Nature in Urban Areas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourmet

Reaction score
I love to just sit in my backyard in a large city watching urban wildlife. It's amazing how close wildlife will allow me once used to my voice and presence. Last year a rabbit dug a nest and had her young not 4 to 6 feet from me while I sat in a swing speaking low and gently to her. She had previously taken to sleeping under a rose bush nearby when I was outside, purposely coming close to nap.

Then there is the old possum who is nearly deaf and blind who will walk right up to me until I yell "HEY! Getting a little close there aren't ya!" She looks up slowly, cocks her head and then turns around and stumbles back down the sidewalk. This happens frequently.

The squirrel that runs to me and over my back to cross the yard instead of the other direction. The woodpeckers that let us walk right up to the woodpecker "upside down" feeder...

The raccoon who is not yet used to me...but we are working on it.

The deer that was trotting down the middle of the street at 5am.

Very cool stuff.

So here is our latest photos of our local guest for the last 3 years or so. No longer on the endangered species list, it is still on the threatened list. A number of cities placed a few pair in skyscrapers in the early 90's to see if they could increase their numbers and take care of their pigeon problems int he process. The experiment has been a success.

We live 15 miles from downtown. As you can see, this bird is NOT banded and I have reported the sighting. He just got through with lunch...a nice fat mouse running along our garage. He sat and waited for it like a cat would. He also plucks sparrows out of the sky. Seeing him dive is awesome.

Here ya go...our local Peregrin Falcon...he has a mate somewhere nearby as I can hear them calling back and forth...

SDC10075.JPG

SDC10076.JPG

SDC10077.JPG

SDC10078.JPG

SDC10079.JPG

SDC10080.JPG

In a time long ago,

I was in the military service, and what I did required that I learn to use our skills as natural observers. To this day I seriously enjoy those times where I can sit quietly out on the back patio, and just drink in all that I can see and hear.

A good hoober, some warm sunshine, fresh fruit, and a perrier with a twist, WAKE and Bake takes on a whole new meaning. LOL Yeah, ya gotta love it...

Those pics are sweet, Thanks for sharing them

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

very pretty thank you! I feed the birds and squirrels and pne was attacking my long hair everytime I went out...crazy bird.

Thats awesome gourmet! I love to sit and watch the critters, I always have. I am definately attracted to the birds of prey...they are so powerful, and mysterious. We have recently had the Bald Eagle come back to the Great Lakes within the last few yrs, although it is rare to see them, when I do, I get so excited that my body shakes. I almost wrecked my truck one day, as one dove from way up in the sky to the ground to catch a rabbit...I had to pull over to settle myself down. Very Nice pics, and I must say I'm a bit jealous! Thank you for sharing that with us!

I love being out in the woods, its so peaceful and nice. Being away from everything is just so great.

Latest posts

Back