My grows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic777

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This was my first grow, made a load of mistakes but learnt a lot. I had roughly 19 plants, out of which I had a rough 50%/50% male female ratio. I lost my pics of my harvest, so no mature pics.

Mainly some swazi sativa's from bag weed, then Anesthesia from sannies shop.

My primary grow closet. It was roughly 1.2 m * 1.2 m wide and about 1.7 m tall. Wooden frame covered with thick plastic, white inside, black outside. I ordered the plastic from a nursery wholesaler. Had two intake vents on the left, with two large AC fans top right for cooling.
Lighting:
The big spiral bulbs = 85W
Smaller bulbs = 45W
600W in total.
24/0 from the start.
Nutes: Seagro, Seagro foliar spray and Nitrosol.
I went a bit crazy and dedicated a room to my grow up - this was built inside that room. The room was sound and light proof - also helped with the smell I guess.

My first attempt at a grow area - Rubbermaid tub:
Rubbermaid.jpg

The actual grow closet I built later (and sadly had to take down again):
oldGrowCloset.jpg

Sativa happiness, one of my biggest girls:
SativaHappiness.jpg

Same girl later on:
largeGirl.jpg

Plants in the grow closet:
largePlants.jpg

New grow - in a small room, vegetative area and separate flowering area.

Lights - Veg: CFL, 5 X 85W, 425W in total
Lights - Flower: 1 400W HPS, home made bird wing reflector
Plants: 4 Sativas, 1 Anesthesia, 1 LowRyder, 1 Anesthesia B, 1 El Monstre
Nutes: Wondersol + Diamond nectar for veg, Bat guano and GHE bloom booster for flowering
Light cycle: 18/6 (I had stress issues under 24/0, could have been heat as well)

All grown from seed. Hoping to get one decent Sativa mother and 2 Indica dominant mothers, cloning from there on.

Most of them are 2 months old. Preflowers starting to show.

birdwing.jpg

Anesthesia:
Anna.jpg

Anesthesia B:
AnnaB.jpg

Plants in veg area:
plantsTop.jpg
plants.jpg

Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft--the wattage of the bulbs is immaterial.....so how many lumens do you have?

Lumens for the big 85W twists are 5100 LM.

If I have to judge by the plants in veg they are happy with what's provided.

The first grow was flowered using the same lights and I could see that I needed more light, which is why I decided to go with a 400W HPS for flowering this time. The flowering space is roughly 90 cm X 90 cm.

Veg, probably about 1m X 3m

Why is your veg space so much larger than your flowering space?

A 400W should work just fine in a 90 cm x 90 cm space. In addition, the 400 will give you a whole lot more lumens for a lot less electrical consumption. You should be getting about 33% more lumens (50,000 compared to 36,000) for about 33% less electricity consumption (400W compared to 600W. Do you have any type of exhaust? Ventilation is for more than temperature control. Your plants need a continual supply of FRESH air all the time the lights are on.

Looks like you are handy at making things brosef....very nice. Like THG said you need to figure out your lighting needs. 3000 lumens a sqr foot for veg and 5000 lumens a sqr foot for flower....I use those as minimums.

Hats off for growing Sats....I don't hve the patience even with a 4x4x6.5 flower tent.

Some pure sativas can take 14-16 weeks or more to flower.

I re-measured, must have been tiredness, hehe. Veg is more like 90 cm X 1.5 m - it's just the area I couldn't completely light-proof so I decided veg is safer than flowering there.

I run a big 300m3 / hour inline duct fan for exhaust, a smaller 90 cfm for intake, and I have circulation fans. Air is replaced every 4 minutes or so.

As for making things myself, yeah I have to most of the time. Being in the ******* end of the world means I have to import most of my gear and the charges for a big items are just prohibitive

thanks for all the advice and tips.

@THG
You recommend then rather a 400W MH bulb for veg?

I use T5 fluoros for vegging and HPS for flowering. I have a space a little under 2 x 4 for vegging and use a 4' 4 bulb T5 in there--216W emitting 20,000 lumens. The flowering room is 3 x 6.5 and I have 2 600W HPS in there.

A fan pulling 300 cubic meters per hours is only pulling about 175 cubic feet per minute and is not really a very large fan. Is it an inline duct booster fan or a centrifuge type fan? I am using a 448 cfm vortex and a 150 cfm bathroom type exhaust fan in my flowering space which is a little under 150 cu ft. I would be for replacing the air in your space more than once very 4 minutes.

I live in the mountains and order almost all my growing stuff online. I make what I can myself.

@THG

Thanks for the info.

Not sure what the difference is between the fan types - looks like this:

6925161fa961ce37e1c8e1f11fd0ebb5_24.jpg

I saw some of your grow logs, damn, you do great DIY work - esp the mini scrog setup

That appears to be a centrifuge type fan and should do you just fine.

Thanks. I like it when I can DIY my own stuff. I was the oldest of 4 girls. My dad taught me to use tools, fish, handle a weapon, shoot hoops, etc.--pretty much all the things he would have taught a son. I was the "token female" in the hardware dept at Sears in the early 70s. I have worked in the trades for many years.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Some pure sativas can take 14-16 weeks or more to flower.

Sorry for the offtopic ... But someone told me the flowering time of Original Haze ... 5 months :eek: . Anyone ever tried this ?

I dont know about that but I think some phenos of strawberry cough can go 14 or 15 weeks which is close to five months

Latest posts

Back