New here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AA 2174

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I saw this post about someone with WPW and he/ she was saying how they love to smoke and would it affect your heart. Well I have WPW and I was born with it as well so I know everything u going through and everything u went through. I just start smoking. I started when the virus broke out. Now before I couldn’t smoke or do anything. And I ask my heart doc could I smoke and he said it was ok. But u have to decide for ur self talk to ur doc. Trust me, I know what you went through when u was younger.I love smoking now it’s so relaxing for me. I make sure I take my med. smoking do bother my heart.

In Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome, an extra signaling pathway between the heart's upper and lower chambers causes a fast heartbeat (tachycardia). WPW syndrome is a heart condition present at birth (congenital heart defect). It is fairly rare.

The episodes of fast heartbeats seen in WPW syndrome usually aren't life-threatening, but serious heart problems can occur. Rarely, WPW syndrome may lead to sudden cardiac death in children and young adults.

Treatment of WPW syndrome may include special actions, medications, a shock to the heart (cardioversion) or a catheter procedure to stop the irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).

WPW syndrome may also be called preexcitation syndrome.

Symptoms​

The most common sign of Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome is a heart rate greater than 100 beats a minute.

Episodes of a fast heart rate (tachycardia) can begin suddenly and may last a few seconds or several hours. Episodes can occur during exercise or while at rest.

Other signs and symptoms of WPW syndrome are related to the fast heart rate and underlying heart rhythm problem (arrhythmia). The most common arrhythmia seen with WPW syndrome is supraventricular tachycardia. Supraventricular tachycardia causes episodes of a fast, pounding heartbeat that begin and end abruptly. Some people with WPW syndrome also have a fast and chaotic heart rhythm problem called atrial fibrillation.

How does the heart beat?​

A typical heartbeat
Typical heartbeatOpen pop-up dialog box
The heart is made of four chambers — two upper chambers (atria) and two lower chambers (ventricles).

The heart's rhythm is controlled by a natural pacemaker (the sinus node) in the right upper chamber (atrium). The sinus node sends electrical signals that typically start each heartbeat. These electrical signals move across the atria, causing the heart muscles to squeeze (contract) and pump blood into the ventricles.

Next, the heart signals arrive at a cluster of cells called the AV node, where the signals slow down. This slight delay allows the ventricles to fill with blood. When the electrical signals reach the ventricles, the chambers contract and pump blood to the lungs or to the rest of the body.

In a typical heart, this heart signaling process usually goes smoothly, resulting in a resting heart rate of 60 to 100 beats a minute.

In WPW syndrome, an extra electrical pathway connects the upper and lower heart chambers, allowing heart signals to bypass the AV node. As a result, the heart signals don't slow down. The signals become excited, and the heart rate gets faster. The extra pathway can also cause heart signals to travel backward, causing an uncoordinated heart rhythm.

@AA 2174 , welcome to the club. Sorry to hear about your heart condition, I too have one, mine is AFIB, though if I understand you, smoking sativa is a "no-no" with AFIB?

I've never discussed this with my Dr., perhaps I should. I've been smoking pot for most of my life including since the time I was diagnosed, and that was 10 yrs ago. Though I will say I"m still smoking like a stoner and there has been no heart condition change for the worse since.

Anyway, glad you came aboard and I"m looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

@AA 2174 , welcome to the club. Sorry to hear about your heart condition, I too have one, mine is AFIB, though if I understand you, smoking sativa is a "no-no" with AFIB?

I've never discussed this with my Dr., perhaps I should. I've been smoking pot for most of my life including since the time I was diagnosed, and that was 10 yrs ago. Though I will say I"m still smoking like a stoner and there has been no heart condition change for the worse since.

Anyway, glad you came aboard and I"m looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
Ive been dealing with Afib since my open heart surgery back in 2013. The Beta Blockers and Thyroid meds keep it under control. Mine is the type that hits all of a sudden and kicks my ass. I damn near pass out and my chest hurts like a mother fker because blood is not being pumped out of my heart properly. Ever since I upped my thyroid med it has pretty much gone away. I still have to be careful with Coffee and Sativas. So I drink Decaff coffee and smoke weed that is more Indica-leaning. I drink beer almost every day but I can't touch hard liquor because it can cause Afib.

Latest posts

Back