New Grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMari

Reaction score
Hello i recently started growing. I have 2 plants on the vegetative state. I made a homemade co2 emmiter and its working just fine. Releasing about 2 bubbles every 3 secs. Recently though, i starte noticing this rusty looking yellowing on the tip of my plants. Its still small, but id like to fix it as fast as i can. Any ideas?

Pics would help us greatly. How old are your plants? How big is your grow space? Lights? Nutrients? If you are feeding them it could be a bit of nute burn. Without pics or at least more info it is hard to tell. I wouldn't waste too much time, energy and or money on homemade CO2. Exchanging your air more often would be more beneficial than the CO2. CO2 has too be regulated at a certain ppm, has to be used in a sealed environment, temps have to be raised etc for it to benefit.

Well the thing is i dont know how old my plants are. You see, it was something i wasnt planning on doing but i droped 2 seeds in a pot in the kitchen just to see and they sprouted pretty quick. So i started putting them on the window cause it was still september with plenty of sun and kind of warm. But then they started to get really long and stringy and then i decided to really get into it and researched and researched. Since the stem was too long i had to buy 2 deeper pots for each(not too big but deeper for the elongated stem) so i burried them so they were at an apropiate heith and then i bought cfls and what not. So pretty much i started over again but now really dedicating time to them. They are doing pretty good so far(ill post pics) Right now they are on some miracle grow with nutrients already in it(it says it lasts up to 6 months). thank you for the co2 advice i thinks thats whats causing it. For now im using a really ghetto set up(for now) with a cardboard box thats about 2' high and 1' 3" wide and long. Lined it all up with white paper(getting some mylar soon).

Most likely it is your soil with the nutrients in it causing your problems. Although I know a handful of growers who do a good job in MG Soil, for the most part it is not what you want to grow MJ in.

Yeah you most likely have PH issues causing deficiencies. That soil is really awful. I see all that bark. I would consider transplanting to better soil. Better soil, a good ph meter, and some nutrients are going to be must haves if you want to make this happen successfully. jmo

Did you see the burned tips ? Its not much but i dont want it to get any worse. Do you recomend any soil? I have so organic soil that i used to plant my other plants (not mj) its organic soil for flowers and vegetables. Ill send a pic

I have never seen that soil and don't grow Organic. Some one will most likely pop in that can help you on that. I use a Seed Starting Mix from Miracle Grow that doesn't have those time release nutrients in it.

ill transplant them into some non fertilizing soil as soon as i can. When do i start adding nutrients after i change the soil?

The bigger ones might need to be mildly fed soon now that they have been introduced to nutrients through the soil. Here is a link to ph meters. http://www.eseasongear.com/phtesting.html
You are going to need one. Everything that goes into my soil, water or nutrient mix, gets ph'd to 6.5. Proper PH is critical to healthy plants. Unless you are an all Organic grower. The you need a good Micro Herd in your soil.

First of all, you really need to do some serious reading if you want to bring your plants to harvest. This is not like growing tomatoes--cannabis has very specific needs and wants. You need to familiarize yourself with what it needs.

First of all, planting multiple seeds in a single pot is a mistake. As is planting more seeds than you will have room to grow--how large a grow space are you planning on setting up? What is your budget for this endeavor (unfortunately this is not a cheap hobby)? The "soil" that the seedlings are in also looks terrible--real barky with no perlite to help with drainage. Cannabis needs to go through wet and dry cycles and this soil looks to be way too dense with little drainage properties. You also do not want any soil with anything in it for seedlings. In fact, prenuted soil is not good for cannabis even later in life unless it is an organic soil with things in it that will break down over time. Seedlings need soil with nothing in it.

Very few soils are usable right out of the bag without adding amendments. I suggest that you check out some soil recipes before you repot to make sure you get a good soil mixture with good drainage properties.

What are your plans for a grow room setup?

Yes i have researched and i know i am far from being succesful right now. But im trying to change this. Im not thinking of making a huge advanced set up. Ive seen people who have gotten decent buds from pretty simple set ups, thats what im aiming for. For now im looking to what kind of soil i will be transfering them into. I dont want them to end up burnt. Remember this was not planned, but im trying to change it. For now just 2 plants and im trying to make a simple closet grow. Your probably a very advanced grower but im just beginning and the reason why i made this, is to learn. Right now my main focus is the soil. Do i mix soils? Or do i buy one with no fertilizer ? Then buy the nutrients?

And we are telling you what you are going to need to do. However, you do need to familiarize yourself with the basics. Read, read, read. I cannot give you better advise than that. We all started at some point, but when a lot of us started it WAS trial and error. Now with the vast amount of information on growing available on the web, new growers should be better able to set up a successful grow from the get-go. This does entail reading a bunch before you ever pop a seed, though. LOL--IMO, if you plant seeds, you are looking to grow--don't know that I would call it an accidental grow.

Unfortunately, this is a hobby that does require a certain amount of money and a whole lot if knowledge. While you can grow "on the cheap", you are not going to get a good yield if you do not have sufficient light. Take everything you see on You Tube with a grain of salt. Some people just seem to get a kick out of lying, grossly exaggerating, or committing downright fraud.

Your lighting is directly related to your yield. It sounds as if you are running CFLs. It is going to take a ton of them to illuminate a closet--they actually are the most expensive of all the lights we use to row to operate and they when you get enough of them, they run hotter. You need a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 for flowering and keep in mind that these are minimums. You can figure that you are going to need 2+ 23W CFLs for every sq ft of floor space for vegging. For flowering, you are going to need more. So a modest size room, say 3 x 2 will require 18,000 lumens for vegging. A 23W puts out a little under 1400 lumens....so for 6 sq ft you would need 13 23W CFLs, plus reflectors and cords for vegging. You will use 300W...or you could check out a 250W HPS. It puts out about 28,000 lumens and uses about 18% less power, is easier to cool, and will produce substantially more bud.

Thank you lots . So i guess im better of with some hps. Ill make sure i do those changes !

This is such a long process that it is heartbreaking to get to the mend of harvest and have little to show for your 3-4 months of hard work and care. We really want you to be able to produce the best you can given your space and circumstances. If you can afford better lighting it will really pay off in the end. And growing great bud starts with a good growing medium. You WILL be rewarded for every improvement you can afford to make. Lights, growing medium, nutrients, genetics, and ventilation all figure in to make a good grow.

Give a shout out any time you have any questions.

Some good organic soils are Fox Farm Happy Frog, or Fox farm Ocean forest. They both have the nutrition the plant needs for the first month or so then you supplement with fertilizers such as Earth Juice...lots to choose from.

Your in good hands with these peeps. We want you to have success.

Hey guys im thinking of changing my soil to fox farms happy frog cause i read that ocean forest can be too hot for seedlings. I decided to start over since i wont be able to get all the supplies very quickly. I want to get everything ready and then get the seeds. Ok so lets say i get ffhf, do i mix it with some vermiculite for good drainage or do i leave it like that? Rosebud said it will provide food for the plant for about a month so after that month i can transplant it to a bigger container and then use the fox farms trio nutrients (big bloom, tiger bloom, growbig) for the rest of the time ? I will only be growing 1 to 2 plants at a time. So ill be using some cfls. Hps and mh require ballasts and thats too expensive for me. Along with that ill get a ph meeter.

Latest posts

Back