New plants, new problems!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks!
Got a neighbor who grows for the dispensaries and I acquired two ready to flower plants. I have put these under my two 400 HPS on a 12/12 and moved everything else under the fluros in a separate location. Since I haven't sexed any of my other plants, (except for the little auto, she's a girl!), I have separated them from my two new ladies. My problem is seperation anxiety I guess! LOL!! I've been told to toss those other plants, but it took me so long to get them going this year, I really want to see what they are! They could all be put into flower now, but I only have one grow room. Go figure, I couldn't get anything to germinate initially and now I have plants coming out of my ears! I think what I'll do is once the auto is done, I can flower under the fluros, just enough to sex them, and then move any females under the 400's. I will be getting a few more fluros, I don't think seven lights is enough to flower under. And it will probably be the wrong light spectrum but I guess I'll see what happens!

i'd repeat what the others told you to toss them, but since you "really want to see what they are!" then i guess it's your right to do it :) why not consider getting another HPS instead of adding a bunch of fluros? pics would be interesting ;) good luck

zem said:
i'd repeat what the others told you to toss them, but since you "really want to see what they are!" then i guess it's your right to do it :) why not consider getting another HPS instead of adding a bunch of fluros? pics would be interesting ;) good luck

I already considered getting another HPS, but have nowhere to put it!:( So I'm in a quandry. I have separated the girls from the unknowns. I won't risk them, but another light would mean a third set-up and I don't have the space. This is only temporary though. Now that I can clone, I won't need an extra spot, just my cloning tent and main closet. I am going to try and flower under the fluros but I guess I could replace the fluros with one new 400?? That might be possible. I will think on that! Thanks for the input!

what is everything else, and why the call to toss them?

is your worry getting a male and him pollinating your girls?
if so, put em all under there anyway. (just don't crowd the space to much ;))
you have a decent amount of time from when they first show dude till they start bursting. it's not like you'll go in there one morning and find seeds everywhere ;)

:)

every strain i have grown, and its been 100s, all show sex in veg. after 4-5 weeks they will preflower. why throw away unsexed plants that makes no sense to me, wait another week or so and start looking hard at the nodes (mostly around 4th05th node) for the preflowers.

PuffinNugs said:
every strain i have grown, and its been 100s, all show sex in veg. after 4-5 weeks they will preflower. why throw away unsexed plants that makes no sense to me, wait another week or so and start looking hard at the nodes (mostly around 4th05th node) for the preflowers.

I haven't tossed any of them! What would a pre flower look like, cause these plants are far beyond 4-5 weeks of veg. If there was a way to tell sex now, that would be great! My plants are actually ready to put to flower, which I had started a couple days before I acquired my two females. My other plants are 24-30 inches tall but I separated them from the two girls and put them under the fluros. I am in the process of building a bigger chamber than the one I am using. And I think I'll get another HPS for that too. So I'll be set up pretty good then!!:D Is there a pic of preflowers somewhere?

look around where the branch meets the main stem.

015_preflower_1.jpg

016_preflower_21.jpg

not my pictures, got them from google, but no, just differnt angles. those look female to me.

sometimes hairs dont come out, or are almost microscopic, but eventually get longer and easier to see.

m_and_f-pic1.jpg

also heres some great info and pictures, hxxp://www.breedbay.co.uk/forums/breedbay-grow-guides/201341779-breedbays-ultimate-plant-sexing-guide.html

If you watch those little bulbs as the plant matures the female will swell and produce the 2 little hairs but the male will extend the bulb on a little stem and will look like a "sucker on a stick", and will not produce any hairs.

PuffinNugs said:
also heres some great info and pictures, hxxp://www.breedbay.co.uk/forums/breedbay-grow-guides/201341779-breedbays-ultimate-plant-sexing-guide.html

Thanks for this link! Very informative. My one big plant that I had moved out of the closet got moved back in tonight! Very not male looking! I will continue to check daily to make sure. I started it in flower four days ago, so I'll know soon!

PuffinNugs said:
not my pictures, got them from google, but no, just differnt angles. those look female to me.

sometimes hairs dont come out, or are almost microscopic, but eventually get longer and easier to see.

LOL--and I thought it looked like a male. The truth is that in the pics that just looks like new growth--there is really no sign of sex yet. IME, hairs always come out on female preflowers--sometimes they are just really small. If you keep an eye on your plants, you have plenty of time to get males out of the room. Once you have seen the difference between males and females, you will not worry about telling one from the other again.

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--and I thought it looked like a male. The truth is that in the pics that just looks like new growth--there is really no sign of sex yet. IME, hairs always come out on female preflowers--sometimes they are just really small. If you keep an eye on your plants, you have plenty of time to get males out of the room. Once you have seen the difference between males and females, you will not worry about telling one from the other again.

I actually did OK with this last year. I was able to get the males out in time. But then all seven of my ladies hermied at the tail end of flower. Just before I harvested as a matter of fact. I didn't get any mature seeds , just nice buds. So maybe I hadn't got the males out in time. I don't know how long it takes for a male to infect the female. I am just nervous about my new plants. I am keeping all my plants until I find out what they are!! I put too much work into them to throw them out. The males show themselves first anyhow so I'll have time to get them out as you and others have said. I am trying cloning this time too. I will be able to grow all summer this year as I have someone to watch over things when we go camping.

The males do not always show themselves first--many times I have had females show first.

A plant that hermies and a plant that was pollinated by a male are two entirely different things. For a male to pollinate a female, the pods have to have opened and released pollen--this is something that you can see. In addition, if pollinated by a male in early flowering, the seeds would have been well formed and ripe. I am suspecting that they probably did hermie and that was the reason for the seeds (I highly recommend throwing hermie seeds away--hermies breed hermies). What did you grow the first time and where did you get the seeds?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Why baby preflowers can be deceiving. But in the second picutre if you look close enough you can see the hairs poking their heads out. Plus by that size a male would be sticking out more on a "stem", more of a round shape than the teardrop shape.

The Hemp Goddess said:
The males do not always show themselves first--many times I have had females show first.

A plant that hermies and a plant that was pollinated by a male are two entirely different things. For a male to pollinate a female, the pods have to have opened and released pollen--this is something that you can see. In addition, if pollinated by a male in early flowering, the seeds would have been well formed and ripe. I am suspecting that they probably did hermie and that was the reason for the seeds (I highly recommend throwing hermie seeds away--hermies breed hermies). What did you grow the first time and where did you get the seeds?

I have no idea what I grew the first time! LOL! I used whatever seeds I had at the time. Just bag seed. And of the plants I grew, the males showed up about two weeks after I put them in flower, the females seemed to take forever! But I'm sure it depends on the strain. I'm checking them very carefully!!

if things are showing 2 weeks into flower, your putting in there a bit too soon imo.

Plants need to be sexually mature before they can flower. I'm with Puffin--if it is taking 2 weeks to show, they are probably not sexually mature when you are putting them in.

Craterlake--hermies are common with bagseed. This is the reason that I never recommend using bagseed.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Plants need to be sexually mature before they can flower. I'm with Puffin--if it is taking 2 weeks to show, they are probably not sexually mature when you are putting them in.

Craterlake--hermies are common with bagseed. This is the reason that I never recommend using bagseed.

And because of that advice (which you gave me last year too) I threw all my bagseed out. That is why I had such a slow start this year...I had no seeds. The two week thing was from my first serious grow last year. That was when I started removing the males. When they became obvious. I was new at the sexing thing. I am still a little, but I have been studying pics so maybe I can sex them sooner. How long should it take to be able to recognize the males? Different for different strains probably. I read here on this site that you can sex them when still in veg. Some folks don't believe that I have found! I'm not good at it yet, but I'm learning!:D

Latest posts

Back