My grow pot size difference test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherrwood

Reaction score
So I mentioned in another thread that I was currently using different size grow bags/pots in my flower tent as a test for production vs. room and plants needed.
I wanted to know if growing 12 or so 3 gallon bags is better than 5 or 6 10 gallon and even 2 20 gallon fabric bags.

In my 5x5 tent I had several 3 gallon, several 10 gallon and 2. 20 gallon fabric bags. The 3 gallon were plastic bags.

They were all Critical Kush clones and all the same size starting out.
I harvested them all recently, I was to post a thread on them but got busy with life as we all do, better late then never.
So what I found was that the 3 gallon required more frequent watering then the larger containers.
I also found the 2 20 gallon were not fully root bound after harvest, not like the 3 and 10 gallon.
However the 2 20 gallon did produce the most per plant at near 8 ozs each.
The 10 gallons produced 6-7 ozs each and the 3 gallons at about 4-5 each.

I fiqure the 10 gallon did the best considering everything.
The 3 gallons could not stand on their own and kept falling over.

I welcome others opinions and comments.
They were flowered under 2 1000 watt lights.

I guess I can kinda speak on this since I don't ever Flower in anything bigger than a One Gallon Pot. On more than a few occasions I have even Flowered in 1/2 gallon pots and have even done 8 plants all in 20 ounce cups once. I can pull 3 ounces a plant from 1 gallon Smart Pots all day every day so long as it is not a low yielding strain like Pre 98 Bubba, Instant Cookies and Las Vegas Purple Kush. I have even gotten 4 ounces dry off my Larry OG cut in a One Gallon Smart Pot. I usually start out in Solo cups, then go to 1/2 gallon plastic pots and then to One gallon Smart pots for Flower. Besides the frequent watering (everyday in Flower) I don't usually run into any problems. jmo

What are you using for nutes and lights?
Been using General Hydroponics 3 part since I first started out. I use HO T5's for Veg and used to use HPS for Flower. Now I am all LED in Flower.

However the 2 20 gallon did produce the most per plant at near 8 ozs each.
The 10 gallons produced 6-7 ozs each and the 3 gallons at about 4-5 each.

I fiqure the 10 gallon did the best considering everything.
The 3 gallons could not stand on their own and kept falling over.

I welcome others opinions and comments.
They were flowered under 2 1000 watt lights.
very bare quick thought, but going by your findings here *and i obviously think it needs more study, but that's another fun part of this hobby; the tinkering :) **granted sometimes that's not always good ;) :D

taking into account for plant size and space (not to mention extra veg time) i think the 3's actually seem the best bet;
3 gal = 4-5 oz
10 gal = 6-7 oz
20 = 8 oz

the space the 10's took, didn't equal the extra they produced over the 3's, it seems to me.

just a real quick glance/thought though ;)

I guess I left out the fact I want to remain legal if possible, in my State I can have 6 flowering, so my thoughts were how big could those 6 get and in what size containers.
I would prefer not to have 12 plants if 6 could produce the same amount.

Ten gallon pots take up a lot of floor space. I am with Kaotik thinking you should stick with the 3 gallon, or do i like i did for years, 5 gallon smart pots.

I guess I left out the fact I want to remain legal if possible, in my State I can have 6 flowering, so my thoughts were how big could those 6 get and in what size containers.
I would prefer not to have 12 plants if 6 could produce the same amount.
ahha, gotcha
yeah that throws a wrench eh?
guess the best way to go is as big as your space can fit then.

i'd likely do the big pots then -10's or 20's, i'm not sure. seemed 10 actually fared better by your results- if we're going just six bigger plants. (i was thinking 3's for getting a few more plants in there, but not if you're limited by a count.)
will six 20 gals even fit in there

do you have a veg area though? as that is one downside i see going with bigger plants; is the extra veg time for them. if you're doing veg and bloom in 1 area.. with that extra time, well it might not equal a better haul over the course of a full year. (in thinking you might get an extra crop per season in smaller ones)

not much help i know, just throwing out a few things to consider that i think might help you make the best decision.
:)

I do have a 4x4 veg tent and a 5x5 flower tent.
I think the 10 gallon would be best considering space and final harvest weight.
I have come to the conclusion the 20 gallons are too big for indoors.
I'll most likely do mostly 10 gallon from here on out.

Latest posts

Back