New Here & To Growing (lots of details - advice needed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p0ison

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first time growing and I wanted to get some advice on how i'm doing and maybe take some tips from those of you with experience. I will try to be as specific about details as I can.

- I germinated my 3 seeds on a small plate using wet napkins.

- After a couple days, their "tails" had sprouted and I proceeded to plant each of the seedlings into a standard, plastic planting pot (8", I think).

- I used organic potting soil called Earthgro. Ingredients of the soil, as written on the label are as follows: (primarily derived from one or more of the following: hypnum peat, forest products or compost), sand, perlite and a wetting agent.

- I am growing in a rather large sized closet and this is my current light setup in there:

1 48" flourescent light fixture containing the following bulbs:
+ 1 GE 40W plant & aquarium
+ 1 GE 40W sunshine

I am running these lights 24/7 at the moment. Fixture is hanging exactly 4" from the tops of the pots. (I've read that perhaps I should have them closer but I still need to run to Home Depot and get some chains for adjusting the fixture)

I also have a standing 16" 3-speed oscillating fan, which I havent turned on much.

The temperature inside the closet has been staying at between 65F and 75F and the humidity has been between 45% and 50%

As for watering - I've been watering them about every other day. Basically, I'm trying to keep the dirt just moist enough as I dont want to drown them. Any water that runs off into the collection tray, I immediately discard.

Also, today I ordered the following nutrients:
+ Fox Farm Grow Big Organic Based Concentrate Quarts
+ Fox Farm Organic Big Bloom Quarts

Anyway, Today was the day I noticed that a couple of the sprouts had REALLY begun to come up (One has 4 tiny little leaves on it) so I figure I'd see how I'm doing.. I really dont want to mess anything up.

Thank you in advance for your comments/advice. =)

Hey, welcome to the forum. That is a well thought out and planned grow.
I hope to see pics.
p0ison said:
As for watering - I've been watering them about every other day. Basically, I'm trying to keep the dirt just moist enough as I dont want to drown them. Any water that runs off into the collection tray, I immediately discard.

Also, today I ordered the following nutrients:
+ Fox Farm Grow Big Organic Based Concentrate Quarts
+ Fox Farm Organic Big Bloom Quarts

As for watering. This is probably the most common mistake of most dirt growers. You want the dirt to dry out a little. Helps get oxygen to the roots and promotes root growth. They have to grow out and find water. Also overwatering can cause root rot. Thats bad news.
A general rule of thumb is to stick your finger 2" into the top of the soil. If it is dry then it is time for water.

You chose a really good fert.
Do not start adding those ferts until the 3rd week. Then start at 1/2 strength and work up from there.

Hope to see some pics. Good luck and Happy growing. :D

^Oh, thank you so much. Thats exactly the sort of advice I need. I feel like I understand the basic stuff but theres still a lot of little things I need to learn. Now I don't feel so worried about the water issue though. Thanks.

so does this mean I'm doing alright? No one has any more advice?

Sorry I dont have any pictures.. some dog chewed up my digital camera.

p0ison said:
so does this mean I'm doing alright? No one has any more advice?

Sorry I dont have any pictures.. some dog chewed up my digital camera.

Whats up p0ison. Sounds like you off to a nice start. I would try and leave your fan on. Not only does it supply your seedlings with fresh air but it will also help strengthen the stems. Good luck on the rest of your grow.

Alright.. well It has been about a month since my 3 little plants sprouted.

Today they are all around 7" tall. I still have them on 24/7 fleuro lights.. about 2" from the tops of the plants.

Also, I mixed a gallon of water with some Fox Farms nutrients which I have been feeding the plants every 3-4 days.

Well on one of the plants, The very botton fan leaves have turned yellow. They arent splotchy, just yellow.

I read that it could be a nitrous deficiency? Or perhaps they arent in large enough pots?

Any advice on this would be VERY helpful.

Have you checked PH.
O'wise. with florou grows it is not uncommon to have the bottom leaf do that. As not much light is getting to it. So the plant will direct its energy to the upper part getting the light. Florous do not have much Canopy penetration. But do keep an eye on the rest of the plant. IMHO

Oh thank you. Yes, that could be it. I have not checked the ph. I need some sort of special device to do that, right? Well I dont have one and I cant afford to buy anything right now. Is there anything else I can do to get light to those lower leaves? Will mylar on the walls help? Foil? Anything like that?

You can get a PH Tester at home depot for about $10.

Alright well if I get one of those, what should the ph be at? And if it needs to be higher or lower, what do I do then?

Sorry for all the questions.
You guys have been such a great help.

I think its between in between 6.0-7.0 but to avoid nutrient lock up it 6.4-6.6 being ideal.

Is there anything else I can do to get light to those lower leaves? Will mylar on the walls help? Foil? Anything like that?
Mylar or flat white paint are your best choices to improve on reflected light. Tin foil is great for the BBQ. :)

Hey Poison, nice to meet you. I have one question....did you notice the yellowing leaves before you started ferts or after? If you noticed it before it could have been the plants using the bottom leaves as food factories since there was not enough nutes in the soil. The same thing happened to me and then once I started adding nutes it stopped for the most part. Just an idea, but it definitely sounds like your headed in the right direction. With guys like Mutt, Hick and TBG picking up your posts your in good hands. Oh and GCR's advice is right on, you need to test PH. Peace Out and GG

The yellowing seems to be spreading to the upper leaves now too =(

I noticed the yellowing leaves after fertilizing.. Ive been mixing ferts with a gallon of water and then watering my plants every few days. I have the FOX FARMS GROW BIG nutes so that should be good, right?

Im going to try testing the ph, balancing it to what it should be and repotting the plants in larger pots. Does anyone think I will have a problem if I do this all in the same day?

Definitely sounds like it could be nute burn, you should get a second opinion on that though. Testing the PH is a step in the right direction. You might want to flush your plants and let them dry a tad before you transplant and then start back on fresh water with eventually going back to weaker nutes. Hope this helps, good luck!

I tested the ph level today and it was around 8

The testing kit i got was sort of shitty so Im not sure how accurate it was.
So what do I do to get the ph down? I was thinking of buying some manure if that would work.

The yellowing is now spreading the my Widows and I'm really beginning to fear for their lives.

I need help on this one, guys.

ALSO: I bought 5-gallon buckets that I wanted to transplant them into .. how would I go about doing that? They are all around 8" tall now.

Latest posts

Back