My flower room is fubar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookyashell

Reaction score
My plants are doing fine during veg, they are green, healthy and fat. But when I put them in the flower room they get "sick"

They dry out and start to turn yellow and wither away. It's my first time so maybe its normal for them to "die off" at the end of flowering?

I think the heat in the flower box is simply too much. My 400W HPS is hot as hell. I have drilled holes to install small fans in the door (fans not installed in door yet). My flowerroom is a small room under the stairs to the first floor, so I kinda have limited venting options.

Soil PH was originaly 5.8, my tapwater is about 8 ph, so I need to buy some ph -

Overview of the closet, the 2 "tall" ones were put into flowering july 25th. The other 3 were put into flowering about 2 weeks ago.

avr0hk.jpg

One of the 8 weeks into flowering plants

2j5f51g.jpg

The other

2z6i3w3.jpg

Here is one of the new arrivals, it was green and fine for the first week in flower room, now its starting to burn out too (this pic is a few days old, while it was still fine) But its starting to yellow and dry out now after almost 2 weeks in the flowerroom.

2qbaixh.jpg

So what am I doing wrong during flowering?

BTW: I set them into flowering early (small) to make sure batch 2 is ready for x-mas, the ones about 12 days into flowering. They are clones of the first problem child in the pics.

I lollypopped one of them to see if it got better when not wasting energy on the lower leaves. The small leaves close to the stem are fine, but the wider ones dry out badly.

I feed them substral 6-1.3-5 during veg and Vitalink bloom 2-2-4 during flowering.

Any tips. I'd be happy to answer anything you need to help me, I can also take the pics you need to help me out.

Thanks

How hot is it?

And, you probably have to get your pH in line.

How hot is it?

And, you probably have to get your pH in line.

85-95 F / 29-34C

Can I buy and use stuff made for aquariums to lower water PH until I get some made for flowers?

But I don't think thats the main problem since they are fine in veg closet and they get the same water there.

85-95 F / 29-34C

Can I buy and use stuff made for aquariums to lower water PH until I get some made for flowers?

But I don't think thats the main problem since they are fine in veg closet and they get the same water there.

85-95 is definitely a problem. They need cooler fresh air. Have you watered too much to make up for the heat? It would be nice to see a pic NOT under HPS so we could see the foliage better.

You need to get air movement and bring down the temp. 85 is about max that I will allow and 80 - 82 is even better.

I don't know about the aquarium stuff. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

My guess would be your space is too hot with not enough ventilation and more importantly, your PH is most likely off as well. Put them things together and this can happen. I don't ever check the PH of my soil. I do however always regulate the PH of anything going into my pots once I start feeding. Do you have a good ph meter? Not one of those cheap Soil Probes. I PH everything to 6.5. Water and feed.

85-95 is definitely a problem. They need cooler fresh air. Have you watered too much to make up for the heat? It would be nice to see a pic NOT under HPS so we could see the foliage better.

Think I was watering way too little before. The buckets are 10 liter (about 3 gallon) and I gave them 0.2- 0.3 liters of water each day. I gave them little coz I read so much about rootrot when overwatering.

Now I give them over half a liter every other day. Soil is dry about 3" down when I water now.

I will take them out and take pics in normal light tomorrow, its dark in the flowerroom now, don't want to dissrupt their "slumber".

Should I cut the driest leaves?
Should I keep the door open, the temp will fall but more light will escape.

If you've got a local Farm&Fleet or Tractor Supply, go in and ask for a gallon of Milkstone Remover. Dairy farmers use it for cleaning their equipment. It's phosphoric acid, same stuff in soda pop.
If you go at it easy when you drop the PH and don't overshoot it, you won't need the PH up. If you want some anyways, grab a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Works like a charm.
The Milkstone Remover looks just like the stuff General Hydro sells, it's cheaper, and it's a bit more potent. I'd just about guarantee the stuff they sell comes down the same line as the dairy stuff.

Chances are you're baking 'em with the heat like the rest of the kind folks said. If the temps were normal, I'd say you're lacking a little nitrogen. I've had the leaves turn brown just before harvest and it didn't hurt the final product a bit. Supposedly, nitrogen makes the buds smaller but they'll stay green all the way to the cut. I don't know this for a fact, but by next spring I'll be able to speak from experience (I'm gonna try it!).

Last edited:
i would not be worrying about getting yellowing leaves on this particular run if they are already in week 8 of flower---what color are the trichomes?

those temps are not ideal either---but ain't killing your plants

imo the ph is not ideal---but not that big a deal if u in soil either

i stand by all others on the air circulation issue---u can never have too much fresh air for ur plants

Just another general tip. Pot doesn't usually like to be watered a little every day. It would rather have a lot and then, none. It likes a wet/dry cycle.

Depending on the pot, I usually water until it comes out of the bottom. And then no water for 1 or 2 days.

I tried to flower in very small "closet" type of grows when I first built my very first personal grow. I had built 2 cabinets that were 40"x30"x7' and I had an absolute fit trying to control the temps, humidity, and get decent air flow. I discovered that when growing in small spaces the key is ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. You just about need a wind tunnel in the small spaces. This summer I have grown 2 plants in a space that is almost identical. My temps rarely got under 80f even at night. Most off the time it stayed in the upper 80s to even low 90s. The humidity stayed above 70% throughout the whole grow and didn't get below 70% until the last few days. This is not at all good conditions to grow in, however, I still had a very nice harvest of solid quality buds. I credit my ventilation for this success.

I have an enclosed 400w HPS with a 24" carbon filter attached to it by way of flex hose. And it connects from the light to my 540cfm centrifugal fan. I have had that running 24/7all summer to pull air out of the flower space while passive openings are substantial enough to allow equal amounts of fresh air to be pulled in from beneath my building where it is cooler (but unfortunately more moist as we have had a wet summer). I believe by keeping the air moving through the space, and by having a good fan to continuously blow on the plants, I was able to keep the plants mostly happy, but even then I had some heat stress on the upper parts of my plants when they got larger.

Now about your pH; If your source water is at 8.0 then it is very likely that it has very little mineral in the water naturally. Distilled water is very high pH because pH stands for "potential Hydrogen", and in straight water (H2O) there is twice as much hydrogen as oxygen. However, because the hydrogen atom is small, adding other elements that are acidic, will quickly bring the pH back down. You have to test it individually with each grow location but if you are growing in soil or in a medium that has low pH, it will often offset the high pH in the water, either by counteracting the pH or by adding elements (present in the soil) back into the water to lower(nerf) its pH as it enters the soil/medium.

What you will need to do for the pH is take your growing medium without any plants or additional additives, and run enough water through it to create enough runoff to collect ffor testing the pH. This will tell you iff the soil/medium that you are using is going to "nerf" the pH of the water to acceptable levels without any additives. You may not need to use anything to lower the pH. If your soil pH was at 5.8 then it was already too low. Soil pH should be around 6.5 while 5.8 is right for hydroponics, and 6.0 is good for most soilless(depending on some other variables).

So your first order of business is to see about getting a wind tunnel going within and through that flower space. If you can't get proper air fflow in there then your grows will continue to struggle at best.

Second order of business is to check the pH through your soil to see what is actually happening. Iff the pH isn't changing much going through your soil then you need to take a sample to have it tested to see what is in it. I will be willing to bet that the water will "nerf" to the pH of the soil, and that you will actually have to buffer your soil so that the pH isn't too low. :)

I personally think that heat is your big problem and I would deal with that immediately. If you do not have a proper exhaust fan, you are not going to be able to control the heat. There are some things we can get around and some we cannot. Proper ventilation is one of those critical things--it is almost as important to your plant development as the light you use.. Not only is cool fresh air needed to help keep your space cool, but your plants require a continual source of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. This takes a proper exhaust fan--some kind of centrifuge fan like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLFANXINLINE4-Ducting-Hydroponics-Applications/dp/B0085GTELM/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1411224469&sr=8-21&keywords=4%22+fan[/ame].

You can also get proper pH up and down on Amazon. I like the GH products and prefer the liquid pH adjusters. If you use lime in your soil mixture, it will help incredibly with the pH problems. You may find that you don't even have to pH your nutes solution. I think that I would be looking for nutes formulated for cannabis, too. A nutrient that is 2-2-4 is not the best N-P-K ratios for flowering plants. You need something a little higher in P. For instance GH Flora Nova Bloom is 2-8-7. You need something with the N-P-K ratios closer to that--more P, more K without adding more N.

But IMO, the heat and lack of proper ventilation is your biggest problem. You absolutely need to find some way to get some kind of decent exhaust fan in your space.

i would not be worrying about getting yellowing leaves on this particular run if they are already in week 8 of flower---what color are the trichomes?

those temps are not ideal either---but ain't killing your plants

imo the ph is not ideal---but not that big a deal if u in soil either

i stand by all others on the air circulation issue---u can never have too much fresh air for ur plants

I would say cloudy, not happy with the portable mini microscope I got, 90% looks cloudy, and a few looks clear.
I need to find that picture ppl use to post here for comparison.

They get the same PH water during vegging and and fine then, but yeah I will do something about the PH.

Here is a picture of it outside the flowerroom so you can see the colors better. Its not in good shape at all.

2nksz1g.jpg

90% milky? Sounds like hackin' time. If you like that heavy, couch lock type buzz, let 'em go until they're showing amber.
I prefer the up type buzz. Wouldn't hurt to snatch a small bud, do a quick dry, and take a sample toke. If you like what you're smoking, it's time to go to work.

90% milky? Sounds like hackin' time. If you like that heavy, couch lock type buzz, let 'em go until they're showing amber.
I prefer the up type buzz. Wouldn't hurt to snatch a small bud, do a quick dry, and take a sample toke. If you like what you're smoking, it's time to go to work.

I was hoping to get them amber. I like the body high, not the light flying high.

Taking a test bud of it now. But I'm taking the lowest branch, arnt they crap anyway, is that a good way to sample?
I don't like that mst of the hairs on that plant is still white, arnt they supposed to be red/brown like the other one when they are ready?
Atleast I get very sticky fingers when I touch the buds.

looks like she may have taken a bit of abuse---nothing u can't fix---take her down if she's ready---the big picture tells me the plant got burnt because it was in the line of fire from a hot spot in the light---even with temperatures as high as they are in this space---if this plat was moving in the wind from a fan---you would unlikely have those burnt leaves---so to pound the main issue home just 1 more time---get lots of fresh air moving thru that space---the cooler the better to help with temps---those plants should be swaying in the wind from an oscillating fan

keep in mind every space is different and most advice you get will be based on optimal conditions to achieve optimal results---these conditions are not always possible for everyone's set up---so all we can do is make the best of what we got

u got spot on advice from thg and hp---follow it and u be a happy grower

Latest posts

Back