New England (outdoor grow) in the woods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fataqui

Reaction score
Hi all

Last week I was feeling a little bored so I decided to go and play in the woods, (he he!) Anyhow... after a few days of searching I found the perfect spot for this years outdoor garden. So, yesterday I played like I was a farmer, (he he!) I spent the day tilling my garden. I replaced 24 inches of top-soil with my own mix. I have (6) rows with (3) plants spots in each row. It's roughly (18) feet by (7) feet. Each seedling will be placed (22) inches on center. Today, I placed (18) seeds in the ground. I was going to germinate at home but this week in New England seems to be just perfect for letting nature take care of germinating. The forecast here is for rain all the way through Sunday. So (5) days of rain will be just right for my little babies to pop-out and make the world a much better place, (he he!) So come back here on June 1st, 2011 for some pictures of my babies...

Plants...

Lambs Bread / Breath (Dutch Passion)
Panama Red (RMS)
Humboldt County Special #8 (California M.G.C.)
Malawi Gold (High Life Seed)

Mix...

2 yards of organic garden soil
Lone Pine Organics Earth Worm Castings (12) pounds
Dr. Earth - Bat Guano (4) pounds
Green Sense - epson salt/magnesium sulfate (4) pounds
Espoma Bone Meal (6) pounds
Dolomite Lime [growmore] (4) pounds
Fish Heads (blue fish, sun dried and grounded) (4) pounds
Aero-Soil Perlite (20) pounds
Azomite (2) pounds

05/19/2011

Today was really bad, so much firkin rain. All day long sitting in my office at work I was thinking about my babies, (he he!) After work I took a couple bags of last years leaves and covered the entire grow area. My hope is that I can least stop the rain from over saturating my grow area. But really, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I used a soil auger, and only (3 or 4) inches of the top soil was saturated, so I think everything will be okay.

I included a picture looking out from my garden... isn't pretty there

05/20/2011

Today after work, I went and removed all of the wet leaves, and also spent some time making my plant (stem) supports. It really important when you grow from a seedling that you support your plants (stem). And that's because for the first (4) weeks of your plants life it is most vulnerable to falling over due to many different reasons. This is especially important when growing outdoors from a seedling. The wind, the rain, and even heavy fog can make a plant fall over. Also by keeping the stem as stationary as you can, you will help the plant focuses more of it energy on it's root development. Other than that... the weather was really awesome here. The sun finally broke through this afternoon, and in just (4) hours it seemed like my grow area was beginning to dry out. Well, I will be out of town for the next (4) days, so I won't be posting anything until I get back. Have fun...

05/23/2011

Wow, being away for just (3) days has been so crazy for me. Yeah, I probably wouldn't have felt that way if my babies had popped up before I left, but seeing none of them had, I was constantly worried about them. Then last night was really bad because the temperature dropped to (48°F) and the dew-point was (42°F). Talk about stressing out 600 miles from home, (he he!) Anyhow, when I got home this afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to find so many of my babies smiling at the world. Yes, I am happy report that all (18) of my babies have come to life, (happy me!) In fact the the Lambs Bread, Panama Red, and the Humboldt C.S. 8 have come roaring to life, (wonderful!) On the other hand, all the Malawi Gold seem to be struggling. Yes, all of them have also come to life, but they seem to be having a hard time dealing with the weather. And really, I do understand that, seeing we haven't had any sun but maybe (6) hours on Saturday. And I don't believe they had even popped up then. As for the other 3 (L.B., P.R., H.C.S.8) they all seem like they love their environment, because even without that much sun they are quite happy.

06/01/2011

It's been (2) weeks since I put the seeds in the ground and all (18) plants except (1) are doing really well. The (1) that isn't doing well, is almost dead, but I am hoping I can bring it back to life. Really I hate losing any of my babies, (he he!) anyhow... today was the first day I watered my plants. I gave each plant a liquid mixture of 16-16-16. Approximately (1) cup each!

Pictures from 06/01/2011

Other notes....

1. I have not watered any of plants to date, and I don't plan on watering them for (10) more days! (ground is still over saturated)
2. did a soil temperature test today... (active nutrient heating test)
2A. surface temperature was (66°F)
2B. at a depth of two inches, the soil temperature was (70°F)
2C. at a depth of six inches the soil temperature was (73°F)
2D. at a depth of twelve inches the soil temperature was (77°F)
3. added (stem) supports to all the plants but the Malawi Gold strand, as they are not even close to needing them...

I have attached (8) pictures.... I will talk about each picture in a later post, sorry, I am to sleepy right now!

Smile...

Sonia

05192011.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Those seem like some long flwering girls for your location.... GL hopefully they finish for ya....

Are you legal? If you are doing a grow in the woods and want to keep it secret, you should try and make your garden not look like a garden. Rather than tilling a large garden spot, you should plant each plant in an individual hole that you have amended the soil. And have the plants in a random fashion, not rows. This is going to scream to anyone flying over it that it is a mj garden. I also believe that 5 days of rain in very detrimental to seed germination and 22" on center far too close together.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Are you legal? If you are doing a grow in the woods and want to keep it secret, you should try and make your garden not look like a garden. Rather than tilling a large garden spot, you should plant each plant in an individual hole that you have amended the soil. And have the plants in a random fashion, not rows. This is going to scream to anyone flying over it that it is a mj garden. I also believe that 5 days of rain in very detrimental to seed germination and 22" on center far too close together.

Hi

It doesn't look like a garden at all, you could be standing (5) feet in front of it and not know it's there. I grow little gardens (10 to 20) plants in that and another local state forest every year. And I haven't ever had one my gardens raided or lost a single plant. I take a lot time picking my grow areas, they are naturally protected by the enviroment I plant them in... ie; thick pricker bushes, etc.... Seriously, if you went with me, you would probably turn around because you would be like... screw that, I ain't getting all cut up, (he he!) As for your other comments, (22) inches for the type of plants I am growing is not to close at all. I know how these strands grow in my neck of the woods. Yes, you are right (5) days of constant rain wouldn't be very healthy for any seed germination, but we are not talking about (5) days of continuous rain. The weather forecast said that for those next (5) days there would be some rain showers on each of those days, not another so-called Noah event, (he he!)

Mix...

Azomite (2) pounds

:headbang2::farm:
I'm subscribed as well :)
Nice lineup too :fly:

fataqui said:
Hi all

Mix...

Azomite (2) pounds

:holysheep: I am having Cooking/heating problems with just 50lbs of mix and not anywhere near the nutes you have added in comparison!!

I bet your seeds are very well done! I am sure that mix needs to Cook/sit for a while before you use it. I would check it! prob 130 degrees just a couple inches down. I hope it works well for you but 5 days of rain was not good for your seeds. You may want to start them indoors first. Well good luck!;)

fataqui said:
Hi

It doesn't look like a garden at all, you could be standing (5) feet in front of it and not know it's there. I grow little gardens (10 to 20) plants in that and another local state forest every year. And I haven't ever had one my gardens raided or lost a single plant. I take a lot time picking my grow areas, they are naturally protected by the enviroment I plant them in... ie; thick pricker bushes, etc.... Seriously, if you went with me, you would probably turn around because you would be like... screw that, I ain't getting all cut up, (he he!) As for your other comments, (22) inches for the type of plants I am growing is not to close at all. I know how these strands grow in my neck of the woods. Yes, you are right (5) days of constant rain wouldn't be very healthy for any seed germination, but we are not talking about (5) days of continuous rain. The weather forecast said that for those next (5) days there would be some rain showers on each of those days, not another so-called Noah event, (he he!)

When these come up all planted nice and neat in rows and only 22" apart, they ARE going to be recognizable as a garden and it will be very distinctive from overhead. What strain is it that you can put only 22" apart outside?

The Hemp Goddess said:
When these come up all planted nice and neat in rows and only 22" apart, they ARE going to be recognizable as a garden and it will be very distinctive from overhead. What strain is it that you can put only 22" apart outside?

Honestly, I do understand what you are saying, but really I am not concern with that. Yes, if I lived in California, Oregon, or some other place where outdoor marijuana growing is much more prevalent then I would worry about that, but not here, and that's simply because I know they don't do fly-over searches here. As for your other question, I already answered it, so I won't go over that again. But I will further add... outdoor plants grow differently, depending on the environment they are grown in, so again where I live, (22) inches is enough room for all the plants I am growing.

Everystate in the US does fly overs so if you didn't plan for cover from air you stand a good chance of loosing your crop

ozzydiodude said:
Everystate in the US does fly overs so if you didn't plan for cover from air you stand a good chance of loosing your crop

Thank you for your concern, but this topic is getting a little old. As I said before, I haven't ever had ANY trouble with any of my outdoor gardens, so while all your comments are truly appreciated those things do not concern me. Really, the only things that I am concern about is the weather and my nutrients may getting out of hand. Also I am a little superstitious, so when people start talking about bad things happening, I believe they will, so please stop all that, thanks...

Great start brother. I see nothing but nice big plants coming your way. Some people will always try to pic apart your grow and bring out all the little flaws but I think your lookin good. Not everybody can have the "perfect" grow.

I'm kinda' of the school,.."if it ain't broke..don't try to fix it"... ;)
sooo if it's working for "you" it's golden. :)
BUT....I also think it wise to at least.... consider 'constructive' criticism..;) I've been growing OD in the middle of the country, for about 30 years, 25 of those were 100% guerrilla. I find 4 foot centers (48") "too" close in about every scenario.
If you notice, there is absolutely no access to the interior portion of this patch, making it pretty difficult to properly care for them.

DSC02414.JPG

Hick said:
I'm kinda' of the school,.."if it ain't broke..don't try to fix it"... ;)
sooo if it's working for "you" it's golden. :)
BUT....I also think it wise to at least.... consider 'constructive' criticism..;) I've been growing OD in the middle of the country, for about 30 years, 25 of those were 100% guerrilla. I find 4 foot centers (48") "too" close in about every scenario.
If you notice, there is absolutely no access to the interior portion of this patch, making it pretty difficult to properly care for them.
Wow... those are some wonderful plants! Thanks for sharing the picture with me. And yeah... I am sort of like you, if it works leave it alone. But that's not to say that I don't value other peoples opinions because I do. It's just in this case (where I live) that's all the area I really need.

Pictures from 06/01/2011 - (14) day from seedling...

Have fun...

Sonia

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Look very well indeed if they survive the critters and pests i think you will be well rewarded sonia.
T4

Latest posts

Back