New grower needing info on Scrog method of growing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a new grower. I have been researching different growing methods over the past year or so and have decided that Scrog would be the best method for me, giving that it gives you the most yeild from the smallest space.
I just have a couple things about Scrog that I need clarified. First thing I need to know, are the plants not suposed to penetrate (or go above) the wire at all? Also I have seen lots of people saying that HPS lamps are not suitable for vegatative growth. In this case, what do you do when your Scrog is in vegatative state? Am I suposed to start with a different light good for vegatative like flourecent, and then switch out to HPS once the plants start to flower, or do I just stick with HPS the whole time, through vegatative and all?
If someone could spend the time explaining alittle, that would be wonderful, thanks.

flight175 said:
Hi, i'm a new grower. I have been researching different growing methods over the past year or so and have decided that Scrog would be the best method for me, giving that it gives you the most yeild from the smallest space.
I just have a couple things about Scrog that I need clarified. First thing I need to know, are the plants not suposed to penetrate (or go above) the wire at all? Also I have seen lots of people saying that HPS lamps are not suitable for vegatative growth. In this case, what do you do when your Scrog is in vegatative state? Am I suposed to start with a different light good for vegatative like flourecent, and then switch out to HPS once the plants start to flower, or do I just stick with HPS the whole time, through vegatative and all?
If someone could spend the time explaining alittle, that would be wonderful, thanks.
Hey Flight175, welcome to the group! If you love weed and talking about it, then you're in the right place!

The entire purpose of using a restrictive method to restrain the plants at a certain level is to force them to fill the voids in the area below the screen. They will do so because of that restriction. If the plant can just grow up through the screen, it would defeat the entire purpose.

As soon as you notice the plants have completly filled the allowed grow area, you can raise the screen some. The plant will fill it again and again until you've reached the maximum vegetative height you have. Then you flower while doing the same thing through the first 3 weeks of flowering. After that, the plants shouldn't grow in height too much.

As for the lights, HPS works great for both vegetative and flowering growth as long as the proper amount of lumens are hitting the plant tops. Halides work better because of the type of light that they produce, but you'll be pleased either way.

MJ will grow well under as little as 30K of lumens. 50K can be used for many strains and all get used by the plants.

If you use the 50K figure for your crop, your plants will be happy campers!

Good luck to you!

It makes me feel so good to see your reply Stoney Bud. I am so happy to start my indoor growing that it gives me a butterfly in your stomach type feeling.

When I am growing my sea or green garden, will I have to worry about Co2 and humidity? If so how would I get Co2 regulators and humidifiers into a small space? Also I heard that burning sulfur is almost a must in keeping unwanted things happening to your plants. Do I need to worry about these things with the ScrOG or are there different ways in handling them?

Thanks again

Edit: I am unfimiliar with Lumens and how they work. I only know about watts. How do Lumens and watts compare?

-Don't worry about CO2 yet.
-Humidity levels aren't that important.
-DON'T BURN SULFER my gawd who told you that?
-This is an over-simplication, but watts is power consumed and lumens are light emitted from the bulb.

Flo's: 75 lumens per watt
MH: 110 lumens per watt
HPS: 125 lumens per watt

At http://www.urbangrower.com/ they talk alot about sulfur evaporators or sulfur burners. I don't know much about those but they said in order to have a perfect room its a must. The urban grower said it gets rid of mildew and things that generally degrade your flowers.

flight175 said:
When I am growing my sea or green garden, will I have to worry about Co2 and humidity? If so how would I get Co2 regulators and humidifiers into a small space? Also I heard that burning sulfur is almost a must in keeping unwanted things happening to your plants.
Hey flight175, if you keep a good flow of air going to your plants, the CO2 will be fine. You can use more, much more C02, but I would wait until you have a couple of crops under your belt before trying too much at once. Humidity? Again, if you keep good airflow around and through your plants, it should be fine.

You should consider reading the grow guide available on this site. It contains a lot of info on lighting.

Good luck to you.

flight175 said:
At http://www.urbangrower.com/ they talk alot about sulfur evaporators or sulfur burners. I don't know much about those but they said in order to have a perfect room its a must. The urban grower said it gets rid of mildew and things that generally degrade your flowers.
It just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Totally unnecessary. Do you know what sulfur smells like when burning?

Rotton eggs.

Try it if you like. Let me know how long it takes to get rid of the smell and take that crap out of your grow room. Hhahahahahaha

thet discuss sulfer for powdery mildew, just so it is clarified. Nothing I have knowledge on so TBG, Mutt, Ganjaguru, or one of the many other pro growers should take this one. I personally havent found it necessary yet

I am greatly pleased with the responses from you kind people. Thank you and God Bless you all till I talk to you again.

hey no prob flight, hope to see you posting again soon.

Latest posts

Back