New Hydro grower needs set up help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Diablo Verde

Reaction score
I've recently made the decision to switch over to hydroponics and was wondering if anybody could give me some recommendations of an economical set-up to utilize a 1000w HPS and some strains that excel in hydro. Thinking about maybe starting with this http://sunshinehydro.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=16991&cat=404&page=1, and then eventually improving when we move later this year. I have an entire bathroom devoted to growing and was wondering if anybody had any better ideas for hydro on a budget, no more than $500 right now. Thanks

ok.
Purchase a 4' x 4' ebb n flo tray, along with res., pump, timer, air stones, line etc.
And 16 8" planters, and a sack of gro-rox.
Start the seeds in peat pucks or clones in oasis cubes, stick 'em under your 1K & your set. Veg until 15" tall, flip timer over to 12/12 and they'll finish at approx 3'.
I like ebb n flo for it's low maintenence. Due to unforseen circumstances I was away from my garden for 10 days. When I returned I was overjoyed to find everything fine and dandy.
Total cost is under $200.00.
That's the set-up I ran for years and was consistently getting 1.5 lb. (16 x 1.5 oz.) every 3 months.

Thanks guru. You think if I go to my local hydro shop(just found I had one the other day, yay!) and ask them for this they'll give me the proper set up? Because just about the only I know about hydro is it grows weed fast and well. I just ordered a book on hydro growing and have been researching tons. Just a couple quick things. It's ok to veg under the HPS? I've always used flours and am eventually going to get a MH conversion bulb or maybe even a whole new ballast. I have a good flour veg set up but do you think I should just use the hps? Also, what hydro nutrients would you recommend. I'd prefer to stay organic as most of the bud is for me and friends. Thanks again

This my opinion. Sorta backed up by that link in my sig. "how to get more females outa standard seeds".

MH or florous for veg. (Blue spectrum-imitates the summer months)
HPS for flower (reddish/orange spectrum-imitates fall)

Thats what I always thought. What do you guys think of this link?
In the second portion of it, a guy discusses using organic soil in combination to a hydro system so eliminate the need to maintain the ppm and only have to worry about the pH. http://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=5669
Thought it was worth a read

If heat isn't an issue, HPS is just as good as MH for vegging.
Ed Rosenthal says the MH might appear to resemble spring/early summer sunlight, but this is just to our eyes.
For the best of all worlds, upgrade to an EYE or full-spectrum bulb like the Agro-Sun or Horti-Lux.

yeah, were getting the hortilux upgrade with our HID at insidesun.com .
"Purchase a 4' x 4' ebb n flo tray, along with res., pump, timer, air stones, line etc.
And 16 8" planters, and a sack of gro-rox."
what size res, and pump and the 8" netted or standard pots?

"I like ebb n flo for it's low maintenence. Due to unforseen circumstances I was away from my garden for 10 days. When I returned I was overjoyed to find everything fine and dandy.Total cost is under $200.00."
Which color tray do i need(black or white cause black is much cheaper)?
And what strains excel in hydro? We were thinking of ordering 10 W.W., 10 Pure Power Plant, and 10 northern lights. Good place to start?

you can build your own 5 gallon filter with a bucket , 2 bathroom fans one for exuast fan ,ducting, tape , and 30 bucks all together
buy 5 3 gallon tubs 20 bucks get some thin plastic cover get a butane lighter melt plastic and strecth with siccors put you hydroponic pot to make it fit perfect strecth until perfect you should be able to get 9 plants 3 in a row per resorev 46 plants in all buy nutreint and supply ph all that 70-90 bucks will last 3 havest. put in veg for 3-7 days 10 to be sure swicth to 12-12 flower 50-60 days if done right you can harveste every 2 1/2 month.also get a 8 outlet timer you can purchase it on ebay of 12 bucks each

Hey Diablo,

You can buy that setup you linked us to for 100 bucks. Yes, 100 bucks. Just do it yourself. It's simple. Go buy a bin, get a hole saw, cut some holes, put in a spinkler system, and go Aero, not hydro, you'll be impressed.

Oh yeah, if you're going to grow with a 1000, get a digital balast, they've cone a very long way, unlike my spelling.

Cheaphydroponics.com is a great place to shop.

Latest posts

Back