New Here, please read and reply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardog

Reaction score
Aside from some editing of the original email, I would like a few reviews on the rest of my writing.

Okay you win, it looks like I am going to write a small book. It may begin something like this:

I recently received this email from my brother:

cool, thanks. after the past 5 days in class we have a pretty good network of resources set up, see where it goes. are there any guys down there that do like a seed and clone business? like no product but i will help you get started type thing? seems like getting your plants to put off seed would not be horribly difficult. read a brief thing on it this am. getting your males to produce "bananas", then painting on the pollen from them to your lower leafs on your females to leave some room for smokeable stuff on your tops? sound any where near correct?

After thinking about recent conversations with my girlfriend about how I should find another way to capitalize on my skills and abilities as a source of income. With the construction industry at a stand still I was not seeing a future as a small one man construction company. I decided I will take my brothers advice and write a "How To..." book. The book will be my answer to his email. The following was my reply:

I am going to write this as if you are a first timer who wants to do production growing. You will want to save this series of emails in a folder for easy reference.

Ok well clones first. Cloning is an easy way to propagate a large amount of plants in a fairly small space. First off, you germinate your seeds a day before the full moon. This is not hocus pocus this is tried and tested fact. To germinate seeds you will want a reasonable sized flat plastic container that will allow at least 1" of space between all sides and each other. Dampen a paper towel and fold it so that it evenly fits the bottom of the container. Place your seeds evenly spaced on the paper towel. Place another damp paper towel on top of the seeds and lightly press it down to make contact with the seeds. Place the lid on the plastic container and put it in a warm (76-86 degrees) dark place and wait 2 days.

When you go back and open your plastic container you will see that 80-90% of your seeds have sprouted, ranging in size from a cracked seed to a sprout an inch or longer. Now you want paper cups, preferably the non waxed type, the cheaper the better. You will also want some high quality potting soil. I recommend FoxFarm Ocean Forest Blend potting soil or comparable in quality. Don't skimp on your dirt, it is what the plant eats! Fill your paper cups 3/4 full with lightly packed dirt. You will later transplant these into larger containers. Then place 1 sprout in each cup leaving only the green portion of the sprout above the dirt. Place the sprouts in a vegetative lighting cycle (more than 14 hours of light a day) for 14 days.

After veging your plants you want to sex them. To do this you have to tell the plant it is time to flower. Place the plants in a flowering light cycle (12 hours a day) until they start to flower. The males will show first, tiny little bright yellow flowers will appear. These plants need to be isolated from the other plants. Unless you are reseeding, which will be discussed later, you will typically discard the male plants. The females tend to show 3-5 days later and will have small white hairs at the intersection of the main stalk and the branches. Usually the females will show at their tops first.

The remaining female plants at this point are going to become your mothers. A mother is a plant that you keep in a vegetative light cycle and you take cuttings from it to make clones. Mother plants can be kept for years. There are two main schools of thought on how long you can keep a mother plant. Some say that after one and a half to two years the "DNA" starts to deteriorate, others I know have plants they have kept for upwards of 10 years. You will develop your own beliefs and techniques as you gain your own experience with mother plants.

Mother plants take a certain kind of care to achieve maximum branching to produce larger amounts of clone material. After the top of the plant has developed 3 branches you will see a tiny sprout in the tip of the plant. Gently pinch and remove the tiny tip to force it to produce 2 tops. After the two new tops develop three sets of branches you will again remove the tiny sprouts at the tops. Diligently continue this process throughout the mother plants lifespan. If you have height limitations in your growing space you can cut the top of your mother for your first batch of clones. When you take clone material off of a plant, you don't want to take more than 30% of the leaf matter to prevent from shocking it or possibly killing it.

Now you finally get to propagate a clone. Clones are small cuttings from one plant that are nurtured into developing roots. There are many ways to do this, many devices and products are available to make it easier and faster. I will just give you the cheap basic home cloning procedure. You first select what portion of the plant you want to cut for cloning; you want at least 1 branch on each cutting preferably 2. When you cut your clones be sure these cuts are on an angle to provide more surface area for the cutting to absorb moisture through. There should be many small intersects on the mother plant where it has branched from being pinched back frequently and previously cut for clones. After you take a cutting you want to treat it with some type of root hormone. There are many on the market you can use or you can use vitamin-E oil or water in a bucket of soaking willow branches if you want to go the natural route. The one thing to remember is that less is more when it comes to root hormones and nutrients. If you can see it on the cut end then you have too much. Too much root hormone can cause a large callus type ball to appear on the bottom of the cutting. Gently dip the cut end of the plant in your rooting hormone wipe off any excess if necessary then, place the cut end in a root medium.

Root mediums range in type from rockwool, lava pellets, soil blocks or bags, to paper cups full of pearlite with holes for drainage. At this point, the root medium only acts as a support and moisture source for the cutting. You will develop your own preference of root medium as you develop your own style of growing. You want the root medium in a plastic tray to control water and allow you to move and cultivate your plants more efficiently. A clear plastic or lexan lid will help greatly to maintain a higher level of humidity for your clones.

To be continued...

You could type alot, or you could just link him to this site :D

Anyways, welcome man!

Sorry to say this.

If you plan on giving or selling info I strongly suggest you give the correct info and not that load of baloney you have just pasted.

Its 90% total rubbish.

You have a lot of reading ahead of you Wardog.

:peace:

Wardog, are you a friend of mgfcom?

My favorite part so far is the bit about the plants eating dirt.

It is imposable for me to read all that and I do not know englesh well enougf.

Welcome to PM wartdog.

ArtVandolay said:

Have you ever transplanted a plant from a pot? Did you notice that there was less dirt in the pot than when you planted it? That is not all compaction of the soil making it seem to be less soil...

Let's assume the plant "eats dirt" for a moment. Where is the plant "****" and where do you find it? Is plant "****" good for the plant or should I be removing it?

And, how do you explain hydroponic growing?

ArtVandolay said:
Let's assume the plant "eats dirt" for a moment. Where is the plant "****" and where do you find it? Is plant "****" good for the plant or should I be removing it?
Gasses are a form of waste produced by plants so I guess the oxygen you breathe is plant ****, ROFL

Hydroponics is a way to grow plants providing their "food" through a liquid nutrient mix replacing the soil, not so different from a patient in a hospital being fed liquid nutrients through an NG tube...

wardog said:
I am going to write this as if you are a first timer who wants to do production growing. You will want to save this series of emails in a folder for easy reference.

Will i? I'm sorry i shouldn't judge.

I would feel my way about a bit and get talking with people to ask if my theories or thoughts were correct especially if your passing them on as advise.
Don't be put off they given you a bit of stick but they also know what they on about.
Think its just the way you gone about it

ArtVandolay said:

I am sorry I do not know who or what mgfcom is.

I would post you a link or explain but trust me you don't wanna know, it just something thats got out of hand that needs to be forgot

Newbud said:
Will i? I'm sorry i shouldn't judge.

I would feel my way about a bit and get talking with people to ask if my theories or thoughts were correct especially if your passing them on as advise.

This has been an interesting experience posting here. I am a second generation grower and have worked with several growers with 20+ years experience. I spent 2 years in Humboldt CA working a room that had 27 1000 watt bulbs. While there the best harvest was 62 lbs. and change, that is more than a gram per watt, you do the math(2.29 lbs per 1000 watts). I have a seed library of more than 26 different strains and crosses ranging from Reclining Buddha to Samantha Blueberry.

Aside from a few humorous points I was not going to reply to the nonspecific criticism I received here but, I could not stop my self. I sure hope you folks are getting better than a gram per 45 watts ROFL! Some of you self proclaimed Gurus might do some more homework on the subject before you run your mouths.

The preceding information posted is not comprised of THEORIES and IDEAS, this is all tried and tested information. Until you have tried and proven your self correct it might behoove you to think before you speak.

I am not interested in a flame war or arguing with any of you.

No hard feelings and good luck to you all...

wardog said:
I am not interested in a flame war or arguing with any of you.

No hard feelings and good luck to you all...

No hard feeling too hope i didn't cause you too much offence

fight fight

lol

only jesting btw i always get 5 gms per watt

NOT

uk420man

Latest posts

Back