Need some advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am attempting my first grow and am going to do so in a grow cabinet. Was wondering if anyone can recommend one they may have used/ be using. I do not wish to build one myself, and have a budget of about 1500 maybe a little more if need be. Would like to get maximum yield. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

with a budget of 1500 you could build a 4x4 room get 1000 watt system inline fan carbine filter and seeds.im not familier with grow cabinets but from past experience is that the smaller your grow space the harder it is to control your temperature. someone else will be able to help you in that area.looks like your new welcome to mp

seen your other question,what do you mean by a grow box?1 ft by 1 ft x1ft box,or 4 ft by 4 ft by 8 ft box.

Posted a reply with a link to the box i was looking on getting but must have been considered spam as it said it had to be reviewed by a moderator. My apologies I am new to this. I beleive the dimensions were about 3x3x6. Mainly wanted to go pre fab out of easiness for beginners as it comes with everything you need and basically is plug and play. I would not be against building my own room as long as I could figure out how to adequately keep the smell down. I am completely legalized to do so just my neighbour's where I live are very bitchy and live to do just that. Regardless I would like to get the most bang for my buck and get a high yield as would anyone. Just looking for some advice on where to start.

Iff you have the money and really want to buy that prefab type of grow cabinet, it will do ffor a small grow. But for the money, I think it is crazy to buy those. If that was about $400 for the whole thing (except maybe the light) then it would be reasonable, but everyone of those I have seen is waaay over priced for what you get.

You can buy a nice grow tent that is 3x3x7/4x4x7 and set it up fully for less than that cabinet and be able to produce more with it. The key to controlling odor is carbon ffilters. You can set up a nice tent with all the light you will need, exhaust fan and filter, and no one will smell it outside of your house. If you put it in a room that is away from the front of your house then people coming in won't smell it until they go into that room. You can even do extra scrubbing that would totally isolate the odors and it wouldn't be noticeable even upon entering that room, and still not be anymore expense than that one cabinet.

Here is a nice 4x4x6-3/4' tent that is easy to set up and get started. It has all the access and ventilation ports that you need: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Hydroponic-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00H9O6UJ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1414245935&sr=8-6&keywords=grow+tent[/ame]
Here is the light that you would need. It has the ability to be used from early veg to fflower and harvest, and it is the only lights I use: http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/ipower-grow-light-600w-hps-mh-dimmable-6-cool-tube-xl-set.html
Here is the exhaust fan that you will need. It is a little bit of overkill but you can get a fan speed controller that will allow you to slow the ffan without harm and make it run nearly silent, while supplying your plants all the fresh air and cooling that they will need: http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/vortex-6-449-cfm-powerfan.html
Here is the filter that you would use during flowering: http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/ipower-6-x16-inch-air-carbon-filter-inline-fan-scrubber.html
If odor is a critical issue then you could get a second filter and ffan to set up in the same room which would simply scrub the air within that room so that no smells leave the room.

Those are the main things you have to buy, but you will need to buy either pots or plastic totes for growing in. The hydro systems that they show in the "grow cabinet kits" are nice but if you are new and don't want to have to learn multiple things at once then skip the hydro stuff and go straight to soil or soilless.

There is obviously more to it but this is the big part that will better serve you. There are lots of choices on grow pots, mediums, and nutrients, but that can be kept quite simple and still be able to get the most yield ffor your dollar spent in set up.

Thanks alot, very helpful. I think I'm going to go this way instead of the pre fab cabinet, seems a lot more affordable. How many plants would you recommend for the 4x4x7/600w setup?

You are welcome :) The number of plants depends on several things. I generally only grow 4 plants in a 4x4 space, but I grow hybrid plants that usually bush out and fill the space, while growing to a height of 3-5' tall. If you are growing autos, you could grow 4-8 depending on how big they will get according to the strains. You could get some real Indica dominant strains that are made to grow straight up with little side branching or bushing. In that case 6-10 plants could be grown together.

You said you want to maximize yield, is this for yourself or are you going to be supplying others as well?

I am not sure yet lol i have a few months off work right now so I don't know when I'm going to get to give a grow my full attention again other than this time, one of my main reasons for wanting to maximize yield. What strain/seed bank would you recommend for doing so?

That grow box is so overpriced that those guys should be wearing masks and carrying weapons. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Since you have a budget of $1500, I would recommend getting 2 600W for the 4 x 4 tent. I would also recommend getting and setting up a separate vegging tent if you have the space. You can get a nice little 2 x 4 tent, fans and such, and a 6 bulb 4' T5 for not much. The beauty of having separate vegging and flowering spaces is that you can harvest twice as many crops a years.

I like Attitude seed bank. I usually recommend buying what you like. Get a strain or two with the characteristics that appeal to you and that you can accommodate in your grow space. For instance you are probably not going to want some long flowering, willowy sativa strain. Some strains will just produce more than others. While breeder's estimates for both yield and flowering times are based on having a dialed in grow space, it does give you an idea of what a plant will produce in what amount of time. There is a learning curve to this hobby, so as you learn more and get a few grows under your belt, your yield should increase. Not to say though that a new grower cannot get a very nice harvest right out of the gate--many of them do. You will get out of this what you put into it though. You are fortunate that you do have enough money to set up a real decent grow with 2 spaces if you want. I love having 2 spaces and stagger my plants so that I harvest one every 10 days to 2 weeks.

I like the idea of the veg tent aswell. And would definately consider adding another light if it wouldn't be over kill in that size tent. I'm all ears right now.

I would make sure you get an air cooled hood for the light. HPS lights get very hot in a tent. You may want to look into LED's as well if you've got time. They run cool and use much less power.

Yes, check into LED`s. The way to go, but if you do, DO NOT by a cheap one. You get what you pay for. Love mine.

Not horrible, not great, probably about 20% overpriced, However, the bigger problem that that tent is too big for a 600W light. You are not going to want to go bigger than a 4 x 4 with a 600W and even then, most people run 2 600W or a 1000w in a 4 X 4. You can get a tent for around $150. You can get a light for around $175. You can get a fan/filter combo for around $135. The timer, ducting, speed controller and rope hangers will run about $30-40. All this stuff is available from Amazon. I guess whether it is reasonable or not depends on whether you want to pay someone else to bundle this stuff together or whether you want to buy your own things "ala carte" and save a hundred or so bucks. If you shop around you may find even better prices.

I have a 2 x 4 closet I use to veg, but a 2 x 4 tent would go nice with a 4 x 4 flowering tent. I run a 4 tube 4' T5 in there. That puts me a bit below 3000 lumens per sq ft, but the closet is actually around 22" deep so it really is under 8 sq ft a bit.

I personally need the heat from the HPS lights for my winter grows.

Latest posts

Back