New Grower from Massachusetts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Fleury

Reaction score
Hello. Started a few months ago. Very challenging and interesting. Makes it more fun to me. I do have a billion questions I will search for. One I can’t get a good grasp on. I have a 2’x2’x4’ tent. After my current closet grow I am planning on doing the tent with Auto-flowering plants. Tangerine Dreams for starters. How many plants would you attempt? Also, any led/cob recommendations for this setup. Thanks. Brian.

Thanks. I was thinking/hoping 4 but didn't want to overdo it. 4 seeds into the glass of water it is.

I am also a Massachusetts grower. My first few grows I did in a 2x4x4 tent. I did grow 4 plants at first but it was waaaaaay to crowded. I also grew using a 4 bulb 4 ft T5 fixture from start to finish. It worked but it was not a great setup. I now have an LED that I like and came recommended by one to the awesome growers here. It is cheap but I am on my 3rd grow with it and it works very well. It is a King Plus 1200 I got from Amazon. They make bigger ones and I would go with the 1500 or 2000(2000 might be too big in your tent) if I were to need another. Search on Amazon for King Plus LED or this is the link to the 1200(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLKUA2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). Get a good exhaust fan and carbon filter to mask the smell. They will smell. I grow in dirt and use organic nutes because I failed miserably with chemical nutes because I was not testing pH like I should. Have fun and ask questions here. People on MP are friendly and have a ton of experience and are very willing to help.

Welcome Brian, this place rocks! They taught me all i know about growing pot, and I gotta say i think i have the hang of it now. Let us know how we can help. Glad you are here.

That light I have heard good things about. Will I need a filter setup for 4 small plants in an aprtment (old)? Don't need to hide it.... Thanks for the gracious greetings.

I’d get a filter. Being in a legal state now, I am not afraid of cops. I am afraid of someone stealing my plants. And my wife doesn’t like the house smelling like we have a few pet skunks. But my real fear is some punk breaking in once I have grown some nice bud and taking all my nice buds.

Everyone in your building will know you have an indoor garden if you are growing it right and don’t have filtration...

Thanks. It will be on my radar. I am a ways away from that. I already have a T5 4 bulb lamp left in apt.. They are white (vitalume plus grow is only writing)so I am guessing ~65ooK. Do people swap bulbs to 3000K ones progeessing to the harvest? These are autoflowers.

I did. I used an assortment. HTG carried something called 10000 k finisher. I used those for quite a while. Really blue hue to them but they made the plants nice and squat. I used 2700 k in bloom along with a 10000 k with UV A to get some UV light. Take a look at my Thai grow in my signature. Those were all T5 plants and I was really happy with those plants.

Welcome Brian, this place rocks! They taught me all i know about growing pot, and I gotta say i think i have the hang of it now. Let us know how we can help. Glad you are here.
Hi, I am a newbie and I am considering buying LED grow lights. Do you have any brand recommendations? What about Mars Hydro?

I started out with cheap led's then i saved up and got Lush lights. They are stupid expensive but love the customer service and I really love the lights.
I don't think i will ever use anything else.

I started out with cheap led's then i saved up and got Lush lights. They are stupid expensive but love the customer service and I really love the lights.
I don't think i will ever use anything else.
If I were buying an LED, what brand would you recommend? I've seen KIND and Mars Hydro in other posts, but I'm not sure which is better

Hello. Started a few months ago. Very challenging and interesting. Makes it more fun to me. I do have a billion questions I will search for. One I can’t get a good grasp on. I have a 2’x2’x4’ tent. After my current closet grow I am planning on doing the tent with Auto-flowering plants. Tangerine Dreams for starters. How many plants would you attempt? Also, any led/cob recommendations for this setup. Thanks. Brian.

Hi Brian.

I live in Mass too!! I am out on Cape Cod, and I grow in tents too (as we have rough springs and early falls our here). I have been growing about 2 years now...get a bit more serious each new crop.

I grow Autos and regular photos. Here is what I have found about Autos.
Paper Towel -> Solo Cup -> 3/5/7 Gal Pot. (after solo, put it in it's "final" container")
If you trim. Take the 5th node down to the 3rd node and that's it.
After trimming, you can LST and gently pull the plant sideways to let inner branches turn into bud sites.
Dont trim or mess with it after that....pull of a few leaves when needed.
Give autos a little less nutrients than they tell you to.
Be careful to watch signs of flowering so you can adjust nutes.

Have Fun!

Good luck with your grow Brian...I’m also in a legal state and grow in a small cabinet under leds...I don’t run a filter but one of these days I guess I’ll get one...I grow in a small shed/shop that I have...I live in a senior community with pretty close neighbours...some of the neighbours smoke and some don’t...mostly I don’t worry about the smell as no one has said anything but I sure love opening my shop doors and the blast of dank I get when I walk in...don’t even have to open the cabinet door...
Led’s Are getting better and better as manufacturers zero in on what works...I use about half of my leds in 3500k and switch in some 2700k for flower...I put together a diy led fixture using parts from solstrip.com and it’s working great for me...there are many good lights out there though...cheers, welcome to MP and have a blast!!!

Last edited:
Hi all. I guess the Old Farts Club is where I belong. I live on Cape Cod too! Been growing a little over a year.....getting better all the time but still learning. Great forum....I've learned a lot here and figured it's time to start posting. Got a 4x4 tent with a Kind 600 w led. Great way to spend my retirement!

Spidey --Welcome to MP -- Don't be thinking the OFC is a nursing home !-- We still kick it old man !-- U welcome to come on over and join us - If U can tolerate an opinionated bunch of old stoner's !-- I get U on a regular dose of cannacaps or some other edible dose and we'll have U dancing a jig !

Latest posts

Back