new meters

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
Just got a new Hannah phep meter and was wondering am I supposed to calibrate the thing before use? The instructions are kind of vague and after getting the same basic reading from my drops it then varied by 2.5-3 points. Also didn't realize I needed storage or calibration solution.

orangesunshine

Drama Free
Reaction score
Just got a new Hannah phep meter and was wondering am I supposed to calibrate the thing before use? The instructions are kind of vague and after getting the same basic reading from my drops it then varied by 2.5-3 points. Also didn't realize I needed storage or calibration solution.

it should have been calibrated in the shop u got it from---there are a calibration vids on you tube search

Hackerman

Reaction score
They are calibrated at the factory so it's probably OK. Get some 7.0 solution and stick it in it. If it reads 7.0, you're OK. Otherwise, follow the instructions on the back to calibrate it.

ALWAYS keep the tip in water or solution. NO distilled water.

zem

Reaction score
good luck with that, you will need it :48:

P

P Jammers

good luck with that, you will need it :48:
Agreed, Hanna meters at least the cheap ones everyone buys are crap. Personally I'd calibrate the thing every time you use it they are that bad.

Once a person is serious look no further than Bluelab.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Agreed, Hanna meters at least the cheap ones everyone buys are crap. Personally I'd calibrate the thing every time you use it they are that bad.

Once a person is serious look no further than Bluelab.

I found this out the hard way. You are 100%. I was calibrating the thing every time I used it, after seeing it in use a few times. Bluelab is the pure winner for me. I really want to get that $300 one, with the two probes you just drop in and the main unit reads out all the things :D

P

P Jammers

I found this out the hard way. You are 100%. I was calibrating the thing every time I used it, after seeing it in use a few times. Bluelab is the pure winner for me. I really want to get that $300 one, with the two probes you just drop in and the main unit reads out all the things :D
The Guardian, yes I have 3 of them, and the combo which is really all one needs.

They also came out this year with one that is internet ready so you can read it on your smart phone, and a doser that you can hook up and control with a phone.

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
Gee.. That bad? I got the pen one not the skinny one with the square like head.

P

P Jammers

Gee.. That bad? I got the pen one not the skinny one with the square like head.
You had me at Hanna...

They used to be great.

If you're just checking PH
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bluelab-pH-Pen-Measuring-Temperature/dp/B005POOJHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426699315&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+lab+ph+pen[/ame]

Your plants will thank you.

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
Lol. I got you P. Heard in another thread in beginners that Hannah was OK. Looking back it says as long as its stored in 4.0. Trying to stretch my tax returns and save cash. Oh well. Will any solution brand do? And I bought a blue lab truncheon.

Last edited:

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
The one you have is better than the Hanna one I got, let's put it that way Broman! :D

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
OK Dr. I'm living and learning. Need to order solutions.. Does brand matter there? Ordering the fidos from your kitchen spot. Best price. And another 2 weeks on the cotton candy and strawberry blue it seems. Its like waiting on babies.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
I don't think brand matters. I use the Bluelab brand now, as that's what my hydro store offers, but I've also used GH brand. :aok:

P

P Jammers

And I bought a blue lab truncheon.
A very good choice for a tester. When it comes, go to their site and register it. Any issues at all under the warranty, make a claim and it is replaced no questions asked. They stand behind every product they make.

Hanna, not so much...