Name Your Hydro!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sort of hydroponic system do you consider best?

• Wick

• Ebb and flow/flood and drain

• Passive drip

• Active drip (with a recycling pump)

• NFT (however you define it)

• Reservoir with aerator

• "Sprinkler" aeroponic

• Mist aeroponic

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
I cut my hydroponic teeth on an excellent aeroponic junior-sized unit from foothillhydroponics.com (the same shop whence I get my Oasis foam cubes) that I got for 25 bucks--no kidding--from a guy who had been given it but decided to stick with soil. I got a hole saw, some PVC and several Rubbermaid containers and built bigger aero and drip systems with them. I am thinking of returning to hydro after a few years doing soil. Need to get a new 3.5" hole saw first.

What sort of hydro system do you have running, or generally prefer to other systems? There will be some overlap so this is a multiple-choice poll.

I started out helping my (now) partner grow in soil and found it frustrating to figure out what was happening with the plants. Then a friend turned us on to Hydroton and bubbleponics. :cool: We started having success and decided to try variations on that with 5gal DWC buckets. had a bit of trouble with those and decided to do another variation that looked like a combination of flood table, DWC, and fast-feed drip system.

We finally settled on the 10gal totes with holes cut in the tops of them so that the 1ltr planters(with lots of holes drilled in them) hang down 3/4 deep into tote. We have a 12gal rez that sits beneath them and each tote drains down into the rez and then is pumped back to the top to feed each plant with constant trickle of water.

The drain hoses in the totes sits about 2" above the bottom so that there is a small rez in each tote that maintains the roots :cool: I guess you could say that we grow hybrid plants in a hybrid system :)

I hve only run Hydro a cpl times...I use DWC when I do. 5 gallon buckets with an air stone and pump.

DWC is the easier form of hydro Ive tried.

I myself have just started out doing hydro. I'm using a combination of a Bubbleponics/Drip Bucket. The plants seem to like it. They look pretty good to me. And it's alot less messy!!

Latest posts

Back