New grower needs help

thedutchmaster3

Pot smoker extraordinaire
Reaction score
wutup everybody...im a long time stoner, but am just now trying to get into growing some plants of my own...i have some real good seeds i got from a friend, he said to grow these plants i need a 500 watt light...i have read up about various aspects of light and all that crap...i need some input from you people...my grow room is going to be my closet...its not a bad size...and im only trying to grow 2 or 3 plants...im thinking a 600 watt hps light, the only problem is i have no idea how i would ventilate this closet...i found these lights...Fluorex 500 watt CFL...i hear that if your gona buy lights might as well get the good ones...but i was wondering if these are any good? any help is greatly appreciated.:ccc:

Elephant Man

"MAD SCIENTIST"
Reaction score
Welcome to MP:cool: .

You have quite a few options...we need the deminsions to your closet.
In a typical 'long narrow' closet, probably going to get better coverage with 2 250 or 400 watt lights. But before you buy anything, you have to figure out a way to keep temps under control and ventilation high.

For the first month or so of your plants life, a simple flouro shoplight will be fine.

Cruise around the site and check out some great closet and cabinet setups, lots of different ways to go about it.

Good Luck!:)

thedutchmaster3

Reaction score
im not tryin to buy all different sorts of lights...im probably gona go with the 600 watt hps...from what i hear those are the better ones for both veg and flowering...the closet is a regular closet...im way too lazy to get up and measure it right now but i know i could fit a couple plants in there...will 1 600watt hps light setup be enough for 2 or 3 plants?

Biffdoggie

Test Monkey (Moderator)
Reaction score
600W HPS will do you just fine for both cycles, you could probably even go lower for 2-3 plants if you wanted to. As far as ventilation goes you should get a ventable hood and exhaust it somewhere outside of the closet with an inline fan. This will keep the heat down and draw fresh air into the closet.

thedutchmaster3

Reaction score
say i wanted to flower 4 plants...i would probably plant 6 or 7 and see which ones are females...would the 600 watt hps be good enough to grow 6 or 7 through veg?

Biffdoggie

Test Monkey (Moderator)
Reaction score
Yup, you could probably do 6-7 through the whole way with a 600, but I wouldn't try much more.

thedutchmaster3

Reaction score
alrite man thanks alot...right now im still in the research phase...but if im gona do this i wana do it right and get some beautiful ladies...ive been looking into strains...white widow, g13, and ice all appeal to me...ill keep u updated and when i start i will document it in the grow journal section

Latest posts