New Growers Journal for A Newbie, DIY Veg setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of lighting do you prefer?

• Total voters
Congrats on getting moved. I hate moving so much (I would rather clean porta-potties). Hope I never have to move again.

It is highly doubtful that your plants would be showing sex after only 3 days in flowering. So, continue to keep an eye on them and keep them as stress-free as possible.
Thanks! Yes, moving sucks I have been going night and day to get settled in whew, LoL

My plants must be some good ones because, Yes they are showing signs already! :eek: Plants #1 and #2 where the first. Plant #1 actually showed signes after just day 2, I was also shocked. Its a girl!...Two white hairs...I will get pictures in the morning if time permits(as I am a huge fans of pics, LoL) Plant #2 showed on day 3 the rest seem to be slower at showing.

Right now I need to spend time on the setup to properly ventilate I am still waiting on my fundage for my centrifuge fan :(

I am also now in the basement for my grow area so now I will need to work out the humidity issues however, I hope with fixing some of my venting that will help.

Awesome news, my buddy hooked me up with another light identical to the one he gave me prior, man I was stoked!!!! Thanks buddy!!! :D Nice getting some good lighting to proceed into flowering ;)

Hey guys! So I have some updates and some pics :)

Now, things have been really rough since the move! Laptop crashed!! Time and money, don't they always seem to be an issue sometimes! :(

Now the girls have been flowering now since June 18 and have managed to end up with four female and two were male. I have removed the males from the tent. I have not disposed of the male yet(I wanted to see how they grow too, curiosity) so they are still kicking, LoL. Thoughts for disposal?

Now the four females are doing okay, now, that is. I had a vacation that we went on for the 4th, ended up being a whole week, watering missed, No feed yet high heat and humidity. The plants unfortunately didn't have the TLC and looked a little rough on my arrival. I bounced into action though, quickly spending some cash on poor mans plant food(organic) low nites I think its 3-1-1. However, it seemed to do the trick as they appear to be bouncing back well. I wanted to use this as a general watering supplement to slowly aid them back. What about future watering's. I would like to continue use.

I must express my disappointment that I started this grow and ended up in such a living change that I was not prepared for the amount of variables consuming all of my time. But now lighter, regrouped and things are going well! :D

I have added some 6" centrifuge fans one intake and one outtake, I have not finish the duct runs as I am not sure yet how as I will be adding in another tent soon. I would like to begin to keep some mother plants alive all the time and begin some cloning from mothers on grow 2(hopefully god willing). So I am trying to plan ahead a little. Now you know me! I needed that DIY effect, the fans are pretty powerful for this tent and I wanted to dial it down a little bit. So I made my own fan speed control, Total costs about 10$ hehehe. A 6$ dimmer and a plug...see pic. So I am slowly beginning to get my equipment in line.....
IMG_20190713_232248876.jpg IMG_20190713_232254854.jpg IMG_20190713_232259815.jpg

Heres the girls ......... Now the taller of them I topped to sample no pun intended...so it'll probably have two colas? Now i have not topped any of them prior I have also generally let them naturally grow for the experience but, have been keeping up here in the last four days cleaning them up from damaged leaves and foliage.
IMG_20190713_114116638.jpg

IMG_20190713_114050586.jpg

IMG_20190713_114055656.jpg

IMG_20190713_114100394.jpg

IMG_20190713_114106085.jpg

Here is some more pictures guys!
I truly been giving TLC but they have some issues...I am open to your advice my fellow mates!!!
IMG_20190713_114023235.jpg
IMG_20190713_114031621.jpg
IMG_20190713_114039701.jpg
IMG_20190713_114045524.jpg
IMG_20190713_114337327.jpg
IMG_20190713_114341659.jpg
IMG_20190713_114346453.jpg
IMG_20190713_114352000.jpg

Had to post, pics turned out good.
IMG_20190714_170812_01.jpg
IMG_20190714_171013_02.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_171013_02_01.jpg
    IMG_20190714_171013_02_01.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 38
Plants are looking great!

While I cannot remember the reason, centrifuge type fans should not be on a rheostat--you should be using a fan controller. They are inexpensive--I just picked one up on Amazon for under $12. However, it looks like you have a duct booster fan and not a centrifuge fan. Is pic #2 in post 102 your fan?

Things are looking great! Keep on keeping on ;)
Thanks Del! I am very pleased with the grow!

Plants are looking great!

While I cannot remember the reason, centrifuge type fans should not be on a rheostat--you should be using a fan controller. They are inexpensive--I just picked one up on Amazon for under $12. However, it looks like you have a duct booster fan and not a centrifuge fan. Is pic #2 in post 102 your fan?

Thanks Hemp Goddes! I have been providing plenty of TLC! To answer your question about the fans, I don't think they are centrifuge....I also think they are duct booster fans. I have two of them, they seem to be doing a great job. For what reason do they not recommend the rheostat on cent. fan. I would think the same principle applies with the fan controller...same concept. When you talk about the fan controller the makeup is the same just different package. For now the DIY setup works well, maybe it doesn't look the best but deffinetly works well :D

I still have not vented them to permament location as I am still not sure where I want to vent. Do I really need to vent this to the outside? I was thinking of venting to the basement window instead of the dryer exhaust. I would need to get some reducers and y's to do this. Would it be safe to vent this through? Also, I wanted to setup seperate vent for fresh air intake...thoughts anyone!?

Hey guys! Think things are working well for now. I have some updates and pics on the grow.....

So i have now germ. some more seeds :cool: I know I am behind on these to mature and be ready after harvest of my "Bagweed" strains... due to the move and other things....you know.

Anyhow, I now have some descent strains for round two sizing up :D.
2 seeds- "Three in the Pink"- These guys took charge on the germ. of the seeds. These buggers are going to be some vigurious plants, Awesome! https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/3_In_The_Pink/Exotic_Genetix/

1 Seed- Gorilla Glue- This one also doing well!
4 Seeds- Girl Scout Cookie- Also doing well but the slowest of them all to Germ.
IMG_20190719_230954484.jpg

I was told that the "3 in the Pink" are fem. seeds but I am not holding my breath. I will still need to sex this batch as well however, I feel good that they will all be girls ;)

I do however, plan to choose one of these plants to be a mother and begin to learn and dive into cloaning so I am excited for this grow!

I have learned so much so far on the Bagweed grow. I will be upgrading equipment through grow 2 as I have been able to establish, my preference for growing, my system.

These plants are such a joy to grow. I have been learning so much and cant wait for whats next.
:p

Some pics I collected tonight. I needed to put some time in cleaning up the tent. I have some gnats flying around, not a major issue but, trying to aid keeping these buggers out as best I can.

Let me know what you guys think of the pics.....
IMG_20190719_192421699.jpg

v
IMG_20190719_192743378.jpg
IMG_20190719_192607543.jpg
IMG_20190719_192802483.jpg
IMG_20190719_192913346.jpg

Okay guys, update......
They are doing very well! Some of that TLC has paid off!

Now I am approaching harvest. My 8wk scheduled flowering ends on August 12. I think it's about right on theses but wanted y'all to take a look at pics and provide your input! Please zoom and look at my close-ups for trichome to help me out determine. Unfortunately no jewelers loop to use :( but this camera is pretty good.
Plant #1 the tall boy...doesn't have a lot of Trichome's but I am not sure what to do. She is looking like she is nearing harvest.....your all thoughts....

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input as I near harvest.

Please use link to google photos as I want HD
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S1beq9RxEoKBmkSb7

Let me know if you have any issues seeing them. Thanks Guys!

I also added in the pics of the next wave plants that I have becoming little seedlings :)

I would not depend on an 8 week strain to actually be done in 8 weeks. Breeder's estimates are often very optimistic and based on a very well dialed in grow space. While I believe they have some time to go, it is impossible to tell from the pictures. For goodness sakes, go get a microscope or a loupe. You need at least 30x. The only way to tell if a plant is ready is to look at the trichomes with magnification. It is a critical piece of growing equipment.

Hey THG! Thanks for the reply! I was not depending on it, surly. Being new I just wanted to make sure that things seemed to be on track.
I know, I know, I am going to be getting loop! I was just hoping that some of your guys experience could provide me with some good input on my schedule so far. I was able to pull these below form the pictures....
Tri.jpg
tri2.jpg

Okay guys! I got my jewelers loup, who hooo :D fundimental...

So they are looking great! I have been just providing plants with straight water for about 7 days to prep for the August 12 planned date. I am happy with how the trichs are looking. They are looking nice an cloudy and have not turned to an amber tint yet. I don't want this stuff to set you on the couch though ;)

Here's some pics....
IMG_20190806_172654148.jpg IMG_20190806_172658861.jpg IMG_20190806_172704964.jpg IMG_20190806_172713196.jpg IMG_20190806_172729094.jpg IMG_20190806_172733231.jpg IMG_20190806_172738257.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry, I haven't been on here for a minute. I also apologize for the shitty updates on the grow! I did end up harvesting these plants. It was a blast and I ended up with some great tasting, smooth smoking and great smelling bagweed! All in on the first grow I was pleased! Thanks for all of the support from everyone! All of it helped for such a successful grow!

I did harvest on my planned date on the 12th. Trichome production was good and the plants seemed to be ready! I did to a wet trim on my buds before drying. I used a drying rack I was not however, happy with the way that worked and will be doing this next harvest drying more of a traditional way.

All in though, it was such an experience. I guess I underestimated how much fun and exciting the whole process can be. Just by getting the fundamentals down which really pass through to harvest!

Some pics ;-) Oh pegged it right on to. I got that upper more uplifting smoke as I was trying for the milky Trichomes I still had some amber but not much. I caught them just right!

The TLC definitely paid off. They all smoked incredibly well and tasted so good! I think once I got a good weight I was at like 65ish grams overall. I got a late, very late weigh in. Was a bad time not to have a scale, but I did end up purchasing one!
can2.jpg can3.jpg can4.jpg can5.jpg can6.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry, I haven't been on here for a minute. I also apologize for the shitty updates on the grow! I did end up harvesting these plants. It was a blast and I ended up with some great tasting, smooth smoking and great smelling bagweed! All in on the first grow I was pleased! Thanks for all of the support from everyone! All of it helped for such a successful grow!

I did harvest on my planned date on the 12th. Trichome production was good and the plants seemed to be ready! I did to a wet trim on my buds before drying. I used a drying rack I was not however, happy with the way that worked and will be doing this next harvest drying more of a traditional way.

All in though, it was such an experience. I guess I underestimated how much fun and exciting the whole process can be. Just by getting the fundamentals down which really pass through to harvest!

Some pics ;-) Oh pegged it right on to. I got that upper more uplifting smoke as I was trying for the milky Trichomes I still had some amber but not much. I caught them just right!

The TLC definitely paid off. They all smoked incredibly well and tasted so good! I think once I got a good weight I was at like 65ish grams overall. I got a late, very late weigh in. Was a bad time not to have a scale, but I did end up purchasing one!
View attachment 255256 View attachment 255257 View attachment 255258 View attachment 255259 View attachment 255260
wow, that looks great. How many grams you totally got?

Latest posts

Back