New Grower's Devastating Screw-Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeschampion

Reaction score
Well, I done did it up good. I got cocky and decided to double water with a very heavy nutrient load. I am using Megacrop in cal mag buffered coco and have had zero problems. It was going so well I thought I couldn't mess it up now. Well, I am in tears today, I think I killed my favorite plant. I am growing nine plants outdoors (started indoors) and the severely damaged one is Girl Scout Cookies XL feminized non-auto. I had named her Toyon after my favorite Girl Scout troop leader. Well, I am mourning Toyon today I don't think she can recover. Planted June 3rd, she had just started flowering. and has had a lot of weird physical problems like being knocked over, etc., but nothing botanical. I went ahead and flushed her out with two gallons of PH 6.0 water yesterday. Today she looks worse. PLEASE help, and thanks in advance! I am going to post pics of her today versus happier days. As you can see, she looks worse after the flush. Did I just overwater or was it the nutes? Also attaching a pic of my damaged Zskilllz. HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 36
Hi! I know it's scary, but let's find out some more details.

What soil, what ppm did you use? Do you normally let them dry out between feeds/ watering? Do you know the pH of runoff?

Wow great questions, I have not tested the runoff but I certainly will. I do let them dry out between feedings and in this hot sun I was watering every other day with the autos taking much less water. I also never did test the ppm of my soil. I got the coco and washed it really good in a colander and then I let it buffer twice in cal mag solution for 8 hours. This was the only coco amending I did. I think my pots are too small for outdoors (3 gal). What's weird is my two autos which are bloody skunk and Gorilla Girl took hardly any damage and seemed to be ok. Attaching a pic of my bloody skunk who survived that water overdose. But I do think I almost drowned them that day, I watered two gallons each instead of one gallon and I put water bowls underneath to catch the water (which I normally do not do). SO! What do you think! Thanks so much for your quick response.

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like you tried to put a quarter into a nickel machine
Give her a few days and see . Thats what I would do at this point
See what others say
We are Borg we are collective hive here

watered two gallons each instead of one gallon and I put water bowls underneath to catch the water (which I normally do not do).

The 2 gallons instead of 1 in coco isn't a killer. It's probably letting them set in runoff. Runoff is all the salts and old nutrients leaving the pot, might've been toxic.

In coco it's really hard to overwater, it's usually lack of oxygen at the rhizosphere (root zone) not overwatering and so now my opinion is even more that she is probably really rootbound in that small pot and is causing a lack of oxygen in your rhizosphere.

@RosterTheCog 's advice of wait and see is exactly what I would do at this point also.

The 2 gallons instead of 1 in coco isn't a killer. It's probably letting them set in runoff. Runoff is all the salts and old nutrients leaving the pot, might've been toxic.

In coco it's really hard to overwater, it's usually lack of oxygen at the rhizosphere (root zone) not overwatering and so now my opinion is even more that she is probably really rootbound in that small pot and is causing a lack of oxygen in your rhizosphere.

@RosterTheCog 's advice of wait and see is exactly what I would do at this point also.
I agree 100%
I use to grow coco
I had run off trys I would shop vac most of the run off up as to not have them sitting so long
His PPms are prob through the roof

Yep it has been really hot, this happened during a few cooler days. We are back to 100 degrees this weekend, so hopefully they will be dried out and recovered as much as possible by then. Roster I definitely tried to put that quarter in where it didn't belong. And Cannagrammy I was wondering what you use now or recommend since you said you used to use coco. I literally could not believe how well it was going and had to just make it a tiny bit better which is never good. So pissed I have been so patient and really worked hard lugging the water out and Phing it to the nth degree. Also I lug the plants back inside once a week so the gardeners won't be tempted. I am sensing I should have used bigger pots for outdoor grow. Also what PH for the water do you recommend during flowering? Also I am just beginning to add unsulfured blackstrap molasses to the mix, is it too late? I know I need to go way sparingly on that, like a small capful in a gallon once a week. Going to get the whole foods organic kind today, should I skip that? Very last question, here is a better shot of my bloody skunk auto tiny bit of damage. I was told to not trim her, but now that she shows damage should I trim those yellow fan leaves? She is due for harvest in 11 days fingers crossed. Thanks so much for the awesome advice!

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
And Cannagrammy I was wondering what you use now or recommend
Personally I like a peat based medium. I use Promix HP. I like the ability to feed/water often but not as often as coco requires.

Also what PH for the water do you recommend during flowering?

pH is based on the medium used not the stage the plant is in. Most media packaging will say and so will whatever nutrients you use, but I've been pHing everything between 5.5 - 5.8 based off my nutrients and medium.

Sorry, I couldn't keep all my responses straight and my internet is almost gone, actually phone battery and no sun = no charging capabilities.

Anyway, that plant looks great, let her finish with what she has, in my opinion.

And yes, at this point I wouldn't be doing the molasses, imo. I wonder what others do, but I start adding carbs at the beginning of flower.

Latest posts

Back