New to all this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baddestruffest

Reaction score
Hi guys just gotten into the world world of growing. Living in the UK
and keen to get my first grow underway.

Welcome to MP, you are at the best place to learn to grow the dank. Enjoy your first grow, nothing like it.

Well my idea is this, 2mx2mx2m tent (I have a large spare room) with two 600w hps lights 8" rhino filter and extractor hooked up the the vent in the wall with two 12" oscillating fans for maximum air circulation. Also considering a passive co2 generator. Only thing I'm not 100% on is whether to go soil or hydro. Thoughts/criticism is more than welcome.

I would forget CO2 enhancement for a bit, at least. There truly is a large learning curve to this hobby. Learn the basics. There is more to CO2 than just sticking a generator in the space.

I believe that you will find yourself underlit with 1200W in a 200 x 200cm space. You are talking about 43 sq ft (if I did my cm to inches to feet conversions right?) A space that is 43 sq ft requires an absolute minimum of 215,000 lumens. Two 600W are going to be 180,000 max, depending on the bulb you use...so quite a bit short. I recommend either going to a smaller tent or going with 2 1000W rather than 2 600W. Your yield is directly related to your yield. And underlit spaces produce willowy plants with fewer bud sites and light airy bud.

I know that people always say that soil is more forgiving, but hydro has some benefits, IMO. Part of what I like about hydro is that the plants react very quickly to any changes you make...good or bad. Proper pH and monitoring of your ppms levels is critical with hydro. I believe that you use more nutrients if you do regular res changes with hydro than with soil. You may see a bit better vegetative growth with hydro, but flowering is the same. I have never found any organic nutrients that work well with hydro, so organic and hydro don't really go together. Res temps have to be kept in check or you can develop root rot and other problems. Serious overnuting can kill a plant overnight. And like I mentioned before, proper pH and ppms are critical.

I also recommend starting out with good genetics. While some may believe that it is better to start with bagseed, that is such a crap shoot and growing takes so long that, IMO, it is well worth it to buy good genetics. If you have properly educated yourself and don't have unforeseeable/uncontrollable problems, even your first grow should be good.

Some will say not to start out with hydro, but I think, if you educate yourself properly that there is no reason that you cannot end up with a good harvest.

I think that one of the mistakes a lot of new growers make is going into this without understanding how complicated indoor growing can be and how much it can cost to set up a good space. Make sure that you know what is entailed--the life cycle of cannabis, the nutrient needs during the different phases of life, lighting and ventilation requirements, training techniques, growing methods and anything else that looks pertinent. The more you know and are able to utilize it, the better your grow will be.

You might want to start out a bit smaller and then work up. A lot of us that have been growing for a while and have the space set up separate veg and flowering spaces. This may be a better idea for you than having one large space. You can harvest every 2 months or so or have a perpetual harvest and harvest on any schedule you set up. Plants veg in one space, which can be smaller than the flowering space. When ready, they are moved to the flowering room and you start new plants or clones.

So, read, read, read so you do not mistakes. This includes both buying errors and growing errors. The buying errors can be as costly as the growing mistakes. It is probably a good idea to get the opinion of the masses here before you make purchases. Often someone can help you to make a purchase that is not going to do what you think it is or someone knows where to get the same thing for less. There are a lot of advantages to belonging to a forum like MP.

Well my idea is this, 2mx2mx2m tent (I have a large spare room) with two 600w hps lights 8" rhino filter and extractor hooked up the the vent in the wall with two 12" oscillating fans for maximum air circulation. Also considering a passive co2 generator. Only thing I'm not 100% on is whether to go soil or hydro. Thoughts/criticism is more than welcome.

Forget the CO2. At this point just providing enough fresh air with ventilation will go a long way. Worry about all that later. Walk before you try to run. :)
What are your plans for a vegging space? Or are you just gonna pop some beans and see them through? It pays to set up a separate Veg space and get good at cloning. This way you can hang on to good cuts and run them perpetually.

So you think I would be better off with 2 separate smaller tents?
I will have a look see. I do like the idea of perpetual growth though and am very interested in getting cuttings going.

Do perpetual correctly, and you can quite literally harvest when YOU want. Currently, I have it setup that I harvest an entire 4.5' x 4.5' tent every 4 weeks almost to the day, every time. :D

Welcome and goodluck. Oh yeah, listen to these guys... I did!

2 tents
1 for flower and a smaller one for veg.

I would get my grow dialed in. Before trying perpetual grows or using CO2

Yes, I really think that you would like having 2 tents if you have the room and the money. It is nice not to have to wait 4 months between harvests. If growing for personal use (and maybe a friend or 2), something like a 2 x4 or a 3 x 3 veg tent and a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 flowering tent should be enough. The 4' tent will accommodate 4' T5s (which we all recommend for vegging), with the 3 x 3 you will need to get 2' tubes. Though I did find a great deal on a 2' 12 tube fixture a while back (30,000 lumens for $125).

While the plants are vegging in the smaller tent, you will have time (8 weeks or so) to set up and test the flowering tent, which is the one that really needs to be dialed in. When the plants come out of the vegging tent and go into the flowering tent, you start another plant. If I am taking clones, I try to take it a week or so before I flip the plant. You do get into a rhythm. I do run different strains with differing flowering times, so don't have nearly as neat a cycle as DGF.

I have grown this way since the late 90s and cannot image not having 2 spaces. Even now (I am wintering at my sis's house), although I only have a 5 sq ft cabinet, I am dividing it in 2 with a vegging space on the bottom and a flowering space on top. I figure that I can put 2, maybe 3 smaller indicas in there. The larger sativas will grow at my permanent home in the mountains.

There is a big advantage to having the budget to get started with this hobby right. This is one of those things where quality equipment pays for itself. You can set up a real decent space for less than the cost of 3-4 ozs of quality cannabis.

I like the idea of a perpetual grow so obviously separate vegging and flowering tents make the most sense. Also been looking at having a smaller still cloning tent? The space is no issue and the budget I was looking at was around 700-800 to begin with. Of course if needs be then I can save a little more to get things right first time. I have seen a 4ft T5 for 70 pounds so not really much more than a 600w hps so no issue there.

I like the idea of a perpetual grow so obviously separate vegging and flowering tents make the most sense. Also been looking at having a smaller still cloning tent? The space is no issue and the budget I was looking at was around 700-800 to begin with. Of course if needs be then I can save a little more to get things right first time. I have seen a 4ft T5 for 70 pounds so not really much more than a 600w hps so no issue there.

I have 3 "spaces" in my Grow room which is a small 2nd bedroom.

I have my Flower Tent which is 4x4x6.5. (2 LED Fixtures)
Veg Tent is 2x2x5. (4 bulb 4 foot HO T5 fixture)
Clone cabinet which is just a plastic cabinet from Home Depot. Maybe 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Inside is a single 26w CFL bulb.

I used to run a thousand watts of HPS in my Flower Tent before switching to LED. I have gotten great results with both.

I'm also working on 3 spaces . 4x4 Bloom Tent with 1000watt HPS a small dresser top with Mylar around it and a 2 foot 4 bulb T5 HO for seedlings and baby's. Then I'm gonna build a PVC Tent and put a 4 foot 8 bulb T5 HO in it to VEG. If you do it right like hammy said can be done in a small space.

Just plan and then plan and some more .

Latest posts

Back