Need to be brought up to date. LED vs HID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericho

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am looking at getting back into growing now that the country I live in has made it legal to do so at home. I think I will be sticking to Autos at the start just for convenience and familiarity. I was looking at a 120x120x200 cm tent which should be an ok size, My previous grow was done in a 100x100x200 and I could just about get 3 in there.

I grew using a 600w HPS cool tube which worked out pretty good, luckily our electricity here is not so expensive.

When it comes to set up, I am starting from scratch. I think the tent size I want will work fine for me so now I am looking into the lights and vents. I will be growing in soil not hydro because again, its what I am familiar with at the moment, need to relearn everything I knew 10 years ago and get updated.

With the light and venting set up I had previously I could get the lights pretty close (my ventilation was well over what I needed).

So I guess my question is, have LED progressed enough from where they were when I used to grow to where the price is now justifiable for the reduction in running cost and production? Should I be looking into LEDs or stick to the HID lamps considering the cheaper electricity here.

Jericho , good questions for me too , I am so far behind in all the new lighting technologies

my flower room was 4 cool tubes with 600 HPS

I see other growers rocking it with leds which are cooler and use less electricity

hopefully some of the lighting experts here will chime in

Yes. But HPS are still usable, I still use a 600 watt HPS, but my newer setups are LED.

Bubba

Have you any links to your current set up I could check out? I think I will need to do a fair amount of reading to catch up on all the new specs and tech.

Look at Cocoforcannabis.com. Tremendous amount of info on lights there, along with reviews and measurements and comparisons of various lights.

Bubba

I bought the photontek 600 for 1 tent and the rest are using CMH...the halides are far different that the old fat buggers, kills the spectrum if you have the right lamp...

I bought the photontek 600 for 1 tent and the rest are using CMH...the halides are far different that the old fat buggers, kills the spectrum if you have the right lamp...

hows the heat on the CMH in the tent?

hey kev, so far I love it...I'm at the tail end of a full 12 week growing session using it and the plants are blowing up, it does seem to take longer to bulk up the trichs but that's not as important as the smoke...they seem to blow up faster at the end of the growing term and they get frosty overnight...I've tried to load a video of my garden but the site wont allow me to, says file is too large...yeah, it twern't cheap but if it does it's job I'm fine with that...

The Photontek light is a Cadillac of lights. Extremely high end, so a little more expensive.

Bubba

Hi All.

I am looking at getting back into growing now that the country I live in has made it legal to do so at home. I think I will be sticking to Autos at the start just for convenience and familiarity. I was looking at a 120x120x200 cm tent which should be an ok size, My previous grow was done in a 100x100x200 and I could just about get 3 in there.

I grew using a 600w HPS cool tube which worked out pretty good, luckily our electricity here is not so expensive.

When it comes to set up, I am starting from scratch. I think the tent size I want will work fine for me so now I am looking into the lights and vents. I will be growing in soil not hydro because again, its what I am familiar with at the moment, need to relearn everything I knew 10 years ago and get updated.

With the light and venting set up I had previously I could get the lights pretty close (my ventilation was well over what I needed).

So I guess my question is, have LED progressed enough from where they were when I used to grow to where the price is now justifiable for the reduction in running cost and production? Should I be looking into LEDs or stick to the HID lamps considering the cheaper electricity here.
I've shopped and bought almost all the big name lighting manufacturers. Black Dog, California lightworks, gavita, Mars. HLG, Valpa parspectra. And others. I found Growraft ChilLED Tech out of Washington state. They're hand made. 3 years warranty America made customers service is amazing and the lights are the best I've seen. They have independent tests to prove it as well they only heat up to 1200 btu in full power of 500 watts. My Mars hydro are 160 and get 10 times hotter. If you're serious contact Leland at ChilLEDtech.

Only thing im confused about is it ask you to choose an option for Spectrum for Flower or Vegg. Does that mean i have to buy both? If so that could get real expensive.

$1020 bucks for a 600 watt 4x4 , kinda pricey eh

a 600w quantum digital adjustable ballast and a horticultural HPS bulb for $190 , I could pay a lot of electrical bills before I got to a thousand dollars

https://growershouse.com/catalog/pr...8082&msclkid=906de097ecc315783632814b84efb152

Only thing im confused about is it ask you to choose an option for Spectrum for Flower or Vegg. Does that mean i have to buy both? If so that could get real expensive.
I use the X3-500 for veg and flower and never had any problems...I grow monsters

Latest posts

Back