Need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertbreezes13

Reaction score
First harvest in over 20 years. Thought I had done my homework and ready to take on my new hobby. I live in the desert with daytime highs in the 120s. Despite all the warnings and reasons not to grow in a garage, being an hvac tech I thought I had all the answers. Garage Temps can reach upto 110. I decided to by a 3x3 tent that is would set up in the corner of the garage. To controll the high heat I went into the attic and added a 40 foot 6inch run directly off the coil that supplies part of the house. To increase the cfm I bought an inline intake fan. One problem I have found is that when the ac cycles on the thermostat is set to 76 meaning the air going directly into tent will be 56. Knowing this would be to cold.as the duct comes.out of the.ceiling from the attic I placed.a.t-y with an.additional 5 feet of duct work that.draws air from the.warmer garage mixing with the.cold.air to.finally coming out at about 65 in tent. Still my temps.will.fluctuate t/o the day from 62 to 85. I have hug a.co2 bag hoping this would help. My soil is.fox.farm oceanic mixed with.perilyte 20 percent. I went with a s vs3000 led light. I have 3 gallon fabric pots. Light cycle is 18/6. I started with distilled water always ph and would add black magic cal mag every other feeding. The plants did great up until week 4. I began to notice taco leaves and thought is was a cal mag deficiency. The day after treating them I have noticed the.plants are all now.drooping. I will include pics please help

First harvest in over 20 years. Thought I had done my homework and ready to take on my new hobby. I live in the desert with daytime highs in the 120s. Despite all the warnings and reasons not to grow in a garage, being an hvac tech I thought I had all the answers. Garage Temps can reach upto 110. I decided to by a 3x3 tent that is would set up in the corner of the garage. To controll the high heat I went into the attic and added a 40 foot 6inch run directly off the coil that supplies part of the house. To increase the cfm I bought an inline intake fan. One problem I have found is that when the ac cycles on the thermostat is set to 76 meaning the air going directly into tent will be 56. Knowing this would be to cold.as the duct comes.out of the.ceiling from the attic I placed.a.t-y with an.additional 5 feet of duct work that.draws air from the.warmer garage mixing with the.cold.air to.finally coming out at about 65 in tent. Still my temps.will.fluctuate t/o the day from 62 to 85. I have hug a.co2 bag hoping this would help. My soil is.fox.farm oceanic mixed with.perilyte 20 percent. I went with a s vs3000 led light. I have 3 gallon fabric pots. Light cycle is 18/6. I started with distilled water always ph and would add black magic cal mag every other feeding. The plants did great up until week 4. I began to notice taco leaves and thought is was a cal mag deficiency. The day after treating them I have noticed the.plants are all now.drooping. I will include pics please help

Attachments

• 20220619_084800.jpg
    20220619_084800.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 10
taco leaves usually mean heat stress...how's the humidity and fresh air exchange...you need to cycle the air...

Yep. The temps are within range, but ya gotta keep air moving.
There's a lot of dirt growers that'll be weighing in soon. Personally, dirt stays outside, and water stays inside. Outside = bigger crops, more bugs. Indoors in water = smaller yield, more control as far as everything, and if done right, bug free.

A/C dries air out(maybe not a swamp cooler). I know my A/C pumps dry cool air into my house and that is good for me but I assume the air is pretty dry in the desert so you may want to add a humidifier as well. I would assume your soil dries out pretty quickly as well but some humidity in the tent may help that too. Sounds like a tough row to hoe.

Are you running your lights at 100%?

How far away from your plants are they?

could be heat/light combo. But if your lights are strong and your plants are young it may be to much for them till they get a bit bigger. That 62 and 85 is doable tho. Should be able to grow some of the pretty purple weeds with that low temp

I think I found a big issue. When I started to see taco leaves I treated with black magic cal mag. My eyesight obviously not as good as it used to be. Label said proper dose was 1-15 tspoons. I thought that was strange such a big swing so I thought I would be on safe side and added 3 tspoons to 1 gallon water. Today I was watching video on how to treat and it was saying to use 1ml. I went back and read label again in light and was horrified. If it was a patient I would have killed them. The label said 1-1.5. So being autoflowers I gave e them probably 10x what I should of. Do they have any hope? Really bummed me out. Really putting in the time and they were doing so good..

Hello fellow hvac man. The best way to get a constant temp would be to draw the air from the house instead of the duct work. Might be a little more humid as well. Best of luck I will add pics of my intake setup, granted I'm not dealing with the heat like you. Keeping the tent under positive pressure may help as well.

Attachments

• 20220606_211428.jpg
    20220606_211428.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220606_211443.jpg
    20220606_211443.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
I think I found a big issue. When I started to see taco leaves I treated with black magic cal mag. My eyesight obviously not as good as it used to be. Label said proper dose was 1-15 tspoons. I thought that was strange such a big swing so I thought I would be on safe side and added 3 tspoons to 1 gallon water. Today I was watching video on how to treat and it was saying to use 1ml. I went back and read label again in light and was horrified. If it was a patient I would have killed them. The label said 1-1.5. So being autoflowers I gave e them probably 10x what I should of. Do they have any hope? Really bummed me out. Really putting in the time and they were doing so good..

flush flush flush

Magnesium (Mg) excess
How to quickly detect a Mg excess in cannabis plants?

• Its detection is difficult since having magnesium excesses is rare as long as we use substrates suitable for growing marijuana.
  • Magnesium ions come into conflict with calcium ions, causing Ca lock-out (look for symptoms of calciumdeficiencies)
  • If there is excess of Mg you should flush the roots with triple the amount of water than the capacity of the pot. After that, water your plantswith a balanced fertiliser

Magnesium Toxicity In Cannabis Plants
According to Marijuana Horticulture Fundamentals, magnesium toxicity is extremely rare and is difficult to diagnose, and even when it occurs, visual symptoms may not occur.

But that doesn’t mean that magnesium toxicity should be ignored because an overdose can cause potassium or calcium lockout.

Signs of excess magnesium include curling leaves, dark and brown spots on leaves, and loss of old leaves.

Since magnesium toxicity causes calcium lockout, your plant will display signs of calcium deficiency when exposed to excess magnesium.

According to The Rev. True Living Organics, excess magnesium in the soil mix forms a hard layer on the top that makes it difficult for air and water to penetrate.

Well I’ll say you probably won’t make that mistake again sorry but washing out that dirt with fresh water may help some to get that extra stuff you put in out of some of the soil. Your plants still look good tho so don’t worry to much. Keep us posted so we can all learn something and good luck I’m hoping that they will come thru fine 😊

flush flush flush

Magnesium (Mg) excess
How to quickly detect a Mg excess in cannabis plants?

• Its detection is difficult since having magnesium excesses is rare as long as we use substrates suitable for growing marijuana.
  • Magnesium ions come into conflict with calcium ions, causing Ca lock-out (look for symptoms of calciumdeficiencies)
  • If there is excess of Mg you should flush the roots with triple the amount of water than the capacity of the pot. After that, water your plantswith a balanced fertiliser

Magnesium Toxicity In Cannabis Plants
According to Marijuana Horticulture Fundamentals, magnesium toxicity is extremely rare and is difficult to diagnose, and even when it occurs, visual symptoms may not occur.

But that doesn’t mean that magnesium toxicity should be ignored because an overdose can cause potassium or calcium lockout.

Signs of excess magnesium include curling leaves, dark and brown spots on leaves, and loss of old leaves.

Since magnesium toxicity causes calcium lockout, your plant will display signs of calcium deficiency when exposed to excess magnesium.

According to The Rev. True Living Organics, excess magnesium in the soil mix forms a hard layer on the top that makes it difficult for air and water to penetrate.
This post answers so many question directly related to issues that I was having with my plants earlier. Thank you for the knowledge.

I use CalMag all the time. ONE TEASPOON PER GALLON is all you need.

Latest posts

Back