7 till round 4 weeks or they show gender. When I flip them to (12/12) bloom they go under my 1kwhps.

You said yourself you're using canna nutes, so what's your questions regarding nutes? I'm a not the sharpest in the a.m. but I'm a bit cornfuzed... :confused2: I myself use only the nutrients available in the FFOF soil and pot up after four weeks when all the goodies have been consumed, utilizing BigBloom in veg and bloom and then molasses after second week of flower along with BigBloom...So I pretty much only use one nute throughout...

I'm not really familiar with coco but the only thing I'd give them (seedlings) is some trichoderma & mychorrizae mayhaps, like Great White or something like that but cheaper to boost the rhizospheric beneficials and produce some solid roots...

:48:

im just wondering wat nutes i need to give them for there first feed..

Hushpuppy said:
I have learned quite a bit about coco medium but I am not sure what you mean by "11L air pots" and "2.5Lper hr of air". It sounds like you are planning on running a hydro setup with a top feed into 11L coco dilled pots. Is that correct? then the air you are talking about is going into the resevoir of water?

If you are using Canna nutes, unless they are organic nutes and you are intending to run organic, I wouldn't recommend using the beneficial microbes that GreenEyes is talking about. These is nothing wrong with using those if you are in standard soil and/or you are running all organic. But if you are using hydro/soilless/chemical nutes, you will kill off the beneficial microbes before they can do any good. In that case just run the chem nutes roughly according to the schedule that they provide.

To expand further on the nutes per yer request; You should not feed the seedlings anything for a couple weeks. The reason is that they are very sensitive to chemicals at the seedling stage before the roots have fully developed. The little round leaves that first emerge are the "feeder" leaves called cotyledons. Those actually serve the purpose of feeding the seedling until it has developed roots to feed itself.....Once you see new leaves emerging and the plant is starting to take off growing, you will see the cotyledons start to "yellow-off". This means the plant has used them up and is dumping them. That is when you start feeding (usually in the 2nd or 3rd week). If you look at the feeding schedule that is supplied by Canna, either on the bottles or in some literature, it will tell you how much of each nutrient to use and different stages or each week. I cut that number that the nutes have down to about 1/4 or 1/3 of the recommended dosage, then increase it some each week until I think the plants are getting what they need or until I see the leaf tips start to burn a bit. The reason for this is that MJ is very nute sensetive and each strain has a different appetite. It is always better to under feed them starting out than to over feed them as it causes fewer problems. It will take you a couple grows to really learn the plant and what it needs, so don't be suprised if you have problems with this grow (everyone has learning pains starting out) But we are glad to help you get through the learning curve.

Tell us a bit more about your set up per my questions so that we can give you some more tips :)

no bud its not a hydro setup.. wat i mean by pots and air is im using air pots with air cages im pupmping air into clay balls to oxygenate the roots..(air cages into the bottom of the pots) and the 11L is the size the plant pots(air pots).. i do have a canna schedule but it says nothin about taking them from seed.. it just starts at veg week1 so i was unsure about wat to give them from the word go.. ill take some pics of my setup laters so u can see my room... im using all the canna nutes.. coco a +b cannzyme rhizatonic pk13 14 canna boost and biogrow(even though not cana) and bio bloom wen needed..

Interesting, I look forward to seeing this as I don't believe I have seen this type of setup before. :)

I believe it's considered vegging once the cotyledons drop or yellow out...First true leaf set so to speak...

my grow room..

SAM_1308.JPG

SAM_1309.JPG

SAM_1310.JPG

SAM_1311.JPG

SAM_1312.JPG

I don't really understand your set up and the purpose of the air pump and hydrotron. I have never seen "air pots" that look like those. Can you explain it more to us?

Im curious for more info as well....looks loike a flood drain...can we get some pics of this "air cage" you have in the pots?...as for nutes..I dont start adding veg nutes till like 3-4 weeks from sprout...then start lite Nitro...

take care and be safe

adyyy said:
no bud its not a hydro setup.. wat i mean by pots and air is im using air pots with air cages im pupmping air into clay balls to oxygenate the roots..

Your setup looks like hydro... but its not going to work "pumping air into clay balls to oxygenate the roots"

Air is given to the roots when the nutes are drained away and given some time to dry out.
At least in hydroton never did coco.... never mixed it.

Is this feed from the top by hand?..... still hydro, just a hassle.

Yeah I agree with GD, pumping air into the medium doesn't seem very effective. I think you would be better served to aerate the water so that the oxygen is in that. My partner in the "Grow-lab" runs hydro in coco and has his water running 24/7, and the soil stays waterlogged. His roots hang into shallow rez under each plant and he never has issue with them being over-watered. I assume this is because we have a serious air pump working in the main rez and in all the shallow rez totes. The water stays oxygenated and the plants grow nicely. :)

I too am confused as to what a bubbler is going to do besides cause dry spots in soil wherever these clay balls are?

I agree with Hushpuppy here, aerate the reservoir, oxygenating the water rather than the roots.

I'm still interested to see how this goes though. Green Mojo!

Latest posts

Back