New grow set-up Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie1981

Reaction score
Hi I am starting my first grow and I want it to work out. I am looking to grow 6lbs+ I have done a ton of research and I just want to know if my little grow will work or if I forgot something.

I have a large space indoors which is separated from the main living area. I want to grow 6 cheese feminized plants found here.

hXXp://www.amsterdammarijuanaseeds....ffilid=324213563450&currency=49&product_id=66

I have done my research and know that those seeds produce a pungent plant so a carbon filter is needed. Will this 6" inline fan carbon filter combo do the trick as a stand-alone unit not as part of a exhaust system?

hXXp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZJNW3Q/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1300756983&sr=8-1

I am pretty sure the grow light is sufficient, but I would appreciate any comments. It is the pro-grow 260w led grow light found here.

hXXp://www.hydroponicshut.com/pro-grow-260-watt-led-grow-light.html

I am going to use fox farm ocean forest potting soil in 5 gallon smart pots.

I am also going to use formula flora grow and bloom combo pack fertilizer found here.

hXXp://www.formulaflora.com/home.php?bid=4&partner=21

The soil should have enough nutrients on its own to get through the veg state.

I am going to build a box around the plants and line it with mylar.

Is there anything I am leaving out or forgetting which is necessary for a good grow? This is my first and I would like it to be successful

If you took every single person in the world that has ever grown marijuana and combined all of their growing knowledge together into one person's brain and made them a superhuman marijuana grower, there is still a 0% chance you will grow 6+ lbs with your setup. The light you are talking about only puts out 13,400 lumens and is advertized as being comprable to a 600 watt HPS. No way you will ever get even 25% of that goal with your light. That is also why you are not getting many responses. People around here view growing as a hobby and tend to dislike those that grow strictly for weight and profit. No one needs 6+ pounds so people realize you are growing for profit. Now if you are running a dispensary or you are a provider it would make sense, otherwise there is no reason to need to grow 6+ pounds.

(PS-links to other sites are not allowed)

I wasn't trying to be rude or knock you down or anything, just saying whats up. Welcome to the site, there is a LOT to learn from this place I hope you like it.

-SSF-

what size is your room? you're ways away from getting 6lbs or even a 1/4lbs for that matter, with that led i'll be surprised if you got 2oz, what size is the room you intend to grow???

You wont even get six ounces with that light. If your growing six plants that would mean you are expecting to grow six, one pound plants under a 260 watt led light? keep researching my friend.

Ok, trying to be kind here.
A damn good grower will get maybe 1 1/2 g per W HPS, I dont even think about my g/W ratio because I know it would depress me but lets say you manage 1g/w.
Where I come from, there are 28g per O and 16 O per LB, you want 6 so the maths is 2688W HPS

Good luck dude

Why do you think you need 6 lbs:eek: ?

As others have mentioned, your plan is unrealistic. I would suggest that you need a bunch more "research" and study before you start buying equipment...

You should read through the archives on this site.
Pay special attention to the ones that have the words BUSTED, ARRESTED or RAIDED in the title.
Even if you bought all the equipment you needed to grow 6 lbs. It would be a very noticeable leap in your power consumption. They will probably come knockin'.
Besides talkin' about it and sellin' it, it's how most people get caught.

Welcome to MP, newbie1981. The answers you've received so far are accurate in what your expectations should be, given the equipment you have or intend to use.

If I could advise you on your least expensive, least dangerous path to follow, it would be to wait until you understand more about what is needed before growing such a large crop.

The light you have will work for about a single plant and cover about 4 square feet for VEGGING ONLY. It won't do squat for flowering when compared to what a HPS will do for you.

High power LEDs are a waste of money. I use 28 watt LEDs to veg and they do fine with one light covering about 4 square feet. A LED's light throw, (the distance from the bulb that the light is effective for growing MJ), doesn't change with more bulbs, it just lights the same amount of area better... 4 square feet of area at no more than 18 inches from the plant canopy.

For beginners at growing weed, I always suggest slowing down and growing only a single plant first. Learn topping, LST, HST and the management of your nutrients and grow area first. That will give you one plant to traumatize and kill, instead of 2 or more. You will beat-up the first try pretty good. I've never heard of a first-time grower who had a perfect crop with their first grow.

You have to pass through the "Learning Curve" of growing first, and believe me, it's a hell of a curve.

As far as who grows what for who or how much, its no one else's business what you do. I believe, IMHO, that the silent majority of growers here grow and sell weed. It might be to only friends or family, or it might be to a group of people who benefit from its medical value, but don't live in a MMJ area. As long as you sell it for a reasonable price and don't just mimic the Cartels with the price gouging per/oz of weed at street level, all the people who smoke weed and can't grow have to buy it somewhere. They can buy it from you or me, or they can buy it from some Cartel who charges 4 times as much. Do what you want and be careful. Don't be a problem to yourself either.

Please slow down and learn the craft first. You're rushing into something that you've already shown you're not ready to do.

Don't let any of the anti-MJ selling ball-busters ruin your day man. Contrary to popular opinion, IMHO, they are the minority here on this site. Like I said, it's your business, not theirs. Just use your head and don't flap the lips about it here. TALKING about selling here is an absolute no-no, and will get you busted by the MODs in a NY minute.

And NO, I'm not debating the issue with anyone. What I've said is my opinion and I don't give a rats butt if anyone likes it or not, so don't waste your time or mine in busting my balls either.

How could anybody bust your balls for that Stoney? Its all true.

Why would they advertise a light that puts out 13,400 lumens as comparable to a 600w hps that puts out 80-90,000 lumens? That's just silly...

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Why would they advertise a light that puts out 13,400 lumens as comparable to a 600w hps that puts out 80-90,000 lumens? That's just silly...

Calculating the Plant-Usable-Lumens put out by a specific LED has an equation about a mile long. Not saying the one quoted isn't correct, but I would be leery of lumen quotes with LEDs.

I use a 28 watt LED at 4 inches above the plant canopy and the plants have grown the same height as when I grew the same strain under a 430 watt HPS. The differences are that the stems aren't as large. About 75%. Other than that, the LED plants seem to be more uniform in thier over-all health and vegetative growth.

So, the 28 watt LED is actually performing as well as a 430 watt HPS.

StoneyBud said:
Calculating the Plant-Usable-Lumens put out by a specific LED has an equation about a mile long. Not saying the one quoted isn't correct, but I would be leery of lumen quotes with LEDs.

I use a 28 watt LED at 4 inches above the plant canopy and the plants have grown the same height as when I grew the same strain under a 430 watt HPS. The differences are that the stems aren't as large. About 75%. Other than that, the LED plants seem to be more uniform in thier over-all health and vegetative growth.

So, the 28 watt LED is actually performing as well as a 430 watt HPS.

Have been thinking of getting one comparable to what you quoted but in magenta for budding and use it for body lighting...do you think this would be beneficial? I am currently using (and would continue to use along with any light I might add) a 400 w HPS in vert style along with my 1000w HPS in hood and a 400w MH.

Roddy said:
Have been thinking of getting one comparable to what you quoted but in magenta for budding and use it for body lighting...do you think this would be beneficial? I am currently using (and would continue to use along with any light I might add) a 400 w HPS in vert style along with my 1000w HPS in hood and a 400w MH.

I haven't gotten into my testing of the flowering capibilities of LEDs yet.

I can't answer your question. Sorry.

Dr. Manny Bowles said:

I think the answer is as Stoney said, "useable" lumens.
Remember the quite in JFK, "Astro physics can prove an elephant can hang from a cliff holding a daisy by its tail" The question is, would you believe it?

There is also the obvious answer that often escapes peope, something I have become more aware of as I have got older and more cynical and that is "ALL MARKETING IS A DISTORTION OF THE TRUTH" I dont want to say lies or deciet, that would be too negative.
I dont know about the US but here in the UK, you can make ANY claim you like about a product ONLINE. The law changes next month, but until then, I can claim black paint is white online and no one can claim I was being misleading.
The answer is, speak to people who know, user groups, forums etc, NEVER accept a manufacturers claims unless you can independantly verify them.
I am stunned you live in a country built on marketing blurb (lies) and you dont know this!!!
I am pretty sure Stoney is the expert on LED's around here, I hope I am not doing someone else a misjustice by saying that, but I would listen to the guy.
JMHO
Stay frosty guys.
W

Latest posts

Back