Need some Assistance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocker01

Reaction score
It's been about 5 years since I've done a grow and I'm a little rusty. I've developed a problem with my 2.5 week old girls. Edges of some of the leaves are brown. Some are curling up. See photos. I've been watering them every 2 - 3 days. I check the soil for dryness before watering. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Pearlite for my soil. Nothing else mixed in soil. I've used this mixture before with no issues. My PH is 6.5. I cannot check my PPM cause my meter is broken. I ordered a new one. I have not used any ferts. I transplanted them into 5 gallon pots yesterday but my leaf problem started showing up before that. The small pots I had them in had the same soil mix as the large pots. I'm growing a new strain for me called "Critical feminized". I'm using 2 - 400W LED grow lights at about 20 inches from the girls. The temperature in the grow room is always between 68 - 78 F. The problem seems to be getting worse. Is it too early to start using ferts? Did I over water? Are my lights too close? This is a mystery to me. I've done several grows before and never had this problem. Guess it could be the strain. What can I do to fix this. If ferts is the answer I currently have Foxfarm Big Bloom and Foxfarm Grow Big. Big Bloom is organic the other isn't. Again I've not used any yet.

Attachments

• 20200509_060629_resized.jpg
    20200509_060629_resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200509_060636_resized.jpg
    20200509_060636_resized.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 50
GdAY R01 I am a water farmer , but looks to me like to much nutes , Im sure someone will drop by with an answer

Rocker01 I'm a 2nd year grower and an avid reader of anything of importance to growing. If it's more than just one plant there's something amiss in the recipe. There are really great sticky pages on here to get you going. There are charts on here that show's different problems with pictures and the POSSIBLE cure. I know they are not drooping but I notice the water all around the stem but not very much and not further out away from the plant. Those roots will only grow straight down and as the plant gets bigger it won't get enough nutrients. Training the roots to grow out giving you a better transplant when it's root ball is bigger and a happier plant. I light water every other day and on Sunday I soak them down until water is coming out the bottom of the pot to keep the main center root growing down as well. Then back to light watering. Also your soil should rain well when doing this and to combat that I use coco coir. It's like the coconut fibers from oak island. It makes the soil less dense for draining, better aeration for the roots causing them to be able to grow bigger. Good luck

Hi Rocker, First thing i notice is your watering. If you remember, pot likes a wet dry cycle. So water thoroughly, the whole pot and let it dry all the way out and water again the whole pot. I wouldn't add anything yet.

Hi Rocker, First thing i notice is your watering. If you remember, pot likes a wet dry cycle. So water thoroughly, the whole pot and let it dry all the way out and water again the whole pot. I wouldn't add anything yet.
Yea I kinda forgot to say to check your soils moisture level before the every other day wetting LOL

Hi rocker, is that the pH going in or coming out?
Try this next time they are dry:
Check the pH of your ferts.
Water the plants heavily.
Check the pH of the water coming out.
Is it lower?
Also, your room temp is good. Are your plants on a concrete floor?
Last, you may be seeing damage from old sour soil in the old pots, and the transplant will help with that as they explore the new fresh soil.

Hi Stinkyattic - The PH I'm talking about is the water going in. I did not check water coming out yet. I will give them a good watering
today and check PH coming out. I'm still waiting for my meter to arrive to check my PPM. My old meter broke. I have not used any
ferts yet. No concrete floor. On carpeting in a closet. The soil in the new pots is the same as the old pots. If it is sour, it was that way out
of the bag which I bought a few weeks ago. They were only 2 weeks old when I transplanted them into 5 gal pots using same Foxfarm
and perlite mixed soil. I'll let you know what I find.

Okey dokey!
So no cold feet, that's great.
How's the fresh air flow through the closet?
Ppm is of minimal importance in dirt. Useful, so you can say, " ok my plants are scorching at xxx, let me reduce it to xx"
Foxfarm soils are notorious for being pretty spicy right out of the bag, and requiring a lot less fertilizer than others, and will definitely scorch seedlings more easily than a milder soil using the same amount of liquid fertilizer .
Good air flow combined with a conservative approach to feeding is your best bet. If the plants aren't getting enough fresh air, they can't metabolize as efficiently and overseeing symptoms will be more severe. Your plants can totally recover from the point you're at, maybe not too pretty for a couple weeks, but alive n kicking!
Happy growing!

I have a small fan circulating air. I forgot to mention that. I just got done watering them REAL good. PH on water going in was 6.8.
Water coming out was 5.8. Is that going to be an issue? If so should I get some PH up to raise the PH going in?

5.8 is low. Yeah water them at 7. Your runoff should be no lower than 6.5.
Okay so circulation within the space IS important, but even more important is fresh air into the space. Leave the door open until you get an exhaust fan going. Plants quickly use up the atmospheric CO2 and can suffocate like humans without oxygen. Also without an exhaust, you're at increased risk for mold.

OK, thanks for your help. I'll post again in a couple weeks to give you an update. Hopefully all turns out good.
By the way Steely Dan is one of the best bands around. Saw your quote.

From the pics, it looks like you’ve watered just at the base of the plant...I’d do thorough watering and then wait for the dry cycle...the roots want to spread in search of water/food so get some of it out there away from the stalk...lookin good though huh?!

My favorite band of all time. My plants like them too :)
I've always liked Steely Dan but I must say I was a little disappointed when I saw the band in concert last year. One of them had just passed I believe

Yeah. It's a huge loss. They were always a studio band to begin with, too perfectionist to tour happily, and the "band" was basically Fagen+Becker, plus a rotating crew of really really good session cats.

I never got to see them but I know people who did. When Walter Becker passed the band just wasn't the same.
However I know two people who saw them before he passed and I was told they were fantastic.

Have any of you heard any of Fagen's solo albums? It's almost like listening to a new Steely Dan recording.
I think they are really good myself.

I have kamakiriad. It's neat. Not in the same way as their golden age stuff, but a good listen. I still think that their masterpieces are mid career.

Last time i seen something like that,, it was a Magnesium Deficiency. I fixed it with Epsom.

Latest posts

Back