My plant is getting retarded!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at cultivation for the first time. About 5 days ago it began to split for the 7th time, and I noticed that one of the fan leaves wasn't developing properly. It only grew about a cm long and then curled under and died 4 days later. Another one seems to be trying to grow at the same place and it too seems to be "retarded." Today I just noticed that one of the leaves on the upper branch has 6 points instead of 7.

Is this plant just retarded? Is there anything I should do about that retarded growth at the top since it seems to be inhibiting the plant?

Pappy said:
I am trying my hand at cultivation for the first time. About 5 days ago it began to split for the 7th time, and I noticed that one of the fan leaves wasn't developing properly. It only grew about a cm long and then curled under and died 4 days later. Another one seems to be trying to grow at the same place and it too seems to be "retarded." Today I just noticed that one of the leaves on the upper branch has 6 points instead of 7.

Is this plant just retarded? Is there anything I should do about that retarded growth at the top since it seems to be inhibiting the plant?
Whats up Pappy. It could be a number of things. The first thing you need to do is tell us everything about your set up including soil, lights, water, grow cab, venalation, and all those other good things.

Alright. First off, let me say that yes, I guess you would call it bagseed. My "friend's friend" gave him half of a plant that I assume he STOLE (BAD!!) from a local grower, and I salvaged 5 seeds from the 4 grams he gave me. (might I add that the 4 grams he gave me were still on branches, very fresh and wet. The buds looked fully developed so I don't think the seed was premature) Before you all start yelling at me and telling me that I need to buy real seeds, let me just say that I was only testing to see if this setup was even workable. And on that note:
The setup is as follows. I have adjustable shelving in my closet which I painstakingly enclosed from top to bottom with mylar (enclosed the shelving, that is). On the top shelf I have a 4 ft flourescent fixture with 1 standard 40 watt grow light and 1 40 watt "natural daylight" to balance out the spectrum. (The grow light is mostly red and the natural daylight delves more into the blue end) I used aluminum foil around the light fixture to direct all the light into the "grow shaft" I created with the mylar and such. The plants are currently in 2.5 gallon buckets filled with miracle gro potting soil (canadian peat moss, pearlite, etc.) I am not using any additional fertilizer right now as the bag stated it can feed plants "up to 3 months," and the plant was just transplanted a few days ago and is growing at an adequate pace. The plant is currently about... 11 inches tall and is kept between 1 or 2 inches away from the lighting fixture.

I water my plants with nautral stream water I get from my back yard, to which I add about 1.5 ml of peroxide per liter (when the peroxide decomposes it releases oxygen to the roots, so I'm not just doing it for the hell of it). For ventilation I have a small 5" fan mounted in the top left corner of the "shaft" which blows air down and out a gap in the bottom. I left a small hole (about half dollar sized) at the top behind the fan so it could pull in some fresh, and I open the front of the shaft daily because I'm very intimate with my plants (understandably so, since this is my first REAL attempt at growing).

The plant had been growing just fine for 3 weeks or so. It was only after the transplant that this "retardation" occured. Is it possibly a result of shock? I know I read several times that transplanting will stop growth for up to a week, but not with this plant! It had grown about half an inch by the next morning, and continues to grow at a MUCH faster rate than before!

Did you have it in the MG soil before this transplant? Do you have a PH meter?

ok, taske the fan and have it blowing from duwn you up.... hot air rises as does the air in that shaft naturally.

dicth the tinfoil ...it would be better to make a ^ flector out of 16 ga steel painted white, it would be a couple bux and easy to make.

i have a feeling its a bad soil and they need transplant on top of it.

transplant into good soil and get a ph meter if you dont-

bagseed isnt a bad thing....inly sometimes ;)

Alright, thanks! I'll go look for different, higher quality soil.

And no, I don't have a ph meter but I think I will invest in one.

Latest posts

Back