New mower day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
After last weekend, and the first time I didn't have enough energy to mow, I have broken down and bought a riding mower.

John Deere S140. Should be plenty for my yard. I figure that while this time was a first, other times are likely to spring up as I get older. Done and done!

Bubba

You got a riding mower for $140? Wow! I still do it the old fashioned way. You just have to have the right mower.

iu

After last weekend, and the first time I didn't have enough energy to mow, I have broken down and bought a riding mower.

John Deere S140. Should be plenty for my yard. I figure that while this time was a first, other times are likely to spring up as I get older. Done and done!

Bubba
I just got the Deere S130 I wrote and asked which one you were buying a few days back
Oh well
Your deere is exactly the same as my S130 except for a larger deck I have 42 inch.
I like the tractor so far the larger back wheels from my old Jdeere L110 take some getting use to when getting off LOL.
Your tractor has the easy change oil filter which is 55 dollars just so you don't have to change oil but it only drains a Qt from engine when you do and a quart remains in engine (dirty Oil) .
I found a kit on ebay that you can replace the expensive filter with a old cheap version.
There are youtube videos on how to do it , very easy.
And I overrode the reverse safety switch just by pulling the plug to it under the dash easy peasy. done.
I really like the S130 so far you will too.
Any questions just ask

I just got the Deere S130 I wrote and asked which one you were buying a few days back
Oh well
Your deere is exactly the same as my S130 except for a larger deck I have 42 inch.
I like the tractor so far the larger back wheels from my old Jdeere L110 take some getting use to when getting off LOL.
Your tractor has the easy change oil filter which is 55 dollars just so you don't have to change oil but it only drains a Qt from engine when you do and a quart remains in engine (dirty Oil) .
I found a kit on ebay that you can replace the expensive filter with a old cheap version.
There are youtube videos on how to do it , very easy.
And I overrode the reverse safety switch just by pulling the plug to it under the dash easy peasy. done.
I really like the S130 so far you will too.
Any questions just ask
I was a little confused. They had the s130 and s140 at same price.....both had 22HP V twin, 140 had 48 inch instead of 42, electric pto, and three blades instead of two. Why the same price?

Bubba

I was a little confused. They had the s130 and s140 at same price.....both had 22HP V twin, 140 had 48 inch instead of 42, electric pto, and three blades instead of two. Why the same price?

Bubba
I wondered that also, maybe to get people to buy the larger deck one.
Not many gates can accommodate the 48 inch deck
But same exact tractor engine and all

I wondered that also, maybe to get people to buy the larger deck one.
Not many gates can accommodate the 48 inch deck
But same exact tractor engine and all
Fortunately, I have a double gate. Hadn't thought of that. Plus, three blades to service instead of two...maybe 130 would have been better.

Bubba

Fortunately, I have a double gate. Hadn't thought of that. Plus, three blades to service instead of two...maybe 130 would have been better.

Bubba
Could always take it back and exchange it
Lowes gives a few days return on tractors I believe
You could exchange it without any cash money coming into play

Yup, they had those oil change things. I will need that, the mulching attachment (50ish bucks) and I would really like the little snow plow....about $450....ouch! Bubba may have to wait on that.

Bubba
I have a plow on an older heavy duty Montywards garden tractor
Without wheel weights and chains dont get a plow , It wont push heavy snow deeper than a few inches

You got off cheap. My Million Dollar Deere cost me just shy of $4700, which is more than I've ever spent on a lawn tractor. I got the X350R with a 42" deck 'cause I've got spots around the house that you can't get a 48" deck in. The rear discharge is sweet once you get used to the idea that you can mow as close on the right side as you can the left. Works great in the fall for picking up leaves, too. You never have to leave the saddle to dump it, either. I like that feature 'cause I'm lazy.....

Roster, make sure you pull that jumper wire off the backup safety if you ever have to take it in for service. Any mods can void your warranty.

Congrats!!!!
I am going to need a mower soon. Zero turn preferably. I will probably buy used. Any advice on brand or size for a 10 acre parcel?

Latest posts

Back