mycorrhizal fungi around peat pot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Check these pics out, plant is 2 weeks old. I used a very small amount of Myco Madness once during those 2 weeks. I think the reason the fungi is visible is because there has been no disruption of the soil around the small peat pot. It was transplanted into a 5 gal roots pot and has only been watered around the outside of the pot.

View attachment hmmm.jpg

View attachment hm.jpg

Just so happens to be on a not so happy seedling.. not sure if you can blame the fungi tho, the seed popped out light green color.

while you have fungi, that does not make it mycorrhizal fungi. You can not tell by the naked eye. Soil can contain 1000's of different fungi, but that does mean they are mycorrhizal fungi.

The reason I was "assuming" it was mycorrhizal, is because I used it when I transplanted about 12 days ago.

Growing in pro-mix hp

It takes longer that that for it to come out of stasis. Mycorrhizal fungi become active in the rhizosphere, in the presence of active roots as a result of chemical neuro transmitters between the root hair and the cell wall of the mycorrhizal fungi. They are symbiotic. While the pro mix has myco in there, they are dormant until triggered.

I always wondered how that dried up mico's worked and you just explained it Umbra, thank you.

No, don't kill it... just let that pot dry before you water again.

I suppose it could be natural decomposition of the peat pot.. The fungi looks like the stuff that eats straw / hay bales.

On the left side you can see it is grey, about an 1/8 inch wide because there is an 1/8 inch gap between the peat pot and the soil due to it shrinking a bit.

Maybe not myco fungi, but how about trichoderma fungi?

Maybe I should bust out the cannon and pics would be 10x better

Hey Next, why did you do your potting that way? putting the small pot in the big pot? That causes more issues than needed. I go dixie cups, one gallon plastic bags, to 5 gallon smart pots. There is a reason we do it that way. I was just wondering why you did yours that way?

Just becuase they are autoflowers, no other reason.

I have seen the benefits of regular transplanting on normal strains, but I have also seen the negatives of transplanting with autoflowers. I think that even starting them in the 4" peat pots isn't ideal. I think dropping the seed directly into their final pot would be best, to avoid root issues.

Ok, good answer. What size pots are those? I grew autos once just to see what they were like.. I had a like 6 of them in the same pot.. I didn't know what I was doing.

They are Root Pouch #5, they claim to be 5gal, but you will never get 5gal in them. I have 4gal of soil in mine.

http://rootpouch.com/ They have any size or color, I think they go up to 600gal

I've done... 3 grows with the same pots, they are good still good as new.

I have the same thing on my peat pots that I have my tomato seedlings in, they are in a very humid area. I just noticed it today so I have a small fan blowing on them now for air circulation. The instructions for the peat pots says to to bury them completly when transplanting, don't know if that would help, maybe to moist an environement.

Latest posts

Back