New to Growing - Help would be appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine409

Reaction score
I'm new to growing, and this will be my first crop. I picked up Cervantes' book, and his five easy gardens books, along with reading a number of sites, but I'm still slightly worried about this. I've heard contrasting opinions, but I'm curious what type of bulb I should use? Approximately how long will it take once I begin the process, and is there anything else I should know before I begin?

Thanks.

HPS (high pressure sodium)

MH (Metal Halide)

or florous will work ok but to maximize HPS for flower is the way to go.

you want about 50W of light per sq. ft. (min. 3,000 lumens per sq. ft)

HPS will get you through a full grow fine.
I prefer Florous for veg a mix of cool white and soft white. and HPS for flower.

Note:
HPS: Reddish/orange spectrum imitate fall months (flower)
MH/Florous: more Blue spectrum which imitate Summer months (Vegatative)

Welcome Brine..You are going at it in a great order..."read, read and read"..great choice of books too. Just gotta' get your feet wet now.
From seed to maturity, indoors, will run around 3-4 months. 6-8 weeks of veg to "sexual" maturity, and 6-10 weeks from onset of flowering to "mature buds" Somewhat strain dependant, but a general time line.

Thanks for the quick responses, really appreciated it. My grow space is a personal closet, about 3' x 3'4" x 7', so not that large, but I live in a city, so about all I can spare. I was thinking of splitting it for clones. I've ordered my seeds, 10 White Widows. How many should I plant in order to be able to confine the growth to my given space? Also, how can the odor be eliminated? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back