New member's first journal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyc411

Reaction score
Well, first off i'd like to thank everyone for all their great info on this forum. It has really helped me learn about a lot but i understand that greatness doesnt happen overnight so i dont expect greatness from this grow but hey i can try can't i?

Specs:

Dimensions:
Closet
32" (deep) x 46" (wide) x ~6' (height)

Lighting:
250w Sun System V HPS with a 270w Sun Agro bulb

Soil:
FoxFarm Ocean Forest
Nutrients:
The FoxFarm trio

Accessories:
Walls covered with mylar, 16" oscillating fan

This is only my second time growing so bare with me.. my first one unfortunately turned out to be both males(only had 2 plants going from bagseed). Had high hopes for them but unfortunatley my inexperience got the best of them but i did learn a lot. I'll post the pictures of them and my old room. They were pretty healthy for what they were :D.
Now that im on my second attempt im trying to perfect all my past mistakes. I'm trying some seeds i got from a friend from some "fire" bud. I also managed to get 1 Blueberry seed. The BB is kind of my little baby, hopefully she is female :D. I'm kinda taking this as a trial run as well so i can order some beans and take the best possible care of them. It's not that I don't care about these but im also trying to see what mistakes i make this time so i'll be all set for the next time or at least better prepared.

The Plan:

For this grow i'm going to try to flower these really early, only 2-3 weeks of veg time. Basically im gonna let them get big enough to get transplated from keg cups to one gallon conts. Then ill give them a few days to recover and flip the lighting from 24/0 to 12/12. Im not gonna clone or anything like that because to me unknown bagseed isnt worth the time, effort and money. I'd rather do that when i get my Nirvana NL :rolleyes:.

Unfortunatley they are suffering from something I've narrowed it down to overwatering/not enough O2 to roots, magnesium deficiency and/or lights too close. I'm leaning towards the first 2 but i could really use an experts opinion:).

Well here are my babies at approx. 10-11 days from sprouting.

You can't really tell from the pics(cell phone cam :cry:) but some of the leaves have slight yellowing discoloration with very few brown spots. To me it's wierd because some have it some don't but they were all given the same nutes/lights/conditions. The only good things is that it only appears to be on the first true leaves and not on the new growth but what do i know :eek:

0427081923b.jpg

0518081209.jpg

0518081210.jpg

bbedit.JPG

How often are they watered?
have you got holes in the bottom of those pots?
Have you fed them?

yes ive poked 3-5 holes in the bottom, working on getting a tray for them if thats what you're getting at :D

they get watered every 2-3 days whenever they feel light/the top 1-2" of soil is dry

i fed them some FF grow big a couple waterings ago but ever since i noticed a problem i fed straight water for the past two waterings

edit: i dont have anything to test ph with, going to the hydro store tomorrow to grab one.. they arent open on sundays :/

they are in FF ocean forest soil. ive really been thinking about the problem and its got to be either nute burn or mg deficiency. i moved the light away to about 18" hopefully that stops the curling of the leaves. it shouldnt be PH though because im using the same tap water i used to grow the one in the first pic. i distill the water for a while before it gets used too. idk just need some help :cool:

Just a little update... Plants are now 12-13 days old and from the looks of it they are recovering from my mistakes :D. Leaves are uncurling and all the new growth is lush and dark green. Im so excited haha

pic 1: good pic of all of them, looks like some wont make it though :/

pic 2: best one out of the bunch :D

pic 3: my last plants nodes were never so closely spaced, im pumped!

pic 4: hopefully my blueberry recovers

0520080803.jpg

0520080803a.jpg

0520080803b.jpg

0520080804.jpg

hey friend...Things look good..I would like to say I feel that 12-13 days old is too early for nutes...I dont feed mine untill 3-4 weeks old then I start Low and work up...i use FF and with seedlings you should be useing "Big Bloom"..also get yourself a moister meter, like $15 at wallmart.Heres some GREEN MOJO to help those babbies along

they are just about 2 weeks old now. i removed a few of them that were growing realy slow and crinkly either from giving them fertilizer too early or just a crappy pheno from the mystery bagseed. either way they had to go :/

Crazy,
Glad to see you growing bro, believe me it's addicting. At two weeks old, I'd go ahead and transplant to the big buckets now. With the added room for the roots to grow and the fresh nutes in the added soil, the plants will grow more vigorously. That way they're as big as they possibly could be in that really short veg time you're giving them.

Also, too early on the nutes. Ocean Forest packs ALOT of punch, it's GREAT stuff. Sometimes, very rarely, it's even too hot for seedlings, but not usually. For future reference, when the cotyledons (very first round leaves) start to yellow, you know it's time for some nutes, BUT not much at all (like an eighth of the preferred dose). It's VERY easy to burn with FF nutes. I burned the MESS out of all my soil plants with it EVERY grow, I swear I never learn. If you got to your local grocery store in the medicine section you can buy a dropper syringe (used to measure out medicine for babies). Use that when measuring your nutes out. 1 teaspoon = 5ml (5cc) and 1 tablespoon equals 15 ml. This is MUCH more accurate than using actual spoons and what not. Hope this helps. Obviously, the more you try the better you'll get. Took me darn near a year to have one somewhat perfect crop. I'll be watching!

just a little update:

all healthy plants (10 of them) were transplated to their 1 gal containers. i also grabbed a pH test kit from general hydroponics... if i knew they were this cheap i would have got it a while ago :eek:. also, does anyone know how far i should have my light from them, its a 250w hps and how long should i let them recover from transplanting? i must say though i think i did a pretty good job i did it quick and i didnt damage any of the root sytem that i could see if that matters.. but now for the pics!

pic 1: ph test kit!

pic 2: full view of plants with 1 added fluoro. for supplemental light on the edge that doesnt get much :D

i'd say they are looking much better what do you guys think?

0521081205.jpg

0521081206.jpg

Well done crazy, they look healthy, the 250w is ok for small plants, it will be far too weak when the plants start growing, with 10 plants you will need 2 400w (depending if you plan on growing big plants), on week 4 start with 1/4 strength feed, what NPK are you going to use?
PH is VERY important to get correct, if its out of range your in for troubles, what is your ph reading?
1 week from transplant and they are settled.

thanks for helping me out Hippy :D. well i just finished testing the pH of the original water and it was reading ~7.0 which isnt too bad but who knows what it read when i added the nutes before :(. i adjusted all my water to ~6.0-6.5 so i should be all set now. i'll be using FF nutes and for the lighting i was never really planning on growing big plants, i planned on getting another 250w hps but maybe i should just get a 400? i was thinking about growing lowryder since it seems that will be the only strain that i will get optimum results with my setup. after these recover from the transplant for a week like you said, im gonna start to flower because i know the light isnt that great so i figure they will end up 1-1 1/2 ft. tall which should be able to get enough light penetration. thanks for checking up on my journal, i'm definetly learning a lot because experience will always beat any reading you do (believe me i did a lot haha).

Yeah i say wait a few days and throw them into flower don't wory about giving them neuts till they are in flower and thin i would give them a 1/ dose of veg neuts and a 1/4 dose of flower and on your next feeding do just 1/2 strength flower neuts...

well the way it looks ur plan is working good so far here some green mojo for them little babies

thanks ann and timmy :D
i was kind of wondering about a fert schedule but you took care of that for me haha

Latest posts

Back