My Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APassion4Life

Reaction score
I haven't started my grow yet but I'm closing in on it. The setup I have planned is sort of an outdoor indoor mix. Basically I'm going to make a room outdoors burried in the ground for hiding. The room will be made of wood so there won't be any dirt showing. The plants will be setup in the room in pots under grow lights. For ventilation there will be openings at the top of the room so air can get in. The room will be big enough for me to climb down into it through a door parallel with the ground like a small celler door. My watering system and lighting system will both be on timers so i can control how much water and light my plants get. I'm having a little trouble with how I will power the lights and timers with electricity but it's all a work in progress (any suggestions will be greatly appreciated). The Germination and Seedling process will be taken care of inside my house and the plants will be transplanted when they are ready for the vegitative period.

I'm just looking for suggestions or feedback on how well my setup will work. Everything is changeable but I need to keep it all discrete and outdoors. I really appriciate any help or comments.

Sounds like a fun plan, how many plants are you intending to squeeze in there?
I don't know your reasons for placing the grow area outside/underground, but you'd look mad fishy going in/out of something like that in my area. I'd build a cool looking shed on top of the opening where you'd climb in. That way, you could also hang an electric line to the shed for your lights/pumps/fans. Maybe install a hose, so you don't have to haul water down the hole. Will you be using this during the winter as well?

What type of watering system are thinking of? Is this a hydro grow? Some are better suited for longer periods of absence, but generally a larger reservoir means you don't have to change it as often, so plan room for that.

You might get a bug infestation issue, with the way your air vents are set up. Nothing some panty-hose or filters couldn't fix.

I hope you know what you're doing with the structure of this. Depending on how big this is, a cave-in could be a risk.

The more I think about it, this would be a pretty big job (got buddies to dig your hole?). Have you considered using your attic, or maybe even wall off a part of a room and disguise the entrance to the grow room.

I'm not thinking an enormous amount of plants maybe 4 or 5. Like you said a cave in could be a problem with too big an underground area. The place I have set up for it is in a rural area so peeping neighbors aren't really a problem I just don't want people seeing a big shed and going to investigate. With something underground I can assure no one will see it in my absense. My watering system is fairly rustic due to the rural nature of the land. I was thinking of a large container with a hose hanging down for pressure attached to a timed sprinkler system. This way I would only have to refill the container once every week maybe even less. THe more self-sufficient I can make it the better because drawing any attention to the area could cause a problem (even though it is vitually uninhabited). Better safe than sorry. I like the filter idea for the vent, i hadn't thought of insect infestation. Thanks for the ideas and any thoughts on how I can make this more self-sufficient would be awesome. Its not like I won't ever care for my plants but the less trips out to the area the better for me.

and for the digging of teh hole I have access to a Bobcat to dig it out. Not much actual digging will be needed by hand, though I do have some buddies who are more than willing to help.

A timed sprinkler system, like ones you'd usually use for areas of lawn? That sounds tricky to set up right.. It wouldn't be too expensive to make an auto watering system if you're willing to get a water pump. I'll try to find you a link for a guide with pictures.. but basically:
you put your plant pots in a big tray, which has a drainage hole, which goes into a reservoir
then, you set your water pump to pump for Xminutes a day, Xtimes a day

This would need a good draining medium. But you'd only have to come refill the reservoir every now and then (assuming they don't need special attention).

Depending on your land, you might also be at risk of flooding. Probably not from the water level of the ground, but from rain seeping in.

Have you considered disguising your grow with other plants? A couple rows of bushes would cover 4-5 plants easily. Or a fence with some thick vines. If your area isn't frequently wandered, I'd probably just grow it near some natural vegetation. I don't think the plants really stand out that much around other green.

As far as getting the electricity there, you could probably just bury extension cords all the way. Put it through some plastic piping if you feel it needs protecting.

I like the water pump idea and it would be great if you could get me a link of how it looks. You are right with the electricity probably needing an extention cord, I'm just trying to avoid having a line leading straight out to my plants. About the flooding I think I will simply put up gutter type things under the vents running off into buckets or something that could be emptied when I check up on my plants. I really appriciate all your thoughts, its nice to get a little feedback on whats going through my head. The only thing I was worried about with growing entirly outdoors is 1. animals/pests 2. control of light (with bulbs you have total control) 3. its open to the elements and it seems to me that the plant could get damaged more easily in the open air.

I was just trying to get the best of indoor growing combined with the best of outdoor growing.

I couldn't find the original guide I was thinking of, but in Offspring_36's thread, there's a nice diagram, and a parts list: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76260#post76260

I've never grown outdoors myself, so I don't know how at risk the plants are when outside. What I think you should keep in mind though, is that these plants have grown outside long before we've known about them. The bud quality might be reduced, but a hardy strain probably wouldn't have too many problems. If you look around for pictures of outdoor crops, you'll see that they grow much differently. The main stems can get a couple inches thick, and they can grow over 6 feet. Now you got me thinking of places I could grow outside! -.-
Oh, and apparently you can overload extension cords, so check that the ones you use can handle your lights + pump + timers etc.
Always glad to brainstorm.

Latest posts

Back