New Growers Journal for A Newbie, DIY Veg setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of lighting do you prefer?

• Total voters
I usually repot from the gallon pots to my 3 gallons when the plants are around 8-10 inches tall(200-250 mm if you are metric) or if I start seeing some roots near the drainage holes in the gallon pots. I like to have the plants in the final pot for a month or so to get a good rootball going to support flowering. I also top my plants and have used various low stress training methods so the 8-10” is kind of a loosey-goosey number. Your plants look good. I like short and squat...
Thanks. I have some time then because they are only around 5-8 inches right now. Do you top them prior or after your replant. I am also looking to do some LST on these for some super cropping. I am also learning that this LST should be done during VEG stages of growth.
I am happy at how the plants are looking. I have been using a lot of TLC :D

I think people top after the 5th or so node. I would wait a little on your plants judging by the pics. In lieu of super cropping you can tie the plants down but do so carefully. I usually start to tie/train branches after I top the plant and the new growth gets too dense. I like to try to have an even height canopy(kind of a sea of green). I save super cropping for a last ditch effort if the tops are getting too close to my light(which can happen during the stretch after you switch to 12/12 lighting).

Hey guys...Sorry long weekend wanted to get these up! I was sealing off the top and bottom of the inside of the tent and adding in some magnets to help hold my flap down until I can add my zippers to the tent. I grabbed some pics while I had them moved to the box.

These are from the 25th
IMG_20190525_164710470_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164722134_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164730059_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164732457_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164734665_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164737736_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164739694_resized.jpg
IMG_20190525_164742817_resized.jpg

These are from today. Seems a little warm in the tent this weekend, I have some centrifuge fans coming and just need a little more time, $$
I increased the speed on the fan I have in there up one more speed and re-positioned and its seemed to help.

Here they are.....from today, 29th
IMG_20190529_145146492_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145154675_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145158720_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145202861_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145208825_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145213318_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145218317_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145226864_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145231041_resized.jpg
IMG_20190529_145235642_resized.jpg

Hey everyone! Hope all is well your way! Hope your TLC is making plenty of THC!! HEHE

Anyhow, whew what a night. So I was worried about #6 she seemed to be really droopy and was in need of another watering which meant the rest were right behind too. #6 seems to just stay a little ahead of the others and that meant that I was ready to do my re-pot :D

Luckily for me I was gifted 5-5GAL fabric IPOWER pots, thanks buddy:eek:

I did not want the whole pot being used, so I folded the pots down in half figure thats about 2.5ishGAL. I just might happen to have all six female, fingers crossed, so I don't want them to get too big. I am already pushing it with this tent and six plants. I will know soon when I kick them to flower. I figure I am about a week out on my light switch. I have a move coming up next weekend as well that is going to play havic on the light cycle change from 24/0 to 12/12. Now I have to move my tent to a new environment, but I think it will be okay.
I have them all re-potted and I must say it went pretty good. They had great root balls and they were all ready for a new pot!;) I was listening #6!

Here are some pics.....
IMG_20190531_022138582_resized.jpg
IMG_20190531_022207806_resized.jpg
IMG_20190531_022403554_resized.jpg
IMG_20190531_022434977_resized.jpg
IMG_20190531_032255235_resized.jpg

See number six in the back right, she was droopy. I hope with the re-pot she will perk back up, fingers crossed

The look fantastic SK....all ways one that is a little different than the rest...nothing to worry on it will be fine. Thanks for sharing .

download (1).jpg

They are looking great. I would recommend not putting them into 12/12 until you are moved and settled. They are still small and you have time. Changes in lighting are not a problem when they are vegging. Once they get into flowering, you want to keep your light schedule.

If these are grown from bagseed, keep a very good eye on your plants....especially if you get all females.

They are looking great. I would recommend not putting them into 12/12 until you are moved and settled. They are still small and you have time. Changes in lighting are not a problem when they are vegging. Once they get into flowering, you want to keep your light schedule.

If these are grown from bagseed, keep a very good eye on your plants....especially if you get all females.
Hey The Hemp Goddess, Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to stress them out and I wanted a healthy flowering for them.
They are bagseed and I am hopeful they are all female! I will be sure to keep a close eye. Ill be sure to post for you all :)

:)

Actually, you should be hoping that they are NOT all female. If they are all female, it most likely means that the seeds were formed as a result of selfing...hermy seeds. Although it is possible to get 5 out of 5 females with reg seeds, it is unlikely. Seeds that are made as a result of the female selfing have a lot higher risk of hermying and ruining your entire crop. You are going to need to keep a real close eye on these plants for male parts and do everything you can to not stress them out in any way. Quality seeds by responsible breeders are relatively cheap, especially when you consider what you can get in return.

Green mojo for your plants....and let's hope that they ae not hermy seeds.

Actually, you should be hoping that they are NOT all female. If they are all female, it most likely means that the seeds were formed as a result of selfing...hermy seeds. Although it is possible to get 5 out of 5 females with reg seeds, it is unlikely. Seeds that are made as a result of the female selfing have a lot higher risk of hermying and ruining your entire crop. You are going to need to keep a real close eye on these plants for male parts and do everything you can to not stress them out in any way. Quality seeds by responsible breeders are relatively cheap, especially when you consider what you can get in return.

Green mojo for your plants....and let's hope that they ae not hermy seeds.
Thanks for the advice and mojo! I will be sure to keep a very close eye on them! I have been really good on them with no stress and plenty of TLC :D
On my next grow I will be purchasing some good genetics. These were what I had on hand remember and wanted to giver err a go with my "Bagweed" strain, LoL. 1st grow in all. I am doing well enough where I feel I would safely have a great outcome with some good well know seeds.
LoL, I am open for some seed gifts, just message me. I will be sure to log the progress on here for anyone on my next round :rolleyes:

I was gifted one single Gorilla Glue seed that I am wanting to grow next. Was also given two "Three In The Pink" I am thinking of growing.
I do hope that I manage to get some good yield with my "Bagweed" seeds for my 1st, fingers crossed.

Update guys.
Its now day 34 into my grow and they are very happy and healthy plants. I am interested in seeing them flower, I am so close to the switch and do need to think about getting another wave going in my other box. I am also waiting on the move before starting. I may start germinating my Gorilla Glue and my Three in the Pink seeds. I am excited that I have made it to this point of the grow with pretty good success, knock on wood, thanks to my Friends here! Thanks again everyone! Your input, advice, and suggestions has taken me a long way.:D
I will also need to start cramming in my finishing touches on the tent so I am ready for the flower at least bare minimum, my zipper to completely seal my tent(as of right now I have three magnets that are attached to the flap that help hold it closed) and ventilation. With the move its going to make my $$, kinda short(donations will be accepted) but shit, I have gotten this far with a smile on my face!
All in though, I just can't wait. This sure is exciting and will/has been a great rewarding experience. I can't wait to become a established grower with quite a few grows under my belt!

Also, I still need to top the plants, I plan on doing this tomorrow I think.....thoughts anyone!?
Day 34....

IMG_20190604_014227548_resized.jpg
IMG_20190604_014256248_resized.jpg
IMG_20190604_014307544_resized.jpg
IMG_20190604_014312905_resized.jpg
IMG_20190604_014319624_resized.jpg
IMG_20190604_014330836_resized.jpg

Hey guys. Whew what a past couple of weeks. Got moved and almost have everything settled. I have a lot of work to do to get the tent complete. Vents can now be hooked up.

I did start flowering, 12/12 and am on day three. I can say I'm happy to say I'm pretty sure four outa the 6 are female. I'll get some pics did you can help me determine

I'll try and get some by this weekend. Once I am completely settled I'll get back to my daily post.

Congrats on getting moved. I hate moving so much (I would rather clean porta-potties). Hope I never have to move again.

It is highly doubtful that your plants would be showing sex after only 3 days in flowering. So, continue to keep an eye on them and keep them as stress-free as possible.

Latest posts

Back