Need advice, questions that are opinion answers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddEnemy

Reaction score
Hey people,

New here... of course but I will try not to ask questions I can find out for myself. Thanks for anyone’s help, peace.

For a 5.5 X 5.5 area with 1000W Horti what would be the better choice? I will be using Mylar on all sides.

VERTICAL REFLECTORS "Vertizontal"
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/190
Or
HORIZONTAL REFLECTORS
http://www.hydroponics.net/i/389600

I also keep hearing about Miracle-gro Patio but can never find it, I went to Ace Hardware and they lady had not heard of it, she was knowledgeable about the rest of my questions. Right now I have MG Tomato Plant Food, but this Patio food has been discussed several times on different sites also Rapid grow.

I never have used or seen Mylar, I ordered it today but is this stuff usually hung alone or does it need to be pined/taped to something?

Just by going from what I read a 600W Horti should handle a space of 3.5X3.5, so if I figured this up correctly I should be able to grow 9 plants in 5gal paint buckets at a height of 5 feet. Does this sound about right? How many plants can a 1000W Horti handle under the same situation but in a grow space of 6X6?

Last thing, security.

I am getting a timer put on my water heater and have changed out the lights around the house to 25W along with a few other electricity saving ideas. I looked at my bill and it jumps from 1400K to 2100 at times. I have a pretty big house with lots of Electric eating machines, if I add 1000W I could spike it up to 3000K some months. Should I stick with a 600 along with saving electric some how or is it safe to use a 1000W? I heard people get caught that have bills around $600.00 up and I will probably hit $240. to $260.00 with a 1000W. I just wonder about the sudden jump from last year.

Thanks,

ME

Hello, Madd - I will wait & let the big boys answer this for you. Just hold on...:)

umm the patio shit is also called all purpose plant food 20-20-20 its at home depot or lowes i just had to get some more last night

hang your light horiz. and get the 1000 watter or better yet 2 400 watters the 600 watters have low lamp life if space is the issue get the 1000 watter plants love as much light as you can give them you can never give them to much just make sure its vented well heat may be an issue nothing a few fans cant fix IF I were you I would get the 2 400 watters 1 hps and 1 MH that way you got the full spectrum of light use the MH for vegg and the hps for flower better yet use both
hope I helped
CINCY

MaddEnemy said:
Hey people,

New here... of course but I will try not to ask questions I can find out for myself. Thanks for anyone’s help, peace.
WELCOME !!!!
For a 5.5 X 5.5 area with 1000W Horti what would be the better choice? I will be using Mylar on all sides.

VERTICAL REFLECTORS "Vertizontal"
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/190
Or
HORIZONTAL REFLECTORS
http://www.hydroponics.net/i/389600
Go with the vertical, but if you ask my personal opinion, I wouldn't use any at all, but that's just me!! lol
I also keep hearing about Miracle-gro Patio but can never find it, I went to Ace Hardware and they lady had not heard of it, she was knowledgeable about the rest of my questions. Right now I have MG Tomato Plant Food, but this Patio food has been discussed several times on different sites also Rapid grow.
Miracle grow is basic plant food. If you're in Canada or the US, PM me, and I can get you some good, cheap food. You want something more meant for MJ, not a basic plant food.

I never have used or seen Mylar, I ordered it today but is this stuff usually hung alone or does it need to be pined/taped to something?
You should have went with 'black and white Poly', it's easier to work with, cheaper, and easier to clean. But you'll need to either tack up or tape mylar.

Just by going from what I read a 600W Horti should handle a space of 3.5X3.5, so if I figured this up correctly I should be able to grow 9 plants in 5gal paint buckets at a height of 5 feet. Does this sound about right? How many plants can a 1000W Horti handle under the same situation but in a grow space of 6X6?
One 1000W will be good for veg, but you'll need more for a good bloom cycle, in a room that size. I would suggest getting at least another 400W, or maybe another 1000W.

Last thing, security.

I am getting a timer put on my water heater and have changed out the lights around the house to 25W along with a few other electricity saving ideas. I looked at my bill and it jumps from 1400K to 2100 at times. I have a pretty big house with lots of Electric eating machines, if I add 1000W I could spike it up to 3000K some months. Should I stick with a 600 along with saving electric some how or is it safe to use a 1000W? I heard people get caught that have bills around $600.00 up and I will probably hit $240. to $260.00 with a 1000W. I just wonder about the sudden jump from last year.

Thanks,

ME
What you should do, is get those energy saving CFL lights. They'll cut down on hydro big time. Don't worry too much about the increase in your bill. A hydro company doesn't care, as long as they get paid ON TIME. I've had 12-1000w lights going in one house before. Just don't steal it, and pay for it. Also, before you start blaring those lights, bring your hydro bill up by leaving all your lights on, and consuming as much as possible before the 'big jump'.

Also, keep your light on at night, that way when they come to read the meter, it's not spinning like mad.

yes, thank you.

I am sure I just need to look around more but if you or anyone knows of quality lights "1 hps and 1 MH" as you mentioned, I would like to know the site.

Thanks

ME

EDITED: Reading yours now Nott

my bad def. get the vertical one covers more space

the highist econolight has is 400 watters but there cheap ballest comes instaled already and replacement bulbs are only 5 6 dollers

I am in a dilemma here,

I will be using 2 walls "corner" in my room; they will have Mylar on them. My problem is the open space where I need to find a way to box in the plants so the Mylar will be all around them.

I have thought of using some sort of temp wall from Office depot, "to much money" and even just plywood, big and a pain to move when I need to water. I have even thought of using a shower curtain and close pin the Mylar to it or even bed sheets with the Mylar used the same way.

I could really use some advice; I'm probably over looking something that would be perfect.

I have read all your posts - are you growing in a corner of your own bedroom? Do you live with your parents? How much floor space do you have?

Goldie said:
I have read all your posts - are you growing in a corner of your own bedroom? Do you live with your parents? How much floor space do you have?

Hey Goldie,

Question 2: I am grown, 32 :D
Question 1 & 3: I have a 4 Bdrm house, 1 bdrm was a guest room but after a year I only had family stay once during the Hurricanes of last year. That guest room is now my grow room so I actually have as much space as I want but only what a 1000W Horti can handle. I am trying to avoid hammers and nails into the walls as much as possible but honestly nail holes can always be patched and painted I guess.

Thanks

ME

Do you have an extra bathroom? Or a walk-in closet? And how big is your guest room? I am thinking - I have read it - that your light system can support a small room. Thanks.

1000 watt lights have a 10x10 foot print... What is more important is that you want ATLEAST 50 watts per square foot in your area. Now, you can fit a lot more than that, but remember the more you fit into any area the hotter it will become.

Instead of a shower curtain, go to Walmart in the camping section and get an emergency reflective blanket for a couple of bucks. You'll have to pin it up somehow.(maybe an old dresser of something you got laying around will do.)
Lighting- You should try and have 2500 lumens per plant.
Security- Like mentioned earlier, as long as the utility co. gets their bread they don't care. I like the idea of running the lights at night so not to be noticed by the meter reader. Also, it will help keep them warm at night and not to get too hot ever. You should have a fan blow on them too, to give them strength.

Goldie said:
Do you have an extra bathroom? Or a walk-in closet? And how big is your guest room? I am thinking - I have read it - that your light system can support a small room. Thanks.

I do have a closet in the spare room; my room is 14X10X8 with AC/Heat and exhaust already in the ceiling. I know I can grow a jungle in there if I wanted but all I want is something small. I am growing for me and not to sell, well I might sell some of the first crop to pay for materials, electric and maybe to get a few more things for the next grow. Once I made back what I put into my hobby the weed is mine. I do not want trouble with the law and I am not in it to make money, to me it is an exciting hobby. 10 plants is fine with me and I say 10 because I know some will be males and thrown out.

Auto wrote,

"1000 watt lights have a 10x10 foot print... What is more important is that you want ATLEAST 50 watts per square foot in your area. Now, you can fit a lot more than that, but remember the more you fit into any area the hotter it will become."

Maybe I am over doing it with 1000W, I still have not ordered yet.

Well, how many square feet is the closet? You might want to use that - they are self-contained - close the door & no one will ever know anything.If you only wanted one or two, I`d tell you to go buy a big cheap secondhand wardrobe - they are perfect for stealth grows. And you could start a small veg room in just about anything - a nighttable, for example...

But if you want several, I would go with the room. You will need to plant extra, and cull the males - it takes a bit of room to grow any amount.

I guess I'd judge by how much final product I wanted.... for example I plant carefully groomed and harvested under a 70 watt light supplied me and the misses for about 7 months but we dont smoke a whole lot maybe a joint every other day.... I never weighed it so I dunno how much it was but.... you get the picture. NTC is a good person to talk to on this subject... I'm sure he could offer a lot of help...
peas,
auto-

Latest posts

Back