Need Cal/Mag? Week 7 flower getting rough...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadil

Reaction score
Is this a classic calcium deficiency? Brown spots on leaves, yellowing etc.. or a lockout?

Nutrients in use: Fox Farm Trio and fox farm bloom solubles. Sensi Calmag,+4-0-0 (I really wish this was lower in N but its all I have for now.) and Molasses
PH 6.2 or so
SpiderFarmer SF-1000 10-12 inches from tops.
Humidity 35-40, Temp 72 day, 70 night.

I'm feeding lightly half strength once per week following the fox farm feeding schedule.

Edit, Not having flowers on my plant got to me and I tossed this in the garbage over night at week 6 or so. I woke up and felt bad for it and decided to let her finish. I think I might have some flowers this time, but I still don't really understand what a bud is. 3 weeks to go if she can make it.

3_11.JPG

3_11.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe yes, if your not giving it any... a shot of Calmag would be loved and buds should look a little better to.. but, I wouldn't panic to much with it being older growth. Espcially if your backing off the N it could just be stealing it from within itself being a mobile element. Looks like some slight clawing though and leaf tip burn.

You give her a light flush yet ? I would. Just enough to get rid of that filmy look the water gets and get it to run clear.. then hit it with calmag and PK booster, molasses. after that, close to water only and more flushing at wk 9.

your on track for a nice harvest. I ran a SF1000 for years and still have it in my 2x2x4 tent.. just with the dimmer switch was more easily accessed huh?

luck

Yep, the SF-1000, its perfect for my needs. Pretty amazing for under 100 watts of power. (less than a light bulb) Yes, mine has a dimmer but I'm on 100% the whole time, waisted on me.

I flushed a few weeks ago but think your right, a mini-flush might be perfect. I'm not watering to run-off and Its very possible I have some salt build up.

My pictures here aren't great and the yellowing and browning is advancing very fast. I'll post back in a day or two.

You have a micro nutrient deficiency like Molybdenum, Zinc, or Boron; or a combination of a few. Buy a quart of GH micro and feed it ~4ml/gal with some of your bottled water.
They should really appreciate it.

But, for how far they have come it really isn’t that bad.

these spots here circled in light green are an indication of what’s to come later circled in orange and that looks like micro nutes, not an NPK problem. A lot of micro nutes, most actually, give similar looking issues when deficient.

Attachments

• 0FB2EA3E-68C5-4C32-88F4-E8FC987B2244.jpeg
    0FB2EA3E-68C5-4C32-88F4-E8FC987B2244.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 17
these spots here circled in light green are an indication of what’s to come later circled in orange and that looks like micro nutes, not an NPK problem. A lot of micro nutes, most actually, give similar looking issues when deficient.

So, I'm, pretty disappointed that the Fox Farm feeding schedule leaves you with deficiencies. Thanks much for your advice, I have been meaning to buy a micro nutrient solution and will grab one fast. I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
So, I'm, pretty disappointed that the Fox Farm feeding schedule leaves you with deficiencies. Thanks much for your advice, I have been meaning to buy a micro nutrient solution and will grab one fast. I really appreciate it!
Different strains require more or less of everything in the spectrum. That’s why there’s so many types and flavors.

I'm not watering to run-off and Its very possible I have some salt build up.

My pictures here aren't great and the yellowing and browning is advancing very fast. I'll post back in a day or two.

My vote is lock out due to salt build up. This looks like what I was telling another member here about not watering until runoff.
It shows up later in flower with burning edges and gets worst fast.

My vote is lock out due to salt build up. This looks like what I was telling another member here about not watering until runoff.
It shows up later in flower with burning edges and gets worst fast.

Yes, but understand that the only reason I don't water to run off is that the plant gets very unhappy if I do. This is with Fox Farm Happy Frog and a very healthy dose of perlite added. Watering till run-off isn't an option, I wish it was.

I did flush her a few weeks ago, I'll have to try one more time. Its getting real bad real fast.

I came out with scissors last night and mangled her at week 7.5 flower. Not good ! I cut away half the buds and leaves. Hopefully this will keep the nutrient demands down.

Thanks for the help all, but I think I can chalk up my number two grow to failure once again. It was doing so good too !

Not a failure....a learning experience. All beginners experience some problems until dialed in...I think you can nurse them all the way home. Don't give up. I cut out N, cal/mag and some suppliements 30 day from harvest and some strains fade faster than others...gotta learn to relax and be durable....

I'm going take a long growing break after this one, four months is too long to go only to have failure in the last two weeks !

I'm good, I'll get some leaves to smoke for a while, no flowers-- but someday.

Next grow I'm moving to 5 gallons soil and a shorter Veg. I'm thinking my plant was taking more than the soil could provide.

Wait why did you cut the buds off? I guess maybe save those and let your plant continue maturing the rest of the buds.

Wait why did you cut the buds off? I guess maybe save those and let your plant continue maturing the rest of the buds.

My last grow, I chopped off a lot of leaves due to some soil issues. This is my second grow and for learning purposes, I wanted to see what would happen if I let the plant grow on its own with minimal HST (chopping). It was a bad idea. I wound up with a huge thick pile of leaves and popcorn buds at the bottom of my plant that (according to my newbie theory) are using up resources my main colas can use.

So, I chopped half of all the small buds that were lower than 50% the height of my top buds. I also removed a lot of leaves, mainly leaves that were blocking light and dying. I know it's not good cutting this late into flower, but it's do or die at this point. Whatever deficiency I have is moving way too fast, and I don't want brown leaves on my flowers !

I'll try adding Dynagrow bloom (need to purchase) tomorrow as it contains micro nutrients my plant may be needing. I doubt it will work fast enough to save my plant, but we'll see.

Side note: This plant was trained with its main stem bent horizontal. (to keep her low in my small space) I also topped this plant twice during Veg.

Pic: here is my popcorn taken early so that my plant can focus on the bigger buds. (day 3 drying--yes I use cigar boxes, I love them for drying.) Who knows, this stuff might even get me high...the trics are clear and cloudy.

IMG_0512.JPG

Last edited:
Ohh I see what you mean. I thought you harvested the top colas and we're banking on the smaller popcorn ones to grow.
I'm only leaving 6-8 colas and I'm chopping the extra leaves and branches and I think this should work well.

Ohh I see what you mean. I thought you harvested the top colas and we're banking on the smaller popcorn ones to grow.
I'm only leaving 6-8 colas and I'm chopping the extra leaves and branches and I think this should work well.

Nice, sounds like you have a plan. I think I may be learning that soil is key, when you run out of soil, nutrients can keep you going, but they are tricky. In short, I think if I had used 5 gallons of soil instead of 2.5, this wouldn't be happening so soon. I'll go 5-7 gallons next grow with one plant!

6-8 colas is probably just right, I got greedy ! (had around 20, have 14 tops now).

Well I use around 3 gallons of soil (only half filled my octopot) but it has a large 6 gallon water resivoir that I filled up with nutrients similar to hydroponics so the roots are all down there.

I was just reading that with people with plants of my size 2 feet so far during 2nd week of flower that 6-8 would be appropriate in my 18 inch by 18 inch growing area (total is 18x36 and I have 2 plants).

The smaller branches, at least what I've seen, grow useless popcorn buds and use up too much nutrients or resources that detract from producing large main colas.

Well I use around 3 gallons of soil (only half filled my octopot) but it has a large 6 gallon water resivoir that I filled up with nutrients similar to hydroponics so the roots are all down there.

I was just reading that with people with plants of my size 2 feet so far during 2nd week of flower that 6-8 would be appropriate in my 18 inch by 18 inch growing area (total is 18x36 and I have 2 plants).

The smaller branches, at least what I've seen, grow useless popcorn buds and use up too much nutrients or resources that detract from producing large main colas.

Yep, I should have removed the lower growth early, lesson learned!

Your in the same size space as me, 18x18. Its not perfect, but its teaching me to keep my plant low and to keep all of the tops at the same height. This really takes advantage of your light. (In my case less than 100 watts) I'm not sure how folks with tall plants get good indoor light down to the lower branches. It seems to me you want all your flowers right at the top getting the best light they can. A few inches light movement makes a HUGE difference in the amount of light a plant is taking in. Tall plants and high powered lights seem to be a waist of electricity to me, but maybe I'm just jealous that I have such a small space.

1-2 ounces with a power draw of less than 100 watts is pretty cool. I turn the light off in the kitchen at night and break even with electric costs !

Last edited:
So I'm very similar!! Mine draw around 105-110 watts ish ( I have two of them) and I try to save on my electricity bill. I don't even run a fan inside my tent as it would consume around 30 watts. I have my 6 inch outlet fan running at 50% power which draws 25 watts total and is able to move enough air that the plants move a little.

If memory serves me correct, you're growing northern lights yes? Our indica strains (mine being purple punch) doesnt really grow that tall as long as your lights are somewhat close (I'm always at 12 inches no matter) and my plants have done ok ish with lst and top cropping.

If I may suggest, veg + bloom and cal mag is all you really should need. If you look at studies, supplement with sucrose (sugar of any kind), organic and whatnot doesn't make a difference as long as the relative ratio and concentration of the nutrients are there. Organic components just break down to the constituent nutrients anyways and also I don't want to lug around a large container of bat guano or work castings or make some organic tea.

Also you don't need to flush and you can just do regular pH'd water the last 2 weeks according to all the research I've done and it'll come out the same.

Also this whole notion of nutrients and chlorophyll degredation is just a load of **. I'm a biochemist and my father was a botanist. Chlorophyll has a short half life and degrades with time relative to temperature.

I'm just going to give heavy nutrients during early mid flower then just give water as to not waste excess nutrients.

Lastly, I've noticed in my octopot that the pH tends to shift upwards and upon contacting the makers of octopot, they say that's normal as when plants uptake nutrients the pH tends to go up. So if you're growing in soil only, you may need to water at a bit lower. I never checked the pH of my runoff when I was in soil but when I went to the octopot and checked the reservoir the pH would jump from 5.9 to 6.9 in 1-2 days after the plant uptook the nutrients.

These pictures are now on 1.5 weeks of flower. It'll be interesting to see what we both get as a yield since I've messed up a lot so far. My plants almost died 3 times, then over watered, underwatered, didn't pH my water, then forgot to add perlite, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_183208.jpg
    IMG_20220317_183208.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220317_183205.jpg
    IMG_20220317_183205.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220317_183159.jpg
    IMG_20220317_183159.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So I'm very similar!! Mine draw around 105-110 watts ish ( I have two of them) and I try to save on my electricity bill. I don't even run a fan inside my tent as it would consume around 30 watts. I have my 6 inch outlet fan running at 50% power which draws 25 watts total and is able to move enough air that the plants move a little.

If memory serves me correct, you're growing northern lights yes? Our indica strains (mine being purple punch) doesnt really grow that tall as long as your lights are somewhat close (I'm always at 12 inches no matter) and my plants have done ok ish with lst and top cropping.

If I may suggest, veg + bloom and cal mag is all you really should need. If you look at studies, supplement with sucrose (sugar of any kind), organic and whatnot doesn't make a difference as long as the relative ratio and concentration of the nutrients are there. Organic components just break down to the constituent nutrients anyways and also I don't want to lug around a large container of bat guano or work castings or make some organic tea.

Also you don't need to flush and you can just do regular pH'd water the last 2 weeks according to all the research I've done and it'll come out the same.

Also this whole notion of nutrients and chlorophyll degredation is just a load of **. I'm a biochemist and my father was a botanist. Chlorophyll has a short half life and degrades with time relative to temperature.

I'm just going to give heavy nutrients during early mid flower then just give water as to not waste excess nutrients.

Lastly, I've noticed in my octopot that the pH tends to shift upwards and upon contacting the makers of octopot, they say that's normal as when plants uptake nutrients the pH tends to go up. So if you're growing in soil only, you may need to water at a bit lower. I never checked the pH of my runoff when I was in soil but when I went to the octopot and checked the reservoir the pH would jump from 5.9 to 6.9 in 1-2 days after the plant uptook the nutrients.

Any chance you tied your own trellis net? I did, my space is so small I figured how hard can it be to make a net? It wasn't that easy, but a little twine and a few tries and I'm good to go.

Are you talking about Dynagrow Veg and Bloom? I understand these nutrients are very simple to use and I'm tired of "wondering" what's in the fox farm snake oil. How can I troubleshoot or fix a deficiency when I have no clue what's in half the bottles? As far as I understand, Dynagrow has your micro nutrients taken care of for you. (Micro/ Macro? Not sure, have the same problem with camera lenses....)

Your setup looks amazing, that's a lot more space than I'm using. Have you considered bending the main stalk horizontally during early veg? It seems to help keep everything level and takes many inches off the height.

Latest posts

Back