Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puffdog

Reaction score
Hey all, your gonna love this one. here it goes.
Been growing these two plants for maybe 2 -3 months now outside.
I transfered them to 10" pots maybe two weeks ago and broght them inside. My light set up isn't that good, I have the wally world for $40 thing going from Brothers Grunt, I have 3 CPF lights at 1600 lumens each in a closet thats 2ft by 3ft. I know what everyone is going to say "Get some real lights!!!". Well wifey and I have had to penny pinch lately so right now it ain't going to happen.
But I have been talking to some Lowes and Home Depot people about some stuff. I'll get to that idea in another thread later. What I want to do is just keep them going. I have 4 clones from them ( you don't want to hear about the first 7) that I took when I brought them inside. Been watering when needed no real nutes yet, gave them a drink of the roots starter food from Schultz that was leftover from cloning but thats it. As you can see in the pics is that the leaves are yellowing on the edges and the tips are brown and curling under but it seems only on the new growth.
I've read the sticky on Nutrient Disorders by Hick but it sounds like I could have anyone from 3 to 6 and maybe more. figured I give you all a look.

Here is a close up picture of the problem.

No I don't know what strain. Been collecting bagseed for 10 to 15-20 years now not a whole lot about a hundred or so. Been keeping them in a black film container and now that I have a house of my own I decided to try my hand at gardening.

Well let me just say Thanks for the beating I'm about to receive
and all the help I can get now and later.

3.jpg

Besides the yellowing and curling under, nice Sativa ya got there. ;)
I have to ask a few questions before any of us can help ya.

Are they well rooted?
How often are you watering?
Do you know the PH of the soil?
Also, if they are well rooted, might be time to start adding 1/4-1/2 strngth ferts.

here is a handy little link I keep bookmarked as well. http://www.marijuana-seeds.net/Thanks-ThankYou.htm

edit:
TBG's Wally world light will work fine for veg. buy ya some time until you get a HPS for flower. You can keep that plant going for a long time under those wally world lights. ;)

Hey Mutt, when they were outside they needed watering about once a week. It,s been hot most of the time. But since I brought them in which was about 10 days ago I've only watered them once. I have two plants one seems fine the other which I shown you isn't. I have them in 10" pots with MG potting soil. When I moved them into the 10" pots I didn't really check out the roots.
I don't know how I could check them now without disturbing them. They were about 4" to 6" from the lights, I have moved them to 12" to 16". And for the PH no idea. Now the funny thing is the 4 clones, 2 from each plant which I have on 24/7 lights with 1 cheap under the counter grow light from wally world for $10.00 that are about 4" away they started to get the same way. Like I said I used the starter food from schultz it's called Schultz Starter Plus Transplanting Solution, it's 5-10-5 and I did use the amount on the directions 3fl oz per gallon of water. Same soil and I watered them with this solution once to start and again when they were a little dry, only using about 1 table spoon each.
Here are some more pics:
Pix 1 is the sick plant
Pix 2 is the other plant that is fine right now
Pix 3 is the 4 clones before they started to get sick
And Pix 4 is what is coming out on the good plant is this a male?

What are your thoughts and also you called my plant a sativa? I seen something that talked about the difference but I can't find it now.
Also please give me your thoughts of my lighting Idea.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5194

hope to hear from ya

00 079 (2).jpg

00 078 (2).jpg

4.jpg

00 093 (2).jpg

Well, I think I figured out one of your problems.
MG soil is pre-fertilized. By adding the shultz transplant stuff, you added more ferts. This is whats causing the problem. Too much fert. I'd flush em with straight water. Plus MG and lower end ferts. have a major tendency of screwing with the PH. There aer a few that veg. fine with MG soil on here. but nothing can beat a good quality organic fert and good non-fert soil.

Soil cloning has a tendency to yellow a little while they are trying to root.
I'd also get an extra Florou over the clones. I know which "grow" Light your talking about. They have basically no lumens, because of the low wattage. but clones don't need much light until rooted. but I'd add at least 1 more.

As far as the light. I'd agree with Will about those lights. They whine, flicker after while, and get hot as a firecracker. Next time you walk by one in a parking lot or something listen. You'll see what he is atlking about.
Most of the time, to save a buck, growers will by a flood light like one e-conolight.com and gut it to make a remote ballast. but for 100-150 at insidesun.com you can get a 250-400 watt unit ready to run with a remote ballast. ;)

here is the type most people gut.
http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HR3H25QZ
They are also easily had at local electrical supply stores and you can pay cash. but call to make sure before going. I know in my area some electrical supply stores only take credit cards and corporate accounts. So call before going. ;)

Also get some PH strips at Wal-mart in the aquarium section. Or get a PH meter. Every grower should have one. Checking PH eliminates a lot of variables when trouble shooting.

Hey thanks Mutt, Flushed them the best I could think of, I hope this is what you mean, I gave them both a good drink of well water yesterday with the hose. They look good today put them outside in some sun for a few hours. Not as wet as I thought they would be. Even with the burnt leaves I see a good amount of new growth. I know it didn't come in one day, I just was so busy looking at the bad that I missed the good. I sniped off most of the burnt and curled leaves. God there is so much to read at this site, my wife keeps popping in askin' are you still read? Everyday I'm on here reading, she can't believe how serious you all are. Don't get me wrong she is a puffa too. Well I love it. Any how back to the plants, I did put another light in with the clones. You said I could keep them going till I get a real light? Well the closet I have these two in is 2ft by 3ft and about 7ft tall, What would be a good wattage to get. I know I saw a thread some where that had the amounts per sq. ft but don't remember where it is it. I was checking out the site you left Insidesun.com thanks alot
Well I'll let you go thanks again.

Flushing=for every gallon of pot size...2-3 gallons of water "slowly". You do this until the water comes out pretty much clear outa the bottom. This litterlayy overwaters the plant for a short time..but gets all of the excess ferts and nasties outa the soil. but if your showing healthy new growth wouldn't do it. seems like the plant and your watering did the trick. ;)

My wife don't smoke weed but loves to tend the garden. I'd recommend getting her involved, she might have the magical green thumb..IMHO its something you can both share together. ;)

50W/sq.ft. HID (HPS or MH) rule of thumb...if florous 3,000 lumens per sq.ft minimum. of course more the better with flos. ;)

Hope I helped ya out.

Thanks again, the wife does good outside but I usually have to come in and save the house plants. It seems that when it's summer she forgets to water the inside stuff.

for two plants? yes definately. A hps light is awesome for budding but very hot...mh will do both, since you gonna bud em get the hps if ya can handle the heat..........

Thanks BWD, It will be a few weeks but when I do I'll get fans also. My set up is in my basement and I noticed last night that I had an extra drier vent on the side of my house. I found it went to a central vac system that we don't use. I'll just run the out going fan to that. In the future I have a medium size shed all most a small barn that has an upstairs that the previous owner tried to grow weed in. It has rusty 4ft flouros hanging and 5 gallon buckets that had all dried up. the man died her when we bought the house we found roaches In a couple small jars and on shelves like he forgot them their. We like to think he is watching over us and accepts.

Meant to send this too. It's the future site of Puffdog Farm.

00 097 (2).jpg

Puff..consider flowering them Outdoors to finish. The season is upon us at the moment. Even if early frost is an issue, getting a few weeks of outdoor bud growth would boost your final outcome.

This corner of the globe will hit the 12 hour day in and around Sept 27/28.

From then, every 7 days is 10 less minutes of day light than 7 days prior....give or take a minute or two.

ie....3 weeks after the 12/12....the cycle is 11.5/12.5...3 weeks later, 11/13.

Ya know...besides the earthiness and fact that flowering outdoors is free...seems to me that theres better results to be had under properly utilized artificial light.

Perhaps that on account of a grower sticking to 12/12 to flower. Where as outdoors theres the gradual loss of day light as the days go by? Or maybe even because when outdoors, a plant is only as good as the amount of direct sunlight it gets...which varies as the earth rotates and revolves out there.

Then theres not being hindered by the elements...bugs...animals....etc. Don't get me wrong...I grow outdoors and indoors...I'm just wondering what part of the natural process is fudged that allows for indoor grows to exceed what would occur outdoors.

In truth I want to keep these two as mothers if it's possible. But I was taking a look today and notice the one that was sick at the top of this thread
(pix 1 & 2) is female. And my other (pix 3 & 4) is too I think but I found this on it also (pix 5). Is this what you call bananas. :eek: Tell me it's not. There is another picture up top. What do you guys think?

1 (2).jpg

00 128 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

00 134 (2).jpg

00 137 (2).jpg

Sorry I should have added this too. Can I still clone?

puffdog said:
In truth I want to keep these two as mothers if it's possible. But I was taking a look today and notice the one that was sick at the top of this thread
(pix 1 & 2) is female. And my other (pix 3 & 4) is too I think but I found this on it also (pix 5). Is this what you call bananas. :eek: Tell me it's not. There is another picture up top. What do you guys think?

I see only female pistills puff.
But if you want "these" as Mothers, you should get them back ubder 24/0 light ASAP, unless you plan to reveg 'after flowering'. (not wise IMHO)
Clones should be taken ASAP, too. The further into flower, the more difficult to root and the longer it takes for them to revert their growth.
Once you have clones rooted and labeled to correspond with each plant, then you can flower out these plants and choose a mother from the clones.

Confirmative on the gender....female...

Take cuttings before going into flowering, especially if you've already cloned a previous mother and are knowing all your clones will be female come flowering stage. Nothing wimpy either...scrawny clones, while they may root just as quick as a beefier cutting...they won't bulk up very much along the way and are prolly best left on the mother.

Its not too late for you to clone PD...if you've never done it before...now is as good a time as any. As in, they may take that extra while to get back into full flower...but as long as they're still alive in 2 weeks time...you've got yourself a successfully rooted clone.

i cloned when my specail lil lady showed pistols three weeks into flowering, and i had even been told i shouldnt.....well i would like to say it cloned just fine and they are now big bushes and under the hps as we speak.

Latest posts

Back