New to Hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome info Trillions thanks a bunch. So as soon as the seeds germinate I can just place them in the ton ? Im going to have to invest in some PH up and Down too. I have some nutrients that came with an aero garden I bought a while ago I will take a picture of later to show you guys and see what u think. Micro, grow, and bloom I think were the 3. I also have superthrive I was planning on using as well.

I would recommend using either rockwool or rapid rooters for your seeds. You are not going to be able to let the seed pop and then just drop it into the hydrotron filled net pots. IMO you really need some kind of medium for your seedlings. I do not put into net pots until I have good roots out the bottom of the cube. Clones can be done without, but not seeds.

superthrive is geared more twards cuttings but ive heard of ppl using it for seedlings. I dont think its needed.

when you see roots out of the rapid rooters or rockwool then you place into the ton. depending on what method of growing you do depends on watering times....if using ton i would water once every hr until roots get established then back it to every two hrs. i flood my ebb n flow with freshly rooted cuts once every 2 hrs for 15 minutes but depending on what your medium is and the method these watering times will be different.

get some pics up and let us know what system you have and we will let you know if ittl work. if its a small desk type aero it will work to get them started but i wouldnt flower in it....

Thanks for all the info guys.. Right now I have 4 test seedlings in the small desk type aero. They have this sponge material they are sitting in. I will get pictures up as soon as possible. Im Thinking Im going to go with the DWC method. I ordered some net pots and ton and now I just need to get the air stones and air pumps for wal mart. The hard part im having now is that I dont know how much if any nutes to give the seedlings starting out in this small aero garden. Im using some bag seed to test my methods in for practice until I learn more and can stablize solid growth. I will post pictures of the small aero garden and the nutes and the buckets im going to be using for the DWC. Thanks again for all your help.

For seedlings, I start my nutes at 1/4 strength for the first week, progressing to full strength over 3 weeks, using rockwool cubes, I try to let them get quite dry before watering. It seems to work and the seedlings look nice lush & green. I don't foliar feed them as I want to encourage roots.

For clones, it is more or less the same only the clones get a once a day foliar spray for the first week. Clones also have a half strength rooting promoter added to their water.

I have read in many places it is better to under water and under feed than over. A lesson I found hard to deal with until I realised I was almost killing my plants with kindness (and stupidity)

Hope this helps a bit.
Peace
Woody

Plants do not want or need nutrients until they are 3-4 weeks old.

Aero gardens do not work well for mj. I would get some DWC buckets going as soon as possible.

Yea I just got some 2 gallon buckets yesterday Hemp Goddess. Im just using the aero garden for another few days until I have the time to make my DWC buckets.. With the DWC method It just uses the water from the 2 gallon resevoir and I dont have to water the hyrdoton do I ? Im just a little confused.

I also tried to post some pictures but they were 900KB so it said they were to big ?? Im trying to figure out ways to get around that.

Hi ** (I had to chuckle typing that)
Go with what THG said about nutes for the first couple of weeks, I am very much a novice but will try to help.
You dont have to water the hydroton, it is handy for topping up your solution when needed though. The roots sit in the solution with air being pumped into it which stops the roots from rotting and lets them breath. The top of the solution should look like it is boiling.
It doesnt get much simpler hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZwQlItvZ-A

Peace
Woody

"the hemp goddess"- plants dont need or want nutes until they are 2-3 weeks old?

I know the plant cant support itself for 2 - 3 weeks in hydro or soil without nutrients.

I think I read that wrong.... Please explain because if you said that right i couldn't disagree any more. :eek:

No, I do not give seedlings any food until they are 3 weeks or so.

well they are getting the nutrition form somewhere.... :confused: The soil you use might permit that but i dont see how that could be true in hydro which is what we are discussing.

they need some sort of nutrition their entire lives, where it comes from is a different story.

Hmm yea thats interesting..Im still waiting on my hydroton and nets to start because Im an idiot and didnt go to my local hydro store and ordered online instead. Now Im forced to wait my while seedling are still in the Aero set up. I did give them a tiny bit of the micro nutrient that came with the aero set up and also a tiny bit of superthrive to help with any stress they might be taking with that aero set up because I know hemp goddess said aero set ups arnt good for MJ.. These seedlings like I said are the test subjects so when all the materials arive I planning on germing some nice strains I have laying around. I was also wondering if I should germinate them using the paper towel method for hydro? because If i were growing dirt I almost always use small peat pots. Thanks again guys.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No, I do not give seedlings any food until they are 3 weeks or so.

I also follow this regiment with excellent results. :aok:

Not sure if this will be of any use to you BSK, I have just put some seeds that have cracked into 1" cubes and they will be going into a bubbler once they are ready. They will be a little behind yours probably which is a tad unfortunate, a side by side would have been fun.
If you check out the journal in my signature it may help.
W

Duck ....you got something on your bill..... lol :p

Since we are talking hydro and not soil I would not recommend putting them in peat starters.The peat breaks up and can get into your hydro system and it is best to keep all the organic particulate you can out of lines, pumps and any filters or pre-filters you might have. Have you decided on which method of hydro you will be doing? DWC? ebb and flow?

If the aero cloner you have uses neoprene inserts you can germ in wet paper towels until they develop a long enough tap root to where you can place them into the aero unit until you can get your hydro setup up , tested and running... they will need a low dose nutrient to start before the three week mark. by the time you hit three weeks you should be running a ppm of at least 800 if not more. Cuts by three weeks can take more because they come from mature plants, which I run them at least 1200ppm. (The ebb and flo you can run a higher ppm considering the roots are only in the solution for 15 minutes....DWC ppm will be lower at three weeks as the roots are sitting in the solution the entire time.)

You can start seedling in rapid rooters (preferred) which will not break up as the peat "pucks" will over time.

If using rockwool be aware that it is easy for a novice to overwater them if you have never used them before. they dont drain like other mediums and can easily dampen off a seedlings taproot if you are not careful.

goodluck!

BSki8950 said:
I also tried to post some pictures but they were 900KB so it said they were to big ?? Im trying to figure out ways to get around that.
How to resize pictures
I see we have a number of members can't seem to figure out how to resize pictures and post them. Here is how we do it. ;)

(1) Click mannage attachments

(2) Click browse

(3) Locate your picture and right click it

(4) Stroll down to open with then click on paint

(5) Up at the top you will see something that says Image click on that

(6) Stroll down and click Stretch/Skew

(7) Change the numbers in the boxes from 100 to 25 then click ok

(8) Close the screen down by clicking the red x in the top right corner. Once this is done you click yes to save picture.

then upload, then click on paperclip and attach photos to your post

they will need a low dose nutrient to start before the three week mark. by the time you hit three weeks you should be running a ppm of at least 800 if not more.

from my experiences if I were to use a ppm that high, that early, they would be dead.

do you run an ebb and flo...please do not read into my post to pick apart to much.

as i said start with a low dose when you begin setting them into your system. if they are running an ebb and flow the ppms can run higher because of flood times.

i have run 1200 ppms on a 15 minute flood tome with dark lush growth and no burn. this is DIFFERENT from running other systems for young cuts and seedlings. which i would start @ around 400ppms including a dash of liquid clonex.

This guy has not even told us exactly what he is doing. so i am trying to give him advice on what I am running currently as compared to the DWC (which he talked about being interested in)...

a week old 400ppm
2 weeks-800 ppm
3 weeks- 1000-1200ppm
4 weeks -1200+ depending on strain.

THIS IS EBB AND FLO with a 15 minute flood every 2-4 hrs.

As stated before DWC numbers will be lower. :D

I can show pics of clones just rooted running 1200 ppm on a tray with 3 week olds and they are BOOMING. So no CUTS will not die in an ebb and flo @ 1200ppm.

He is talking seedlings so please reread what i wrote talking of cuts.

:D

All of my PPMs are based on a reading of under 5-15ppm rainwater.

I am not picking your posts apart TOA, just relaying my personal experiences.:D

Latest posts

Back