New Grower, Going strong. Any Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotsaweed

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im a new grower and i just wanted to hear what you thought about my set up soo far. Ive read lots of the grow guides on here and i find some of it easy to comprehend and some of it just seems plain complicated. Anyways! As of now i aquired 7 plants from my friend, already grow started. He had them planted outside in the upper penisula or michigan, and if anyone knows about the weather up there, it gets cold..FAST:eek: !!! He had nowhere to grow them so he gave them to me. They are in pretty good shape except after lookin at alot of the pictures on this website, they seem a tad odd. Alot of the growth is at the top, and not soo much towards the bottom. Ill post some pics hopefully tommorow. But as of right now after transplanting them into new soil they are still alive after about two weeks. Just yesterday i started nutirents in them. It is a 10-15-10 fertilizer. Its the closest thing i could find to a 10-10-10. I hope this will work ok, i can get more info on it if neone would like. They are inside a box covered with foil tape. Ive heard good and bad things about this, what do u think? I have a 12 inch flaurescent Grow light mounted at he top, set on a timer for 12 on, 12 off. Also weve been watering them with a quart of water every 3 days with the fertilizer in the water as it instructed. It said to put it in every water. Right now the plants are in the attic and it is a hassle to get to. Well be moving into the basement soon. Does anyone have any advice for a complete Nube. Thanks soo much
:D

LotsAweed

Lets see some pics and we can check it out. Some more nute info might help as well. How old are they from seed?

As of right now they are all in the same rubbermade container because we are tight on space, and still need to keep the plants secrative. The girlfriend wont be to happy, so i have to strike it to her easy. The container is about 2 feet by a foot and a half. its also about 6 inches deep of potting soil. More nutes, what is a good type that i can find at say any store or any garden store? thanks for taking interest, i should have pics up tommorow! then i can get a real opinion. From seed i think they are a little bit over a month maybe. Im not positive on the real date. sorry...i know that this can really hurt my growing. But my friend isnt positive on the real date. but like i said thanks again and pics should be up tommorow!:cool:

lotsAweed:D

Thas hard on plants when they get bigger and the roots start intertwining!! U should get them separated!

So what would u reccomend? The space is about 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 by about 4 feet tall. Hopefully well be able to get something bigger soon. Is it going to be another more stress on them if i seperate them? Thanks alot guys. sry there arent pics yet, my digital camera isnt working properly, so hopefully tommorow! thanks!

I'd recommend replanting them in a nice mix of soil/vermiculite/perlite.... stress for a few days is better then them choking each other out n possibly dying.

I would keep enough to grow in the tight space and give the rest to a friend to grow, last think you want is a nagging girlfriend... usually its alot like the story line on charlie brown, wa wa wa wan...

ok finally here are the pics of the plants. What do you think? They were growing outside for awhile, and now they are indoors. Why didnt they grow more leaves toward the bottom as you can see in one of the pics? Is this lack of light outside? Well let me know what you think. They seem to be doing very well though. They are all sprouting new leaves and whatnot. Thanks!

LotsAweed:D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

if u have more room under the soil bury them deeper... it'll cut the height down and they'll grow roots from the places theer are no leaves. I've had a couple i've taken from outside do that... dunno y.

ok so we are repotting them as we speak. We have no room left for our large plant now that we are indoors :( . We want to clone as much of it as we can. We just purchased rooting hormone, and several small plastic containers. I have read Hicks tutorial MANY times now and i am still al little bit in the blue. I can see how i am supposed to cut it from the plant, but the second cut, it says 45 degree, i cant see the picture very good. Soo does any one else have any good advice on how to clone and have alot of them survive! Thanks

lotsAweed

Yes you cut them at a 45 degree angle. not straight across. Then cut it again under water. This prevent an air embolism.

Thank you very much!!!! Also, we cant afford the hps lights, so is a rack of 5 cfl lights good for the clones? and how far away should they be? ive read about two inches, and to keep moving the light up with growth. We want to grow them to about 14-16 inches b4 flowering, we have a hiegth restriction. is this bad? Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated@:cool:

lotsAweed

Sorry to hear about the funding problem. but if you want a cheap set up try insidesun.com 100 bucks plus s/h for a 400W HPS. comes with a bulb too.
Reason I say is, you will be dissapointed with using 5 CFL's for flower.
If you do use CFL's keep em 1-2" and use soft whites.
Also I would be tying and training to keep the ht down as well. For flos I'd recommend a Scrog. (Screen of Green). Makes training a walk in the park.

sorry to say that i think you got the tail end of some1 already stripping these for clones and only leaving the tops plus a few sideshoots that were probably small at the time. i would veg them and then take the tops plus any 4" cuttings i could for new plants and scrap the rest. this way you could learn to clone and get the equipment you will need. plus individual grow pots and soil. about 2 weeks to root a clone. if so turn to 18/6 and let them be. DO YOU HAVE HOLES in that rubbermaid box fer drainage? this will give ya time to see that you will need soil, lights, ferts, ph test strips, ph up or down, 2 gal. pots, timer, a fan or 2, just to start proper. then maybe ducting, a carbon filter, commercial fan, a grow guide ect...

you will have to pick up cloning dust or gel, a couple of trays and 7" dome lids, some peat pods, thrive, a razor blade, bowl, ect. just fer the clones. otherwise grow what you have stripped of sun leaves on some.

Dang I need to scroll down more. Man those plants are hacked up. I'd do what astra says man, slavage what ya can. Those babies are hurtin. and yes. one plant per pot.

far right picture; tops only from those 2 but the rest look ok. so maybe you can flower them or just chop fer clones. make sure yer on 18/6. fer clones try to take a 4" cutting then place it stem into a bowl of water. this prevents getting an air bubble in the stem. i do a angle cut from the plant with a razor. does not have to be exactly 45 degrees. ok? peat pods have to be soaked first in bottled water and i add 1/4 teaspoon of thrive per gallon. B1 or thrive is a stress reducer. take the peat pod out and push a hole into the top with a toothpick. take a cutting from the water and dip in dust or gel then insert into the peat pod. give it a squeeze at the top and on the sides to remove some of the water and place it in the tray. you can get 50 easy into a standard tray. then when finished put the lid on and place in a warm spot under yer lights. it should condense up with a mist inside or fog. keep the lid on fer a week, only take off if the mist disappears to add water. cool water not cold. look into T5 grow lights if ya cant afford HID.

Yeah man, someone raped your plants. Get as many lights on them as you can, at this point it doesn't matter what kind, just get them shining on the plants. Also keep the heat down of course.... See if they can sprout some side branches in about a week or two....if so, you will be able to use those as clones when they are over 5" long. I would totally focus on the next batch right now, forget about harvesting smokable bud any time soon. Use your efforts to learn by both reading and talking and actually trying different things. We are here to help!

Dang, I guess I dont need to say anything else....they got it all covered.:D

Oh god...wow. That sucks. It blows when you hear stuff like that, even when u have too. haha! well ill think for the best! and for the future here, now with the ones that are good, can i just cut the stem, like i would a clone, and replant it? of should i just let it go and flower? But for the rest we are just going to clone. Thanks for everything. And about the lights, I think im guna work with the cfls for now, and just get them going, but for flowering i hope to get enough money around by then to get a good set. Also, when i clone them, do i need to put then in something special, or can i put them in a blend of soil? In hicks tutorial he used just a mixture in plastic cups? I thought that looked good. Hit me back!

lotsAweed

Latest posts

Back