Need to Stealth my window vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imho I would locate your spot ,put a pencil mark on the spot . Find a way to measure off of the window and locate that dot outside and see if you have any thing in the way. Go inside take a key hole saw go horizontal left to right ( within 4 ") to see if you are in between the studs. Once you are clear left to right use a 4 inch hole saw and go thru your sheet rock. Go thru your sheetrock with the drill on reverse to prevent the holesaw not catching and wanderng off. You can cut thru sheet rock in reverse with a holesaw .Keep the drill squared and touch the inside of the sheathing and transfer that center hole to said sheathing . Use a 1/4 carbide drill bit with a pistol hammer drill. With a 1/4 carbide drill thru your sheathing & brick. Now you have a 1/4 hole thru your brick .Take your 4 inch hole saw and put in in that hole. Take a sharpie and outline the hole saw with it. Drill on or more the outside of the hole you just drew.Drill around the circumference many times. You may need to chip away some so the 4 inch fits. Go back in and finish drilling the sheathing . You are almost better with a cordless and go intermittent with said drill.A 4 inch holesaw wants to get away from you so be carefull. I use angle drills with a clutch . Once thru you should be aligned and you can silcone it in. You can buy a 4 inch plastic donut which puts a finished look to the inside. If you were to use a 4 Inch masonery core bit to drill you would loosen up said brick.

Imho I would locate your spot ,put a pencil mark on the spot . Find a way to measure off of the window and locate that dot outside and see if you have any thing in the way. Go inside take a key hole saw go horizontal left to right ( within 4 ") to see if you are in between the studs. Once you are clear left to right use a 4 inch hole saw and go thru your sheet rock. Go thru your sheetrock with the drill on reverse to prevent the holesaw not catching and wanderng off. You can cut thru sheet rock in reverse with a holesaw .Keep the drill squared and touch the inside of the sheathing and transfer that center hole to said sheathing . Use a 1/4 carbide drill bit with a pistol hammer drill. With a 1/4 carbide drill thru your sheathing & brick. Now you have a 1/4 hole thru your brick .Take your 4 inch hole saw and put in in that hole. Take a sharpie and outline the hole saw with it. Drill on or more the outside of the hole you just drew.Drill around the circumference many times. You may need to chip away some so the 4 inch fits. Go back in and finish drilling the sheathing . You are almost better with a cordless and go intermittent with said drill.A 4 inch holesaw wants to get away from you so be carefull. I use angle drills with a clutch . Once thru you should be aligned and you can silcone it in. You can buy a 4 inch plastic donut which puts a finished look to the inside. If you were to use a 4 Inch masonery core bit to drill you would loosen up said brick.
Wow that’s great directions. Thanks for taking the time banging it out on the keyboard. I can understand it perfectly. I just copied and printed it in case I end up going that way. Plus I remembered that I know a retired brick guy that also grows weed and loves my thorough weed reviews on his product. He doesn’t smoke but one of his plants were a dandy last year to smoke. I told him I needed to evaluate that one again. 😁 he gave me six bags to sample for him last season. I’m thinking I could get his help with putting that hole in the masonry part If I went that route and the rest I think would be easy peasy
Ive been thinking tho after chatting with everyone that going thru the floor to my crawlspace and connecting to one of the vents under the house may be a better idea. I will sleep on it. Perhaps work on it all night in my dreams like I sometimes do. 😜

Why not carbon filter it and let it dump back in the house? More o2 for you. 😜

Thanks! You just screwed up a Kodiak moment!
Now stop you
giphy.gif

I was thinking the same thing about the filter(not the o2) but heat and humidity can be a problem when the hose is not vented out of the room. I grow in my basement and it is ok for me to not vent outside during the colder months but in the heat of summer, my basement grow room gets pretty warm unless I vent outside. I suspect a first or second floor grow would have a worse heat problem.

It is easier to repair a hole in the ceiling than in the floor when you need to. And if you vent thru the attic you get odor escaping up where there is more air flow and away from people/neighbors. Try it without a carbon filter 1st and if the smell is too much it is easy enough to install one. Just my two cents.

So I slept on it thought that maybe the hole in the wall additional dryer vent was the way I wanted to go. I thought like @kevinn said about fixing a floor hole opposed to ceiling or wall. So I brought the subject up this morning and got a quick “I don’t want to put a hole in our house” answer which doesn’t mean no actually just his freaked out first response. hes ok with venting out the window but now that I’ve thought about it for so long I really don’t want Thant vent hose look going on in the inside of the window, even in the laundry room. So now I’m thinking about going up in the attic and attach to the attic vent on that same wall now. In fact, it would be much easier just cutting Sheetrock. Until then I don’t mind that the laundry room smells a little like weed when you walk by 😁

My whole shop smells like weed. I vent the tent outside, but there are a "few" non-tent plants. I could fix it, it's not that difficult. A few 2X4's, some dry wall, a door and a little extra duct work. Probably complete it in a weekend.

I was going to do it, had already made a sketch, and even started pricing the materials. Then my daughter came home from college and came out to the shop to use my gym and not put anything away when she was finished. I love my daughter, but she refuses to pick up after herself when she's here.

When she came in she she stopped suddenly and said, "I was going to work out, but I don't want to smell like pot". Then she went back to the house. It was right then that I decided I really like the smell of weed :p

The smell is only from my veg tent so to me it really doesn’t smell like flower weed and I’m alway playing with herbs making smudge spray and tincture so it’s likely that my house smells like rosemary and sage most of the time anyway. I don’t mind the smell right now. If he brings up the smell again, I will suggest going up thru the attic. I really don’t want a junky window filled with vent hose

Funny you say that .I was at a friend who I help setup 2 tents. He had started a free seed I got a photo. bubble gum Now the girl is beautiful all purple buds .A strong smell. It is in a tent with a 6 in ac infinity fan connected to a carbon filter . His wife and MIL can not smell a thing and they have noses like blood hounds.

I really think you're overthinking this. Why fk up a ceiling or floor or wall that you may need to fix one day when you can just vent thru the window with a portable a/c vent that no one is going to know why or care why you have it!?!? Worst case, replace your window screens with blackout screens.

"Do you have a portable a/c in your laundry room?"

"Yeah"

"Why"

"It gets hot af in there"

"Leave the door open"

"The dryer drowns out the TV"

"Yeah... Makes sense"

"You don't do laundry everyday lol"

"Yeah .. we don't want the cats to get into the detergent again lol"

Last edited:
I really think you're overthinking this. Why fk up a ceiling or floor or wall that you may need to fix one day when you can just vent thru the window with a portable a/c vent that no one is going to know why or care why you have it!?!? Worst case, replace your window screens with blackout screens.

"Do you have a portable a/c in your laundry room?"

"Yeah"

"Why"

"It gets hot af in there"

"Leave the door open"

"The dryer drowns out the TV"

"Yeah... Makes sense"
in the winter is the problem

Someone commented earlier about moisture going into the attic and mold. That should be considered as well. Weighing the pros and cons so you don’t become a con can create quite the con-undrum…

If it were me, I would probably just try a carbon filter and use a window AC unit in the summer to remove moisture and heat. Granted, this is after all the excellent solutions from the bee hive mind of the forum. Occam’s razor for the win.

So I slept on it thought that maybe the hole in the wall additional dryer vent was the way I wanted to go. I thought like @kevinn said about fixing a floor hole opposed to ceiling or wall. So I brought the subject up this morning and got a quick “I don’t want to put a hole in our house” answer which doesn’t mean no actually just his freaked out first response. hes ok with venting out the window but now that I’ve thought about it for so long I really don’t want Thant vent hose look going on in the inside of the window, even in the laundry room. So now I’m thinking about going up in the attic and attach to the attic vent on that same wall now. In fact, it would be much easier just cutting Sheetrock. Until then I don’t mind that the laundry room smells a little like weed when you walk by 😁
1651101163619.png

in the winter is the problem
"Yeah... We just don't want keep putting up the weather strip if we take it down"

Or

"It heats it too. There's nothing worse than going to get a pair of socks out the dryer in bare feet on a cold floor lol"

I have a carbon filter on my other tent but can smell it when I pass the window outside it is attached to. Can’t imagine not smelling it venting in the room.

If it were me, I would probably just try a carbon filter and use a window AC unit in the summer to remove moisture and heat. Granted, this is after all the excellent solutions from the bee hive mind of the forum. Occam’s razor for the win.
The room has AC and heat just looking to aim the stink outside living area. I know the beehive came up with plenty to choose from this time 😊

Latest posts

Back