New grower checklist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iams

Off the leash!
Reaction score
For us new growers I thought a check list might be a good thing for other new growers like myself should have. I think this would be helpful for new growers and also allow the more advanced growers help to hone in on problems.

Thru MP I have learned way more than I thought I would, so that check list is listed here. please feel free to add to my list as needed so that new growers like myself can benifit from the knowledge base.

Type of grow. ( indoor, outdoor, greenhouse, tent..ect)

Your medium..( soil, soiless, on soils with or without nutes, hydro...ect)

Your lighting with wattage and weather are not they are air cooled... ( flours, hid, mh, hps..ect)

Square footage of grow area...(3x3x5, 4x4x6,tent, or 10x10 room sized)

The light reflecting qualities of your grow area....( white paint, mylar, foil, nothing.... ect)

Ventalation plans.....( intake and exhaust plans, including a carbon filter if needed.)

Nutrient schedule for your type of medium....( lots of reading there.)

Plan for grow cycle...(germ to veg to flower, lighting used...ect.)

Ph reports with posts....( soil, runoff, tapwater, well water...ect)

Time lines of grows with pics sure help. So keep a calander and feeding/ watering log.

As stated many time in other posts, " Read, Read, Read." The stickys are great, somtimes overwhelming. I have picked a grow style I think I can manage but still take the time to read about other styles of grows. Lots of good info, even if it does not pertain to my style of grow.

I am sure other more advanced growers here would be even more helpful if more information is available to them to help us that have the questions.

I have learned from MP that you need to create the correct enviroment for the grow, then plant seeds. Not the other way around.

I hope this is helpful to new growers, like myself. Also I hope this will help the advance growers help us get to the root of our problems.

If there are things on this list that should be added, please post it.

Iams.....( Tail wagging waiting FedEx man )

Soilless=hydro, but you might want to add in there "type of hydro set up, DWC, wick feed, drip line, flood/drain, ect..."

Any type of soil grow indoor will need nutes (but ask what brand), unless you use a super soil mix(list who's mix or if your own list what you used to amend your soil with) in the right amount of it wont extra nutes, then microbes will break down additives to give nutes to the plant.

Should be cubic footage when you plan to calculate how much air you need to vent out in 5 minutes when you go to pick your fan(s) out and square footage for your lighting calculations.

When doing a checklist for lighting make sure you include lumens per sq ft remember a base minimum that will produce a good plant is 3000lums for veg and 5000lums for flowering

Most people just do a passive intake (meaning its just a hole for air to be sucked in by your exhaust fan and every indoor grow should use a carbon filter to keep smell down during flowering its not required during veg though some might use a small one)

Suggest to get a good centrifugal(sp) type fan(inline fan not a duct booster) bigger than what you really need for exhaust usually on a speed controller to help with noise and not over work the fan.

Just my $.02 :)

In my opinion, the first important thing to ask is how much do you want to produce now and where would you like to be in a year, production wise. I know many peeps including myself who started out small with no intentions of being very big, and then had to back up and retool for a bigger operation as the joy of growing came through and the happy customers came knocking for more high quality smoke.

It is so much more cost efficient and less grief to really think about and plan for future growth and expansion. :)

:yeahthat: Exactly what I've been doin the past few months so much debate and planning before even making a single purchase.

You can never read to much about this plant, EVERYDAY we are finding new things out to increase size,yield,potency,colors,etc..

Imagine in 2-5 years the styles we will be using to grow then lol. Seeds that produce bud overnight... (yeaaahh okay, Just a lil rambling in wonderland)

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Soilless=hydro
Soilless is not hydro, as the name may imply. Soilless refers to potting mixes that are based on something like peat moss and usually have perlite and other things added to them such as pro-mix.

sMACk

Latest posts

Back