need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Ho Ho N,

Ebay dude, or maybe craigs list. I picked up a great 600 watt Hps, and got a metal halide thrown in for good measure. A 6" vented at both ends hood w/ safety glass all for $75.00 bucks. You gots to hunt around if you is po like me...LOL

Just my $0.02

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool2:

It is probably going to cost at least $500 (minimum) to set up a 4 x 6 space to minimum standards--and that is if you can find good buys and do are a DIYer. IMO, a 4 x 6 space requires a 1000W light. If you do not have that to spend, you really need to consider going smaller with everything. Inadequate light WILL result in light airy buds, plants that stretch, and a poor yield. Lumen for lumen, CFLs use about twice the electricity and put out weaker light. You absolutely want a HPS for flowering. Adequate ventilation is almost as important as your lighting. You are going to need a centrifuge type fan in the 450cfm range to keep things cool, ducting, and a speed controller. I would not even consider a hood that was not air coolable. There are misc things that you need that will add some bucks--timers, thermometers, environmental controls, etc. Consider how much money you have to spend on this project and plan your space accordingly.

Do the 400watt setups use a major ####ton of power to run my electric company charges out the waszoi

Roddy said:
This is one hobby where you just can't skimp on the basics....lights, vent and nutes (even genetics, really)...do it right the first time so you don't have to start over after a likely disappointing harvest. I'd bet most on here have equipment we wished we'd never thrown money away on, I know I do.
I wish i'd saved the initial $280 investment and bought the ballast, hood, and reflector that I have now.
And nutes to boot! Lol. Can't complain though; lesson learned. And I have one beautiful, bodacious female starting to flower. :)

fathead said:
Do the 400watt setups use a major ####ton of power to run my electric company charges out the waszoi

A 400W is good for about 9 sq ft. It uses 400W (actually a bit more). You can figure out how much it will cost you to run if you know how much you pay per kilowatt. You will needs fans. Don't forget to add that wattage. CFLs would cost about twice as much for the same lumens.

However, my original question still stands...how much money do you have to spend on this project?

Well its up in the air on how much me nd the wife have for this grow probly some where's around 400 total with soil smart pots and lights fans

Well its up in the air on how much me nd the wife have for this grow probly some where's around 400 total with soil smart pots and lights fans
and sry I didn't answer your ?sooner

With an initial investment of $400 you're WELL on your way and can easily grow a couple little ladies.

$400 dollars will get you most of the major items you will need if you shop smart. I paid $130 for a 400w setup on amazon, w/hangers, wing type reflector, 1 HPS blub, 1MH blub, timer, and the digital ballast, all with free shipping. I liked it so much I got anouther one so I could veg and flower at the same time. Using the two lights and all of the fans and timers each set up requires, has only raised my elect. bill by $40 a month, which is better than spending $200 plus each month buying smoke

Well im not growing for my personal use.i don't actually smoke anymore growing for mm users. And I have found some good deals on the 400watt set up I will probably start grow the 1st weekend of June. I'll post pics of set up after that thank yall for the help and any other post will be appreciated

IMO, you should absolutely get a reflector that you can air cool. And make sure that you do not build a space too large for you to adequately light. A 400W is good for about 9 sq ft. Be on the lookout for a centrifuge type fan like Vortex, Eclipse, Can, etc. which you are are going to HAVE to have. You might also need some kind of A/C into your space depending on your climate.

I also recommend having your space all set up and dialed in prior to popping any seeds. I see that you say that you are growing for mm users. How many? Keep in mind that a 400W is only going to produce x number of grams--when you are starting out, you will probably only harvest 6-8 ounces every 4 to 5 months---is that going to be enough? I know that that amount would not supply even me.

What strain are you planning on growing?

Ok just one more ?. Say I wanna grow mass lbs can anyone tell me what annd where I can buy the entire set up for decent price. Using soil. How many plants and as for plant type not sure yet open for suggestions and where to get them. I want to stay with the 5gal smart pots though. I know theres 100% full proof but would love info from all

If you're growing for MM users and not for yourself, definitely do not skimp on anything.

the 5 gal pots are perfect size, but How many people are you planning on supplying for with just 1 400 watt setup?

Ok would this be the best bang for buck I think I can drop the money need for thus does anyone have this hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-1000w-Large-Grow-Tent-Kit.asp

fathead said:
Ok just one more ?. Say I wanna grow mass lbs can anyone tell me what annd where I can buy the entire set up for decent price. Using soil. How many plants and as for plant type not sure yet open for suggestions and where to get them. I want to stay with the 5gal smart pots though. I know theres 100% full proof but would love info from all

Every setup and situation is different. I know of no where that you can just go buy a good "package deal". First of all, most are horribly overpriced--if you buy "ala carte" you can save bundles. Some people need humidifiers, some need dehumidifiers, some want CO2, some don,t. some have tall spaces, some have short spaces, some want a separate vegging space (something I highly recommend), etc, etc.

Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft. You want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft and 5000 for flowering. Everything else from there is largely dependent on your climate and where your space is--ventilation, cooling, heating, humidity, etc. We can advise, but we need real specifics. In addition, there is a learning curve to this "hobby". It is going to take several grows before you get a decent handle on things. There is a lot more to it than simply putting a seed into dirt and providing light and food.

We were typing at the same time.

This is my thinking on the HTG package--too expensive.

The tent is only 21 sq ft.
I would highly recommend that you upgrade to an air coolable reflector.
The inline duct fan they are selling with this package is almost useless and will not begin to do the job. For a 1000W, you are going to need something like a 448 cfm centrifuge type exhaust fan and ducting. Something like this:
hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-6in-High-Velocity-Inline-Fan.asp (change the hXXp to http)
The hangers that come with the package are not very good.

Shop around--check out e-bay and Amazon and any other sources you can think of.

Well one of my boys back home just hmu about a grow store back home in going to check it out on the 1 Jun and ill post it here thanks yall

Latest posts

Back