New Growers Journal for A Newbie, DIY Veg setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of lighting do you prefer?

• Total voters
Okay, so I am ready for more light..Thanks for all the input you have all provided. I am taking it in. I have updated the grow box and also making this Hood and fixture for CFL I had laying around. Best of all it was stuff I had laying around ;-)
I have this light for some time now
55watt CFL
http://www.serviceconcepts.coop/spec-sheets/ge/GEFLE55HT52SWBX.pdf
1. IMG_20190506_035703337.jpg
I was half asleep when originally posting so I am updating...
Old computer case for some sheet metal
2.IMG_20190505_190822964_HDR.jpg
Making it all come together. I measured out and cut the metal sheet into to size.I had to make by own break to get my bends for the Hood...
3.IMG_20190505_200516641.jpg
My setup ;-
4.IMG_20190505_200525569_HDR.jpg
I ended up bigger on one side so I had to trim it down after all of my bends were complted.
5.IMG_20190505_210138829.jpg
Oh yeah!
6.IMG_20190505_210204441.jpg

7. View attachment 252569IMG_20190505_215030900.jpg
Had to make some angles to attach fixture to the hood

8.IMG_20190505_210227271.jpg
Attaching the fixture bracket
9.IMG_20190505_215021006.jpg
Shows the build in the fixture and hood
10.IMG_20190505_225350103.jpg
I had some gold flake paint so i decided to coat the whole thing.

Last edited:
Hi SK.... that CFL is about the most inefficient bulb out there...generates a lot of heat as well. It will only produce some very lite pop corn buds. Anyway you can get a budget LED maybe....Check out Hamster Lewis grow log, he uses budget LED's and get fine results. There are many to choose from with several coming in at 100.00 bucks or less. Good Luck with everything.

Last edited:
Hi SK.... that CFL is about the most inefficient bulb out there...generates a lot of heat as well. It will only produce some very lite pop corn buds. Anyway you can get a budget LED maybe....Check out Hamster Lewis grow log, he uses budget LED's and get fine results. There are many to choose from with several coming in at 100.00 bucks or less. Good Luck with everything.
I figured it wasn't the best however, fills a void until fund-age is more available. I am just glad I had all the material on hand and it didn't cost me a cent ;-) Sucks the bulb is sh!% I think the hood was a good idea for that type of bulb, don't you think. Don't get me wrong I plan and will do this right. I am going to get the light/tent next. It will be a little while until I can afford/budget in that cost. At least with the setup now I can still get my hands dirty and learning.

I figured it wasn't the best however, fills a void until fund-age is more available. I am just glad I had all the material on hand and it didn't cost me a cent ;-) Sucks the bulb is sh!% I think the hood was a good idea for that type of bulb, don't you think. Don't get me wrong I plan and will do this right. I am going to get the light/tent next. It will be a little while until I can afford/budget in that cost. At least with the setup now I can still get my hands dirty and learning.
Are there any decent CFL's this size that I can get for this DIY fixture?

Okay guys time for the "King Grow Box" Update.....:p
I took your advice and added in some foil to the sides, that was an easy fix and man did it brighten this thing up!
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF EVERYONE'S INPUT!
Its always nice to have some knowledgeable friends

I also have the new DIY Hood w/CFL installed also keeping the LED hanging too
IMG_20190506_002845417_HDR.jpg IMG_20190506_032911240.jpg

So I am working on the ventilation as well. I have the fans hooked up to switch and will soon add in ASIC controlled temp and fans....that will be another thread though...Future todo project...I like my electronics too;-)

For Venting I now have 2-12v DC fans, One I added into the body of a dollar tree fan I dismantled the other I have venting through the top.(Thinking of adding in a streach of vent hose across the bottom and add in some Intake holes at the bottom side of the box) Thoughts?

Here is what I have...
IMG_20190506_032834162.jpg

I also opened up the front of the box to drop out for more room while working
IMG_20190506_033803425_HDR.jpg

So what are everyone's thoughts? Am I covering it pretty good?
:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_002845417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190506_002845417_HDR.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 54
Well I removed them from greenhouse. They were reaching/stretching and leaning....I would assume this is due to the lighting conditions, but maybe wrong however, that my thinking.
IMG_20190506_033550830_HDR.jpg

I am sure I will have some fall out from this:(

Yes, replanting is a good idea. Gives the stem some support, as does some wind. I may be wrong, but seems like too warm of a temp will also make them grow a bit fast for the stem support as well.

I started out with 2 x 40 watt SANSI LED lights I found at Amazon.com, here: https://tinyurl.com/y5rzq4an I have a picture of the two of them working in tandem on my first plants. And now my OG Kush Autoflower is coming along nicely. We all have starting point in this growing culture... Keep at it and don't get discouraged!! Yesterday's pic of the Trichomes coming along on the Auto OG Kush.

DSC_0692_crop (Custom).jpg

And closer look (magnified) of the plants Trichomes.

DSC_0701_OGKUSH_XTRA-Crop.jpg

Yes, replanting is a good idea. Gives the stem some support, as does some wind. I may be wrong, but seems like too warm of a temp will also make them grow a bit fast for the stem support as well.

I started out with 2 x 40 watt SANSI LED lights I found at Amazon.com, here: https://tinyurl.com/y5rzq4an I have a picture of the two of them working in tandem on my first plants. And now my OG Kush Autoflower is coming along nicely. We all have starting point in this growing culture... Keep at it and don't get discouraged!! Yesterday's pic of the Trichomes coming along on the Auto OG Kush.

View attachment 252592

And closer look (magnified) of the plants Trichomes.

View attachment 252593
Very nice looking! She is doing very well! I will take your guys advice and prepare to replanting. I am thinking of going straight to 1/2 gallon pots since I don't want to replant again in the future.
Thanks for the advice, I am going to keep at it. I am on a budget however, I am enjoying it with a good DIY setup taken seriously.

Any advice on the replanting? I did end up loosing a couple :oops:
IMG_20190506_231558130_HDR.jpg

I did work on getting the ventilation right for the box. I do think its getting warmer due to heat from the CFL. I added some wood framing to attach some Velcro to help seal things up better to help the ventilation. I will need ot add some weather stripping as there is still a small gap around the door.
IMG_20190506_231846005.jpg

I added in a intake for the box, I also have my modified small fan too so I have some air movement....
IMG_20190506_232039062.jpg IMG_20190506_231858584.jpg

I hope this is good enough, these little fans move a lot of air.

I would think you'd want more than 1/2 gallon pots. I bought some Vivosun 2 gallon pots for my Autoflower. For Indica you probably want at least 3 gallons and maybe even 5. IF they are grown outdoors eventually, you will need some kind of support from all the wind or the pots will blow over, unless you 1/2 bury the fiber pot in the ground. The only reason I went with 2 gallon was I can then use regular $1.99 tomato cages and push it down to where the bottom (smaller) ring is almost, if not, touching ground. Then those cloth pots fit nicely right down in there and the rings give me some support. I too, am "little bird special" cheap cheap cheap.. LOL But, seems to be working for me. might not work for everybody. (disclaimer). Vivosun grow bags. Very inexpensive. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBLDUBO

I think your light should of been strong enough for starting m but it was too high , I used a CFL 100watt to start my clones when I first started growing , gutted an old fridge out , only had the light 4 inches from the plants ,had the trays so I could change the height as the plants grew , once they got the size of basket balls I would move them into a bigger room that I made by lining out a cheap garden shed , an old fridge works well the seals stop light escaping you can vent easy and if you get one with a freezer on top you have all the storage you need , Only my opinion but if I was to replant those I would get some 1 inch rock wool cubes , break them in half then put the stem in between with leaves only half inch above top of cube and the plant in your soil , the rock wool will allow air to get to the stem while keeping it moist (my favorited word MOIST ) if you plant them deep in soil you may rot the stem

I would also recommend going with larger pots than 1/2 gal. With pots that small you will be continually watering and there is simply not much room for good root growth. I would personally go with at least 3 gallon. And sativas will need bigger pots than indicas.

Not many new growers realize that indoors, more plants does not mean more bud. The light you have is basically capable of producing x grams of bud, regardless of the number of plants. In fact, plants that have too little room to grow will produce far less. So, go with decent sized grow bags and don't overcrowd your plants. They need room for good airflow around them. Keep in mind that ventilation is for more than heat control. Plants need a fresh supply of air (CO2) all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. While your little 12v fans will work now, they will not in the future. You will need a centrifuge type fan that is capable of moving some air.

Keep your eyes open for a good buy on a high output T5 fluoro tube light. That is the kind with the small tubes--they are 5/8 diameter. The high output T5s have a good wattage to lumen ratio and I still use them to veg my plants, preferring them over my LEDs. I got a great buy years ago on a 2' 12 tube fixture that I still use. With T5s you have the option of blue tubes, red tubes, or a mixture.

If you can, look into organic growing. There are some real advantages if you have a bit of room and can compost or raise red wigglers. You literally make nutrients out of garbage and don't have to deal with pH adjustments. Plus...it's organic!

I would think you'd want more than 1/2 gallon pots. I bought some Vivosun 2 gallon pots for my Autoflower. For Indica you probably want at least 3 gallons and maybe even 5. IF they are grown outdoors eventually, you will need some kind of support from all the wind or the pots will blow over, unless you 1/2 bury the fiber pot in the ground. The only reason I went with 2 gallon was I can then use regular $1.99 tomato cages and push it down to where the bottom (smaller) ring is almost, if not, touching ground. Then those cloth pots fit nicely right down in there and the rings give me some support. I too, am "little bird special" cheap cheap cheap.. LOL But, seems to be working for me. might not work for everybody. (disclaimer). Vivosun grow bags. Very inexpensive. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBLDUBO
Thanks for the feedback! I will plan differently on the 1/2 gallon pots. I will look into the Vivosun Grow bags,Thanks again
I don't plan to grow outdoors right now and all of my growing will be done indoors. I like the idea of the tomato cages. I would assume you train the plants to the rings. ;)

I think your light should of been strong enough for starting m but it was too high , I used a CFL 100watt to start my clones when I first started growing , gutted an old fridge out , only had the light 4 inches from the plants ,had the trays so I could change the height as the plants grew , once they got the size of basket balls I would move them into a bigger room that I made by lining out a cheap garden shed , an old fridge works well the seals stop light escaping you can vent easy and if you get one with a freezer on top you have all the storage you need , Only my opinion but if I was to replant those I would get some 1 inch rock wool cubes , break them in half then put the stem in between with leaves only half inch above top of cube and the plant in your soil , the rock wool will allow air to get to the stem while keeping it moist (my favorited word MOIST ) if you plant them deep in soil you may rot the stem
Thanks for your feedback, so you think I should lower the lights? I figured in the type/size of grow box I have I could just leave the light where it is. I can make some adjustments to the lights. Thoughts?
What type of CFL do you suggest if I am wanting to utilize the Hood/Fixture I created?
Never thought of using a fridge before, but very smart ;) I had to not this in my book for future reference, Thanks.
Note taken on the rock wool cubes.

I would also recommend going with larger pots than 1/2 gal. With pots that small you will be continually watering and there is simply not much room for good root growth. I would personally go with at least 3 gallon. And sativas will need bigger pots than indicas.

Not many new growers realize that indoors, more plants does not mean more bud. The light you have is basically capable of producing x grams of bud, regardless of the number of plants. In fact, plants that have too little room to grow will produce far less. So, go with decent sized grow bags and don't overcrowd your plants. They need room for good airflow around them. Keep in mind that ventilation is for more than heat control. Plants need a fresh supply of air (CO2) all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. While your little 12v fans will work now, they will not in the future. You will need a centrifuge type fan that is capable of moving some air.

Keep your eyes open for a good buy on a high output T5 fluoro tube light. That is the kind with the small tubes--they are 5/8 diameter. The high output T5s have a good wattage to lumen ratio and I still use them to veg my plants, preferring them over my LEDs. I got a great buy years ago on a 2' 12 tube fixture that I still use. With T5s you have the option of blue tubes, red tubes, or a mixture.

If you can, look into organic growing. There are some real advantages if you have a bit of room and can compost or raise red wigglers. You literally make nutrients out of garbage and don't have to deal with pH adjustments. Plus...it's organic!
Thanks again for your feedback! Sounds like 2-3 Gallon pots is what I am going to be looking into. Thanks, I will be rethinking the 1/2 gallon pots.
Thanks for the info in the fans, for the size box it should be okay. I was thinking of adding in another 12v FAN for intake but thought I would get your alls thoughts.
I would eventually move to all organic at some point. I agree its much better and you can recycle ;-)

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back