Native Odor Defense Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleyboy

Reaction score
Growth Ranges, Central, Southern and the Valley of California, Capable of living in the warmer areas of Northern California:

Artemisia Californica - CA Sagebrush
Will stay green and fragrant from Feb/Mar through Oct/Nov. STRONG smell, very sweet smelling, however the smell has a short range, ideal for front yards or the outsides of fence lines. Water miser, very drought tolerant, only needs watering once every month tops, very capable or surviving with no waterings. Provides home for insects, stocking with beneficial insects is advised.

Close up.JPG
Close up flower.JPG
Entire plant.JPG

Salvia Mellifera - Black Sage
Will stay green Mar/Apr through Sep/Oct. Stronger smell than the Sagebrush, much stronger, the smell itself carries very well, easily 15-25 ft range. A few of these near your fence line and the neighbors won't smell a damn thing (from your buds at least). Very drought tolerant, once a month or less. And like the sagebrush easily capable of survival without waterings. Great home for a healthy insect population. Beneficial stocking is advised.

flowers sage.jpg
entire plant sage.jpg

As stated above, these are both extremely fragrant and have evolved to live in extreme heats. They will thrive with very little or no care. Watering is not necessary but if done should be no more than once every month or less.

The Artemisia pictures are mine but I must give credit to google pics for the Salvia pictures.

Now please share any plants, either native or naturalized, that do well in your area and provide great aromatic security for our outdoor enthusiasts.

I have regular and purple sage in my yard. Both the cooking variety (not to be confused with SAGEbrush). Also have a couple different types of lavender. Neither one will out smell/stink my outdoor girls come September - October.

Nice idea for a thread.

I have purple lilacs and when they are in bloom they really stink the area up, but they just arent in bloom at the rite time of year.

Honeysuckles help a little if you can circle the whole plant or garden with them the more the better. A large brush pile with a place in the middle for a plant or 2. plant raspberries,blackberries and honeysuckles on the outer edge.

If you have the chance try out some Black sage. From my experience it is far more potent in smell than Purple and even Cleveland sage. I honestly couldn't see cannabis out smelling a Black sage of equal size. Unless it's some super stanky stanky ****.

[edit] Sorry I'll watch my language.

Latest posts

Back