Nails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hungarian Gypsy

Cosmo Kush is the best!
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of putting a few nails down in the soil of your plant? Not human nails, but nails you hammer into a 2x4, etc.............. I hear it provides some nitrogen. :confused2:

hero4u2b said:
Probobly more like iron..

Iron! That's it! Thanks for clearing that up for me ;) So, I guess it's not a bad idea. What do you think?

What kind of soil are you using? Hve you amended it with anything? I wldnt rely on nails, or iron....I wld checkout the organic section and see what things you cld add that wld actually be beneficial.

Jmo

What it is likely to provide is iron oxide (rust).
If you use a good quality nutrient along with something like molasses, I can't see the point myself. You see, iron oxide is unlikely to be in a form the plant can actually absorb and use but with the addition of molasses, this could cheleat it to give it in a useable form.
If you are intending to do this, may I suggest using iron filings instead. The reason for this is that iron filings have a massively greater surface area than a nail. This means there is a greater area to rust, which gives a greater potential for what you are looking for. Also, iron filings can be worked into the soil more evenly, rather than having a lump of metal whhich would only provide any benefit to a small area.
You can get iron filings by sansing/grinding/sawing a piece of metal such as a nail.

JMO W

Why not just add alfalfa, soybean or bloodmeal? Many things better then a nail or actual iron.

Thats really good advice woody.

Another thing I would want to think about is if this could lead to any other issues that outweigh its benefit if it was to be done. Something just tells me putting a piece of metal building material down into your soil would change conditions in manys ways.

Hamster Lewis said:
Why not just add alfalfa, soybean or bloodmeal? Many things better then a nail or actual iron.

:yeahthat:

MJ doesn't require that much iron that you need to be adding it in mineral form. Most soil has it already, adding molasses will add it, most good nutrients have it.

Okay, thanks you guys! To answer Hammy's question, I'm using MG Moisture Control. I think I'll go with alfalfa. Would it be a big difference if I buy it from the grocery store or do I need to get it from a nursery? Also, how much would I use for a 3 gallon bucket (the white stacker kind) AND, do I toss it in the soil and mix it in with the soil like a salad (no pun intended). Get it? Alfalfa & Salad.......eh.....silly joke..........anyway, thanks again.

Latest posts

Back