New at cloning, any advice would be appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grow fig

Attachments

• 20190812214403.jpg
    20190812214403.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 31
Hey NENugs420, I was looking at the steps you did when you took these clones. And there is one step that is very important that you missed. And I am shocked nobody else mentioned this. And that is because a lot of people do not do it. And that is why they get poor results. You stated that you took the clone and put it into water that's cool. But did you know that that cut end will still seal it self off some even though it is in water ? So what you should do is before you dip it in the clonex , cut that end again and put it right into the clonex. Also to me the way you are doing it is o.k. that's how I started. But I was only getting about half to root. Also do not fall for that stuff that one guy is trying to sell you. That's cool and all but that's a lot of work and money. Get yourself or make yourself a areo cloner. Easy as pie. I use five of them. The first one I bought holds fifty clones. Then I made the other four, which hold twenty five each. This is easy and fast. I do not use clonex or anything else anymore. Put water in the cloner so it covers the pump, take the clones, install into cloner. Check the water level every few days. And that's it. In seven days I start getting roots and in ten days most will have roots, in fourteen days they will all have roots. Anyway good luck with what ever you do. But remember clip that end again before you dip it in the clonex. LATER..................................
Hi , HW yes good spot defiantly must cut again , and a razor blade rather than scissors , scissors will crush the end and cause it to seal , another small point the stems must be loose in the rockwool so when you push a hole it must be bigger than the stem so oxygen can get to the stem, by doing this it also stops water logging

The cut end doesn't exactly seal itself off, it gets an air embolism and is unable to uptake any water. For this reason, many people will make their final cut underwater. If this has happened, you will know it right away as the cuts will wilt.

Interestingly, I have better luck if I do not have space around the cutting. I generally use rapid rooters and slice them open to put the cutting in and then put the rapid rooter into the tray that holds them, making sure the growing material surrounds the stem well. There are many different types of cloning methods. Different methods work for different people.

Do not worry if you do not get roots quickly. It is not unusual at all for cuts to take 7-10 days or even 2 weeks to root. If they are into flowering, they take longer. If they look healthy, just be patient. Generally once roots start growing, you will see new growth on the clone. Good luck. The ability to successfully clone is a great skill to have!

Hi , HW yes good spot defiantly must cut again , and a razor blade rather than scissors , scissors will crush the end and cause it to seal , another small point the stems must be loose in the rockwool so when you push a hole it must be bigger than the stem so oxygen can get to the stem, by doing this it also stops water logging
I used a brand new scalpel

The cut end doesn't exactly seal itself off, it gets an air embolism and is unable to uptake any water. For this reason, many people will make their final cut underwater. If this has happened, you will know it right away as the cuts will wilt.

Interestingly, I have better luck if I do not have space around the cutting. I generally use rapid rooters and slice them open to put the cutting in and then put the rapid rooter into the tray that holds them, making sure the growing material surrounds the stem well. There are many different types of cloning methods. Different methods work for different people.

Do not worry if you do not get roots quickly. It is not unusual at all for cuts to take 7-10 days or even 2 weeks to root. If they are into flowering, they take longer. If they look healthy, just be patient. Generally once roots start growing, you will see new growth on the clone. Good luck. The ability to successfully clone is a great skill to have!

I have another experienced drowse that recommended getting an easy cloner that sprays at the bottom of the clone. What are you guys thoughts on these units?

I always had trouble with the sprayers clogging up and the pump getting the water too hot. I preferred a bubble cloner. You might want to check them out. If you are at all handy, you can DIY one up in no time. You can use almost any kind of bucket or tote. There must be dozens of YouTube videos on building a bubble cloner.

However, if you want to try an aero cloner, give it a go. If the sprayers clog and the water gets too hot, you can turn it into a bubble cloner quite easy. If you buy one, get one with a humidity dome.

I encourage you to read the reviews on any product you are contemplating. Actual users (make sure they are verified buyers) give the best insight into how well a product works. Any questions, come on back here and people can help you.

I have another experienced drowse that recommended getting an easy cloner that sprays at the bottom of the clone. What are you guys thoughts on these units?
I clone and grow with areo. And I have had maybe two clogged sprayers in all these years and never had a heat issue.
but it's all up to you, whatever floats your boat bro.........................

I clone and grow with areo. And I have had maybe two clogged sprayers in all these years and never had a heat issue.
but it's all up to you, whatever floats your boat bro.........................
I pulled the trigger on the 32site easy cloner, it is en route. An acquaintance from the bar I work at has been growing for a long time said he has excellent results with his and has been using it for a long time so I went for it.

I pulled the trigger on the 32site easy cloner, it is en route. An acquaintance from the bar I work at has been growing for a long time said he has excellent results with his and has been using it for a long time so I went for it.
Right on bro. It is so easy, you will like it. Good luck......................................................................................................

Two things to add here:
Rockwool should be preconditioned before use by soaking it in water and ph adjusting the soaking solution to about 6.5 before use. Rockwool as purchased has an elevated pH. It is not ideal. Shake the cubes out afterwards to get excess water off.
The other thing is that if you're going to dip the shoots in anything immediately after cut, the best solution imvho is actually dip n grow diluted to about half the strength it recommends on the bottle, and leaving the cut in it for a few minutes. It absorbs well and has fungicidal properties.
I've never had comparable results with gels. And if you pre soak in water and then go to a gel, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot in terms of absorption. An already-wet sponge doesn't hold much soap ;)

Latest posts

Back