my new grow tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
I got a new grow tent from ebay last night for only $83!! My only question is does this thing have enough support to hold up my hps lamp that has the ballast housed in it. My light is pretty heavy and Im not sure if Ill have to buy another lamp that has the ballast not built in. Anybody have experience with this tent?

I saw a thread on here the other day where someone was going to pay around $200 for about the same dimension tent, I think I got a pretty good deal. Cant wait to put it to use.

The dimensions are 4' x 4' x 6.5'

grow tent.jpg

HI,

It looks like a nice tent... Maybe you can email the manufacturer or the eBay seller and ask what kind of load the frame is rated for in pounds... You may be able to reinforce the frame somehow too. But even if your frame will support it I think you may need to get a separate ballast. I don't know if you've ever grown in a tight space like a 4 x 4 tent but heat is definitely an issue with HID lighting. An air cooled reflector with a separate ballast that you can run outside of the tent will help you keep temps down inside the tent. If you get an air cooled hood or a cool tube fixture and a strong inline can style fan to pull the heat off the lights and grow tent and exhaust it outside, you'll be able to control temps much better.

Happy Growing!:cool:

yeah, heat is always an issue with me. I have a Sunsystem 2 lamp which was really expsensive and I think is really good quality so Id like to stick with it but I know I might need to buy a new one. I have the sheet of glass that encloses my lamp so that keeps the heat down a little. I plan on venting the hot air out the hole in the top of the tent and bring fresh air in through a hole in the bottom of the tent. I might have to invest in some powerful fans. I also have a few tiny fans that I can hang and keep them blowing right on the top of the canopy. I usually get my light as close as six inches to the top of the canopy with no burning but well see if I can get that close in a tent.

I wanted to email the guy and ask about how much weight the tent will hold but I couldnt find an option to email him. Im also very impatient so I bought it anyways. Ill find a way to make it work, believe me.

eBay always has an option to email the seller... Go back and look around on the transaction page in your account and you'll see it. How many watts is your HPS ballast? Closing in the bulb only protects the bulb from getting moisture on it and does nothing for heat reduction. It may even build up all the more in a closed hood and then the metal surfaces of the hood heat up and act like a radiator spreading heat all around your tent. The only thing that works IME is pulling the heat directly off the bulb and fixture so it never gets a chance to build up. I grow in a 2 x 4 x 8 closet with a 1K HPS in a cool tube and a 6 bulb T5 fixture for a sidefill and manage to keep my temps around 75º with a very strong 630cfm Eclipse inline fan and lots of strong air movement in the closet from fans. I'm sure you have a very nice light and it would work great if you had a nice large open grow room with a/c but that's not the case. You may be able to use a 400-600 cfm can style fan to pull hot air out of the tent but it will still be hard to keep temps below 80º in there. What are the temps like in the room you're going to put the tent in?

The tent is going to be inside a huge shed. The temps are high right now so I will veg with my floro light and in about four weeks when the temps start to drop I will hook up the 400 hps.

Ah...... You GOTTA love fall and winter if you grow marijuana indoors. :p I used to hate cold weather before I started growing indoors and now I look forward to Nov-Feb and the BEST months by far in my garden... lol... That sounds like a great plan. Around here about the 2nd week in Sept the sweltering heat and humidity finally lets go and we start getting those glorious 'Alberta Clipper' cold fronts that come from the upper midwest and push all the high humidity down to the Gulf of Mexico for the rest of fall until late next May...

Happy Growing!:cool:

September and October are my two favorite months of the year. Im curious to see how cold it gets in my tent when February comes. The cold temps always bring out the best colors in the buds.

i got a home box 1mx1mx2m tent and run my lights at night to keep temps lower.i veg from 15.00-0900 and flower from 2100-0900.i live in uk so dont suffer from extreme temps however we sometime get hot spells were the outside temp reaches 28-30c thus making temps in the tent wen the light is on too high.i find that my babies dont mind the temp rising a little over 30c if its only for a short time.make sure you create a negative pressure when installing in-out line fans(pulling out more than putting in) and i very much doubt you will get your light as close as previous grows.i love to grow in a tent as all the light emitted is absorbed by the plant and smell is kept under control.enjoy your purchase and keep us hooked up with the grow. ps i like to keep my ballast outside the tent as it is not attached to my light. i dont use a carbon filteer as i find my 125 outline fan pulls air better without it.your ytent is built to hold a light dont worry

I just puurchased 2 tents. 1 is 2'7 x 2'7 x 5'3( for veg); abd a 4'11 x 4'11 x 6'7 (for flower). in the veg i plan on runnin t5s,but in the flower i wanted to run a 1000w hps, the tent is by secret jardin.if i air cooled the hood, would i need another 2 fans still? one for in and out + the hood cooling fan? also when u air cool a hood in a tent, i've seen pics of the light w/ duct going from one end of the tent to the other, is one side of the duct just pulling clean(no smell) air through the hood and out the other,or does the air leaving the hood need to filtered w/ a charcaol filter..any help would be great, i am a complete newb w/ tents

burnalot420 said:
I just puurchased 2 tents. 1 is 2'7 x 2'7 x 5'3( for veg); abd a 4'11 x 4'11 x 6'7 (for flower). in the veg i plan on runnin t5s,but in the flower i wanted to run a 1000w hps, the tent is by secret jardin.if i air cooled the hood, would i need another 2 fans still? one for in and out + the hood cooling fan? also when u air cool a hood in a tent, i've seen pics of the light w/ duct going from one end of the tent to the other, is one side of the duct just pulling clean(no smell) air through the hood and out the other,or does the air leaving the hood need to filtered w/ a charcaol filter..any help would be great, i am a complete newb w/ tents

Nope. If you pull outside air thru your cooled lights you dont need a filter. Just make sure you have a good seal on the glass lenses. Mine are not 100 percent airtight, but that is what duct tape is for. I run a 600 and 400 aircooled in a 4x4 tent for flowering. Temps stay around 80. I pull all the air through a carbon scrubber then the lights and out of the tent. I have no smell issues with this closed and the 424cfm inline fan creates plenty of negative pressure to suck in the walls event with all the lights and filter. I use a passive intake as well by the way.

hey marine, thanx for all ur help.can i have the duct connected to say the hole on the left(pullin air from outside)through the light, then duct going to the right hole (where a inline will be pullin) if i aircooled it like that, i wouldn't need a charcoal right?, and would that even work?i just thought , if i did it like that, then i would need 3 fans.so i guess i could just leave one side of the light open for exhaust?with the charcoal. also i can't due passive, becasue i will be using a hepa filter to scrub air goin in, if u had any recomendations for fan cfm, as i plan to use a 1000w and would like to keep temps in the 70's

Latest posts

Back